Quantcast

DIY helmet pole mount for GoPro

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
So, I've been building this mount for nearly 4 weeks, mainly because I am lazy ;) but also, because I didn't want it to be totally ghetto style.

Ingredients:
one segment of 6m glass fiber fishing rod (discounted Shimano fishing rod), 6 fishing weights (500g), 2 plumbing metal ties (the ones you tighten with screw driver), plastic fork stand (the one which comes with aftermarket RS forks), bicycle reflective light bracket/mount

Tools:
drill, small bits and drills, small kitchen knife ;)

Procedure:
I've found discounted (about 12$) Shimano 6m, 6 segments fishing rod at local fishing shop. I chose one segment which was 1m long and 16 and 21mm diameter (on opposite ends). I also bought, 6 lead fishing weights, totally 500g, to counterweight the camera.
I made a wedge/chock with 4mm hole and glued it from the ticker end. I drilled lead weights and bolted them in the wedge. I used big (about 40mm diameter) thermo shrinking pipe to stabilize weights.
I slightly modified bicycle reflective light mount to make it compatible with GoPro's mounting. I managed to make it perfectly aligned with the pole.
The hardest part was to cut the bottom of the plastic RS fork stand, so i would fit my 661 Evo helmet.
I attached pole to the stand in 1/4 of the length, from the thicker end. Remember, stand is for 20mm thru axle and the rod's diameter is 21mm. So, they fit nearly perfectly.
To avoid sliding the whole "system" on the helmet, I put piece innetube between stand and helmet surface.

Impressions:
Whole "system" is not light. But I don't think it can be. GoPro weighs about 250g with the casing. You need about 500g counterweight when you attach it to the 75cm "arm". So, totally it makes 850g.
The inertia is quite big. I hope I can get used to it and be able to make some descent runs with the pole mount on my helmet.

Here are some pics of nearly finished set.

The stand and the innertube.

Bottom of the stand.

Counterweight.

GoPro bracket.

The whole thing.

And here's the first test run around the block.
http://youtu.be/u1CHPVxsQUk?hd=1

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
verrry interesting.. cool perspective, just curious how its gona work in the woods. i'd kill myself with that here! i like the creativity tho.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I am going to first try in on some wide open tracks, coz I need to get used to it ;) You can't help yourself to look side sometimes, which can be disastrous in wood :D

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I am going to the mountains this weekend. For sure, first rides will be lame :D but I don't want to destroy the pole or stick it into my eye :P

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
non-powered. Just think of a marble on a plate... on top of your head. It has a slight forward weight bias, all you have to do is tilt your head.

clockwork

Chimp
Jun 6, 2008
yup seen a few setups like that. One guy had a vid of it twirling around his head as he went down the trail with some billy bob teeth in . Was hilarious

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
So, I managed to go to the mountain (one mountain ;) ) with my GoPro helmet pole.
I did two runs, to test the "thing" and different GoPro setups - 720 and 960p.
As during my first run around the block, the inertia is killer :D
You don't notice it side-to-side, coz you are 100% concentrated on the tip of the pole and the trees your are passing by ;) but up and down movement is a slight problem.
This makes me think, I have to move the pole in the bracket a bit the the back, to move the COG.
Anyway, pls see the result of my two runs :)