Quantcast

Dixie Mine Trail

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Saturday morning's outing was the Dixie Mine Trail. This is a series of trails in the McDowell Mountain area that we recently became aware of due to a connector off of one of the park trails. Several of us had made a preliminary investigation a few weeks prior but had not delved this far into the area. The majority if the trail was fairly primitive, most rideable with the exception of some steep, loose rocky climbs and some insanely steep sustained climbs. I soon learned that any relief in the form of a short downhill burst was met with harsh retribution. It finally got to the point of trying to ride this stuff or living to see my kids someday graduate from high school- I chose the latter. But we finally reached the top of the climb in the ride and the sweet reward of a several mile plunge (watch those slick rocky corners!). We had been watching a storm building north of where we were riding and ended up racing it back to the trailhead. It ended up being quite severe with the temperature dropping from the low 90's to 66 degrees in a very short period of time. Post ride cervezas were served in the cool rain following.

Nice parking area and facilities

Nothing like jumping right in to the climbs

Heading up

More rocks

Trail view

Looking up one of the steep rocky sections

Looking back down from the same point

Nice Seven that was on the ride

The sad truth- 2.17 miles in about 28 minutes

View looking back at the trail just traveled

The actual Dixie Mine

The storm passing through the area we just returned from

Another view

The rain and a cloud rolling down the side of the mountain

Ride profile

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Awesome, it's so cliche but like the sayin goes, "If you ain't hikin you ain't mt biking"

All that being said it's always fun to try new trails and see what they're about.