Quantcast

DJ III tuning

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
I have a new '03 'Zoke DJ III, and I need some tuning advice. It's the OEM version that is a QR20 and has only 100mm of travel.

When I first mounted the shock and tried to cycle it, I got about 10mm of travel. The air pressure in both chambers was 0 psi, so I dropped the oil level down, and now I'm getting about 50mm of travel. I don't want to drop the oil too much more, I'm afraid that I'll lose performance.

Does anyone have experience tuning this (admittedly low-end) fork? Should I chuck the stock red springs, and run air only? Change the oil weight? Is there a recommended oil height for someone of my size? Please help!

I weigh 148 lbs, have the fork mounted to a RM Element, and plan on using it for aggressive XC (everything from fast, smooth singletrack to slower rooty, rocky terrian, but no drops over 2').

Thanks for your help!!

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
I know that I didn't control for all variables in the following experiment, but here is what I did:

Oil level is at 90mm, as measured down from the top of the cap threads, with the fork fully compressed. Stock oil weight (7.5) and stock red springs in both legs with air caps on both legs.

- I removed both springs, and put 40 psi in both legs = no sag, 40mm of travel.

- Dropped air pressure to 0 psi in both legs = 20mm sag (good!), bottom out super easy, bad rebound.

- Put air pressure at about 15 psi in both legs = 10mm sag (not quite enough for me), full travel, good rebound.

- Put one spring with 0 psi in both legs = 20mm sag (good!), bottom out super easy, bad rebound.

- Put one spring with 0 psi in one leg, 15 psi in other leg = 10mm sag (not quite enough for me), nice, smooth travel, good rebound.

So, I can find a nice setting where I get good, smooth compression and strong rebound, but not enough sag. I'd like to run the sag around 20mm.

Does this mean I have too much oil?

Thanks for your help!

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
that is interesting.
i have a stock dj3 from marz. not oem. and 130mm
i run it at about 5psi in both legs, has good sag and i never bottom, i am actually planning on running about 2.5psi normally
if i put 15psi in the legs it becomes almost rigid.
i haven't messed with the oil yet cause i like how it feels stock..
i weigh about the same as you.
i plan to top out the oil some time and run 0 psi though and see how that is

after re-reading your post i am wondering if your catridges are messed up or something and not allowing oil to pass thru them.
just my observation of what you posted about not bottoming when oil is present really

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
I realized I'll probably get a tad more sag out of it when I put on the 26" rear wheel (as it forces more of the weight over the front wheel), which is how I'll be riding it most of the time.

This weekend, I'm going to do a long ride (28 miles) with variable terrian: nasty lava rocks to butter-smooth pine-needle singletrack. If I'm still not happy, I may check the mechanicals to make sure they are properly functioning.

Thanks for your comments!

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
you need to run the springs and use the air, the air is for air assist/preload
pump enuff air into it that it sags nice and doenst bottom out
about 5-8psi?
keep both springs in!

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by MisterMental
you need to run the springs and use the air, the air is for air assist/preload
pump enuff air into it that it sags nice and doenst bottom out
about 5-8psi?
keep both springs in!
Should I keep both springs in for improved feel, or will it cause problems with the fork? I've run other forks with only one spring, and they seem to do fine.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
The whole point of a DJIII is that it's a DIRT JUMPING fork. It's specifically designed to be really stiff and ramp up really hard, because that's what you want a DJ/street fork to do. The compression valving in it is just gonna do that, no matter what.

Trying to set it up to run XC trails is going to be very difficult.

I don't know what the "stock" oil height was, but you should definitely leave it at that. Most Marz. singlecrowns work best with the oil at 50mm from the top of the stanchions - that's with the springs OUT and the stanchions fully compressed.

DEFINITELY don't run the fork with one or zero springs; use both of 'em. Use zero air pressure. Most people (when the fork is properly set up) can get it to basically lock out with 15psi, it doesn't take much.

You can probably make it ramp up less hard by using lighter-weight oil (try 5wt), but that'll speed up your rebound.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by gorgechris
Should I keep both springs in for improved feel, or will it cause problems with the fork? I've run other forks with only one spring, and they seem to do fine.
If you take out the springs, and go running 40PSI of air, you WILL blow the seals, and it'll happen FAST.

Use the springs.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Thanks for all the help, guys. I'll go drop that other spring back in, and try to find out what the stock oil height should be (another knowledgeable source said Marzocchi's QC for oil height is pretty lax). I'll check a different oil weight after I do the first oil change.

I know it's a square peg in a round hole, but I gotta' go with what I got. This is for my "backup" bike, anyway, so it won't see too much trail time. I got the fork OEM on my Norco, but I tore it off and threw on a Z.1 FR QR20 for my main ride.

Muchas gracias, hermanitos.

Ventanarama

Chimp
Aug 2, 2002
Fort Collins, CO
Originally posted by sub6
If you take out the springs, and go running 40PSI of air, you WILL blow the seals, and it'll happen FAST.

Use the springs.
Not true. His fork uses the same seals as the Marz air forks (like the Z1 SL) and I don't see those blowing seals frequently from running 40psi. Absolutely nothing wrong with running that fork with 1 spring, and fine tuning with air pressure (he won't need to use 40psi though) . In fact, that's exactly what Marzocchi recommends for light riders who can't get adequate travel from the stock springs.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

Ventanarama

Chimp
Aug 2, 2002
Fort Collins, CO
Originally posted by gorgechris
Thanks for all the help, guys. I'll go drop that other spring back in, and try to find out what the stock oil height should be (another knowledgeable source said Marzocchi's QC for oil height is pretty lax). I'll check a different oil weight after I do the first oil change.

I know it's a square peg in a round hole, but I gotta' go with what I got. This is for my "backup" bike, anyway, so it won't see too much trail time. I got the fork OEM on my Norco, but I tore it off and threw on a Z.1 FR QR20 for my main ride.

Muchas gracias, hermanitos.
Chris. Try it with the one spring in, but oil level at 50mm, then start at 0psi and go up in small increments until sag is good. If the fork is bottoming out too easily even when sag is good, then that usually indicates the oil level is low.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com