Quantcast

Discount price for a 07’ Trek 1500?

imageWIS

Chimp
Mar 19, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
I went to my local dealer and he was only willing to give me $25 off the $1149.99 price, plus 10% off accessories, even though this is my 2nd bike purchase with them (in under a year), and the other bike was $909.

What’s a good discount price I should pay for the bike? How much % off have forum members been able to get?

Jon.

Bikebro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
I'm a jaded shop employee so don't take this personally.

Why do you think you deserve more off a brand new bike thats only been available for a few weeks and will be hard to get back in stock? I bet that shop has long time customers that have spent over $20k that don't get discounts on new bikes. One bike in a year doesn't make you a long time customer. Think of all the knowledge and community you can get out of that shop with out having to pay extra for it.

At my shop we might give you 5% off but not likely. Now excuse me I have to go make sure my gardner washes my Porsche before I leave for work.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Um, you shouldn't be getting a discount. No offense but I worked at a shop and if I would have been giving anyone a discount it would be the racer putting down $5k on his new bike. He's spending more money and he'll be advertising for the shop as he'll be racing on it.

The average Joe (no offense, you are to them) is not going to get a big discount, if any. Take the $25, take the 10%, and make sure they give you a quality fit and tune up package.

A quality bike shop will make the price up to you by giving you better advice, a better fit (vital on the road bike), and better service than the discounters down the street. For them to lower their prices means that you are going to get lower quality service and will probably end up enjoying the bike less.

The Ito

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I wouldn't expect a discount. I've bought about 9K from a local shop last year and I think they give me about 10% discount now. I don't ask for it, they just do it. They're the only competent local shop in the waste land of p*ss poor shops in Phoenix, I've been able to find. If you want a discount go to performance bike, you'll get a bike cheap but don't expect any support.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
agreed about not getting a discount off of a new bike. Try looking for clearance/NOS (new, old stock) for the best value.

Did you shop around for the bike or did you shop around for a shop? As been said, a good shop will save you more than a bad shop with a big discount.

PS: Buy a steel bike :)

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I am about to start managing a shop and you might get $25 off, but don't expect it on a brand new model.

What do you think you deserve?

If you bought one $900 bike, the owner has made about $200 off of you. How much of that should he write off to sell you another bike? Discounts are fine, but they are certainly not warranted in all instances.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I'm a former shop employee also on the "no discount" band wagon.

I'd never buy an 07 bike at the end of 06... Now I would buy an 06 bike at the beginning of 07. Several years ago I bought an 02 at the beginning of 03... probably saved me $500.
I'd say go with the '07 and replace the generic brakes with 105. I forget if the cranks on the '07 are 105's or FSA's, but I do know that the '07 is a 30/39/52 and the '06 is a 32/42/52. Or close enough to that. My dad almost got a 1500. Nice bike.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I'm a former shop employee also on the "no discount" band wagon.

I'd say go with the '07 and replace the generic brakes with 105. I forget if the cranks on the '07 are 105's or FSA's, but I do know that the '07 is a 30/39/52 and the '06 is a 32/42/52. Or close enough to that. My dad almost got a 1500. Nice bike.
you are not a unique snowflake, so no discount on the 07' but the 1500 is a good choice,
and by the way the 07' 1500 has CaneCreek brakes and 105 Cranks 52/42/30 We got The Red in most sizes, Haven't ordered any of the 07' Discovery blue as we have some 06' and there is too much blue in the Trek Lineup.....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I shouldn't be telling you this, but shop it around. The $1200 bikes do not change much from year to year, so you could easily find an 06 which could be $100-200 cheaper.

After you find that, ask him does he want to make a couple of hundred on a bike or zero?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I don't see why you don't go 'used' over new. If you know what you're doing and looking for, you can score a slammin' deal on things. You can get to know what you're doing and looking for by educating yourself over the winter and grab one during the spring. I know it not much of an issue for you since you can ride year round where you are, but this tactic has worked out really well for me...

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Not a road bike, but a chick wanted me to sell her a 4300 Trek for $400 out the door. She said she found one on Craigslist in Austin, 60 miles away. She asked about warranty and I explained she would have none on the used bike. She then asked if I was going to blow the $400 sale and let her go to Austin. I told her to have a nice day and to enjoy the drive.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
WTF? A Trek 4300 should sell for $400... it's a piece of crap. Unless it's been updated since I've seen them, but doesn't it have Shimano Altus (below Deore) parts?

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
WTF? A Trek 4300 should sell for $400... it's a piece of crap. Unless it's been updated since I've seen them, but doesn't it have Shimano Altus (below Deore) parts?
Perhaps you should go work for Trek and set their structure for them. Yes it is sub-Deore with discs, but their MSRP is $495 on that bike for 06. The 07s will be $500. I agree it's too much, but I'm not giving them away. I am certainly not price matching Craiglist on used bikes.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
...I am certainly not price matching Craiglist on used bikes.
I completely agree.

Just sayin', Trek must have their head up their butt to think that bike's worth $500. How can they compete with Giant's economies of scale or Specialized's boutique-esk-ness?

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Did you guys considered that '07 Treks had a price increase? I got a 1600 for my son and the price went up ~$200.

Having said that expect no discount or just a small one on the new model, as others mentioned a new older bike will be a better deal.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
from that one quick photo, looks like your son's bike needs some tweaking... like saddle higher, a bit forward, and more Brooks.

:)