Quantcast

DJ 1 OR PIKE Team?

civilian

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
Yet another "which one" thread. I know it's a cliche but I still have to ask.

I am 140lbs and just learning to jump. I will be using it primarily for jumping (duh) but also for a little street and getting to school. The fork will be replacing an 04 Z1 FR QR20 which is so great but unfortunately rakes out the head angle a little too much, especially for jumping. It will be mounted on my 05 Sovereign size regular.

I am torn between the two forks. The DJ 1 is burly to say the least and has predictable damping and a little extra weight which always makes me feel more stable in the air, but from all accounts the PIKE has great damping and is SUPER adjustable, including travel, which is nice. It's also going to be a few pounds lighter. I can get both for about the same price (around 500 CAN) as the PIKE is being sold used (the guy selling it has ridden it like two times).

Unfortunately, I have not been able to try either of these forks, as no local shops have any mounted right now and none of my friends run either fork.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Unless you are some super hack, the pike should take the abuse. Pike's are freekin' awesome. I dunno about the race coz it only has an aluminium steerer tube, then again, so do some downhill forks. So it should be fine!

civilian

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
skajumper said:
Unless you are some super hack, the pike should take the abuse. Pike's are freekin' awesome. I dunno about the race coz it only has an aluminium steerer tube, then again, so do some downhill forks. So it should be fine!
Actually, I'd be looking at the Team which is one step up from the Race model. It has an alu steer tube and a hollow crown. The Race is the one with a chromo steer tube and solid crown. But I am only 140 lbs....and my twin bro has been jumping a Talas RLC with no problems so far.

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
civilian said:
Actually, I'd be looking at the Team which is one step up from the Race model. It has an alu steer tube and a hollow crown. The Race is the one with a chromo steer tube and solid crown. But I am only 140 lbs....and my twin bro has been jumping a Talas RLC with no problems so far.
Oh... well, i guess if rock shox make it, and sell it with the purpose of a freeride type application, then it must be strong, especially if its the top of the line model.
So go for it and have fun on your new fork.

civilian

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
Yeah, weight is not a huge deal for me. Like I said, I actually think it gives some mid-air stability. On the other hand the PIKE is a crazy deal and has way more trailside tuning ability.......but realistically I would just set it where I want it and leave it alone for the most part (100mm of travel and pretty stiff). Almost exactly like a stock DJ 1. I also had a chance to feel the rebound adjustment range on the DJ and it was surpisingly broad. Far better than a DJ 3.

Hmmmm.

Keep the opinions coming. Anyone who owns either fork please feel free to chime in.

Iv ridden the pikes, not very extensively though. I have a buddy who runs one on his Morphine, and even with the heaviest springs available, he still bottoms regularly, and is only 160lbs. probably be ok for dirt jumps, but he rides alot of urban, and isn't remarkably thrilled with it. another guy though, runs one on his STP, and loves it. doesnt ride as aggressively though. I would say try one before you pick it up. It's a great fork, just make sure it fits what you need. I can get one pretty cheap also, but im opting for the D-Street instead.

offdawalley

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
hella over the rainbow
I like the pike and the dj1, I don't own either, isn't the 05 dj1 only 5 lbs, if its 7lbs again, then go with the pike, but if it's 5 lbs, I would take that over the pike, they both feel nice, the pike has more adjustments and stuff like lockout I but I personally would never use any of these things, i think that it's probably a question of what you like more, adjustments or consistancy and strength, the pike seems strong too, but I just trust the dj1 more, just my .02

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I have a pike on the front of my DOC, and trust me i have HATED rock shox for a long while now. I just could not ignore the pike for this application. It has the 20mm :thumb:, adjustable travel, good quality of travel, and it is fairly light. The new Maxel system is amazing too, take the front wheel off in seconds...Marzocchi has fallen behind the times IMO, go with the rock shox product, you will enjoy!

my 2 cents

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Can't you get a cartridge for your 04 Z1 that knocks the travel down to 100mm.?
I would do that if the option is available. Zokes website gives you a breakdown on travel increase/decrease kits.