Quantcast

Disc Brakes on Vanilla 130 RLC?

Discussion in 'The Shop' started by need2ski9, Dec 10, 2005.

1. need2ski9

need2ski9 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Just got back from my LBS where I tried to get an adapter for an 8inch front rotor on my 2005 Vanilla 130 RLC (hayes disc system). The guy at the shop said I can't put an 8in rotor up front on that fork because it will create too much torque for the dropouts and QR axel. Is this true? I know it used to be a problem on older forks, but man, these dropouts look huge. Whats the deal?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Brian HCM#1

Brian HCM#1 MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 11
    Yes you can, here's from the manual.

Disc Brakes Important - Torque calipers to brake manufacturer's specifications.
    Disc brakes with 160-203mm rotors can be used on FOX FORX. Do not use rotors larger than 203mm. Install disc brakes and torque all fasteners according to manufacturer’s recommendations. Install, route and check that all cables or hydraulic hoses are securely fastened to the lower leg and will not move during compression of the fork. It is recommended
    that new disc brake pads be installed to ensure proper alignment and to minimize drag. Test brakes for proper operation on flat land.
    Brakes

3. need2ski9

need2ski9 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    thanks a lot...looks like im heading back to the shop

4. binary visions

binary visions The voice of reason

Rep/Likes:
    80 / 354
    There is a school of thought that says that 8" rotors are not really very safe on QR forks, though.

Frankly, QRs don't instill me with any kind of confidence, especially for a part that flexes as much as a fork. If you're doing the kind of riding that requires 8" disc brakes, you might want to consider switching to a bolt-on solid axle on the front.

5. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    I remember a Specialized recall of Enduros which were spec'ed with 8 inch rotors (and I believe it was Fox forks on the front).

6. MTB_Rob_NC

MTB_Rob_NC What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Prior to 2004 (I believe) Fox recommended nothing larger then a 7" rotor on their Forks with QR. I know this since I have a 2003 Talas, I am currently running Magura Louise FR's.

Personally I would not run that large of a rotor on a QR fork.

7. binary visions

binary visions The voice of reason

Rep/Likes:
    80 / 354
    Yep, but those were older models. Fox has reworked the dropouts and now allows 8" rotors.

Still, an 8" rotor and a QR is iffy at best. That's a lot of leverage to be putting on a very small piece of metal.

8. thejames

thejames Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    fox says that there is no problem on newer forks, but if you run an 8 inch rotor i would replace the axle with a bolt on axle if your hub will allow. it makes for a much stronger front end and it will increase the stiffness very much. qr axles are usually about 5 or 6 mm in diameter, a solid axle is 10mm. the dropouts are strong, the axle is not.

9. Heath Sherratt

Heath Sherratt Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Ride a lefty, that will solve all your fork problems.

10. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    What is largest rotor you can run on a Lefty?

11. Heath Sherratt

Heath Sherratt Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    203mm. I run 7in rotors though because any time you need more than that you should have more travel.