Quantcast

DIY Lights

CrAckErKorEan

Ridemonkey's own half breed
Nov 29, 2001
Winder GA (Its in the sticks)
Here is a little something I did on my hiatus from the RM. A couple of years ago I got into night riding and wanted some lights but couldnt afford a really nice setup my self.

I made a proof of concept then a proto type and then did a small production run of my lights thats I designed. I had to have somebody do the machining for me since I didnt have the tools then. I have since setup a little machine shop but cant do large parts.
I am also working on a 1200 lumen setup thats smaller than my 700 lumen setup below.

This type of setup isnt new to any of the DIYers but figured I would share either way.

Proof of concept (700 lumens)

Proto (700lumens)

Batt pack

Production (light output the same as above)

And here is a little something I threw together for a friend. A little 250 lumen light run off of 4AA

thanks for letting me share.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Interesting.. Is that a bnc connector I see?

Have you gotten certifications for the light too to sell it? What types of batteries are you using?

Last edited:

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
The LEDs I have used up to now have been Seoul P7's. I have some P4 for my 1200 lumen light.

When i did make these i was trying to get a preorder together but it never happened. I did sell a couple at 350 and this was a year or two ago.

Its not a BNC its a IP67 rated 4 contact connector.

No certs, was just doing a DIY thing.
The batts I was using on these was a 14.8V 4400mAh batts that would have a run time of about 5 hours, though I never rode that long.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Very well done. I was thinking about trying to build my own high powered lights but it didn't make sense as I couldn't even buy the components for less than some of the commercial lights available.

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
Very well done. I was thinking about trying to build my own high powered lights but it didn't make sense as I couldn't even buy the components for less than some of the commercial lights available.
To get the level of finish that I wanted they ended up running about the same a retail.

Now that I have my own machine tools (mini lathe and mini mill) I can do my own machining but im very limited in size. But with these the cost will be much lower than retail. I will slowly work on my next light when i have time (working on building my own stereo too, and then there is always school).

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
sweet Job.

I'd love to see Step By step pics of the build.

I am PLaying with a 10Watt SSC P7 right now, see how that works.
Thats right P4s are in the triple lights and I have two P7's ready for a dual light. I also have the controllers.

I need to model the housing in solid works and get to machining. Just need to figure out how much surface area I need for 20W worth LED light.

I have a step by step some where of the second light (blue mag) but would require access to a lathe etc. I had the body cut down and rethreaded to fit the rear cap.

CrAckErKorEan

Nov 29, 2001
The controllers that I use in my lights have a built in indicator. The light blinks very quickly to warn you of a low voltage state and then dims accordingly.

I have used batteryspace.com for batts but some of those li-po prices look really nice. I will have to look into them a bit.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Ah! I'll have to remember that place for lipo batteries. I wonder if they would actually ship me them via usps.. I thought they didn't allow that.

Don't lipos typically have voltage monitoring circuitry built in to them to so they don explode? It would be nice if they had spec sheets.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
CK, when you do produce these, please let me know. I am interested, and can get them in front of a high end shop owner whose wife rides in mornings with me, in the pitch black.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Don't lipos typically have voltage monitoring circuitry built in to them to so they don explode? It would be nice if they had spec sheets.
Decent lipo chargers monitor each cell and won't overcharge. They won't explode if you completely discharge them, they will puff up.

The lipos list capacity, weight, voltage and discharge rate. What else do you need?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I am in the middle of playing with the whole home made light thing too, at the moment I am trying to figure out if the thread on the outside of my drop in LED assy is the same as a 52.8mm camera lens adaptor tube.

I am just using a multivolt style drop in head so I can just use my old RC car batteries and charger, bit heavier than Li-po but I have a 5amp charger already so I can charge a battery an hour.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Decent lipo chargers monitor each cell and won't overcharge. They won't explode if you completely discharge them, they will puff up.

The lipos list capacity, weight, voltage and discharge rate. What else do you need?
Impedance, discharge cut-off voltage, charge cut-off voltage, standard discharge current, working temperature, temperature max/min/shock characteristics, short circuit characteristics, storage requirements, etc.

It would be nice to know if it is just a lipo battery, or if it has some internal circuitry from stopping things from going south quickly.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Impedance, discharge cut-off voltage, charge cut-off voltage, standard discharge current, working temperature, temperature max/min/shock characteristics, short circuit characteristics, storage requirements, etc.

It would be nice to know if it is just a lipo battery, or if it has some internal circuitry from stopping things from going south quickly.
Most of this is standard for lipos, look it up. If you want a big spec sheet to jack off to, spend 3X as much for the same stuff.