Quantcast

DJ Park Update 6/2/04

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Update 6/2/04 - Information provided by Ben Cashman

A meeting was held on June 1, 2004 to discuss the status of the park and things are rolling along quickly at this point. Mike from RAM Construction hopes to be done with the heavy earth moving and general placement of the jump mounds by the end of this week. A select group of experienced jump builders will be tweaking the two larger lines of the park this coming weekend.

A major work party is tentatively planned for the weekend of June 12th and 13th. Volunteers will be needed to lay sod, gravel for paths, etc. Details will be posted as soon as the work party dates are finalized, keep watching for details and feel free to email Matt if you would like to volunteer.

Currently the main goal is to get the two big lines tweaked and ready to ride by the end of next week so they can are dialed in with plenty of time for the Kona Belly Big Air Contest being held at the park on June 27th.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
There has recently been several cases of vandalism at the Dirt Jump Park construction site. Skaters allegedly removed all of the survey marker stakes at the site over Memorial Day weekend so those points had to be resurveyed at the expense of 14 man hours down the tubes.
It is important to note that RAM Construction is donating their time to the development of this park and are willing to volunteer work for the future Skate Park expansion provided the vandalism stops. Please respect the construction site and refrain from tampering with any equipment, markings, etc on the site.

http://www.wwucycling.com/djpark for more details

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Um, can I maybe be a volunteer to help with the park? :p :D Let me know what time of the day the work parties will be starting, I want to be there on time so I can be there the whole time for every work party.

Stupid skater vandals! :angry:

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Originally posted by brock
So you are sure it was skaters who pulled the markers?

No one ever reads the word "allegedly".
All I am doing is relaying what has been told to me from about 3 different sources. My understanding was that it is pretty clear that the skateboarders did it.

Have you been to the site? If you knew the location in relation to the skatepark you might see why it could be very likely that the skaters did it.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Originally posted by dwaugh
Um, can I maybe be a volunteer to help with the park? :p :D Let me know what time of the day the work parties will be starting, I want to be there on time so I can be there the whole time for every work party.

Check your YIM messages, I have a lot of hw to do today but I will try and explain what Ben relayed to me and my understanding about the whole situation.

DrewS

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by brock
So you are sure it was skaters who pulled the markers?

No one ever reads the word "allegedly".
I think it's kind of ridiculous to immediately blame skaters for the destruction. Plenty of shady people live in Bellingham. The person who did the damage, most likely one of those shady characters, was probably just passing by when he/she saw an opportunity to mess around on some heavy equipment and pull the markers.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Originally posted by DrewS
I think it's kind of ridiculous to immediately blame skaters for the destruction. Plenty of shady people live in Bellingham. The person who did the damage, most likely one of those shady characters, was probably just passing by when he/she saw an opportunity to mess around on some heavy equipment and pull the markers.
I just want to make clear that what is posted isn't my opinion, its what was relayed to me which I am relaying on to everyone else, like I have been doing with the whole process.

On that note, it is my understanding that they were pretty clear that at least part of the vandalism was done by skaters, which part I do not know but I don't think a large organization, a local business and the city parks department would just jump on a claim like that without having some evidence to back it up.

Either way, the point remains the same, vandalism isn't going to help the future construction at the DJ Park or the Skatepark so if anyone knows who is doing it or sees anyone doing anything stop it NOW!

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
First off, I understand that you are only relaying information as it was passed on to you.

Had I been in your position, I would have omitted the skaters portion of the statement for a couple of reasons.

1. As I said before "allegedly" means the writer is not positive and the word is often overlooked. This is illustrated quite well by the post right after yours, where the poster finishes his post with "Stupid skater vandals! "

2. Even if it was a skater, the fact that the person is a skateboarder really has no relevance. It would be like saying "Blacks allegedly removed all of the survey marker stakes". There are already enough problems with bikes vs. skaters, fueling the fire seems to be counterproductive at best. Especially when the parks are being built right next to each other.

That's my 2 cents. I'm not trying to be argumentative (today), I'm just making an observation. Take it however you please.

It seems that a lot of the more 'experienced' skaters on this board have taken offense to the implications of vandalism. When actually i think the vadals did what they did probably because they were punk kids, not because they were skateborders.

Most punk kids will vadalize. Most skateborders won't.

SR

Monkey
Dec 8, 2001
Olympia WA
see what I mean?.....thugs;)

sort of unrealated here but I'm going to post it anyway...

I went to the new U.P. park last week and there was a serious negative vibe between the bikers and skaters. I realize being a new park and having such large crowds adds to that sentiment, but it definitely hindered the experience I had there. It is a sick park no doubt, but the whole stereotyping bit gets old quick. "Man, skaters take some stupid lines, snakin everyone all over the place" "Dude bikers all just drop in without looking around. Yo, you're not the only one here" Just a couple comments said semi under people's breath. It was nothing major and there weren't any real verbal confilcts or crack up derby action or anything, it's just the vibe in general is pretty lame in that regard.

don't mind me...just a random rant:dead:

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Originally posted by PsychO!1

Most punk kids will vadalize. Most skateborders won't.
Wel, thats what I meant. But around here it seems to me that most skateboarders are punk kids. When you see what the site is like and its placement, you'll understand why it is almost for sure skaters who did the vandalism.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
Originally posted by SR
see what I mean?.....thugs;)

sort of unrealated here but I'm going to post it anyway...

I went to the new U.P. park last week and there was a serious negative vibe between the bikers and skaters. I realize being a new park and having such large crowds adds to that sentiment, but it definitely hindered the experience I had there. It is a sick park no doubt, but the whole stereotyping bit gets old quick. "Man, skaters take some stupid lines, snakin everyone all over the place" "Dude bikers all just drop in without looking around. Yo, you're not the only one here" Just a couple comments said semi under people's breath. It was nothing major and there weren't any real verbal confilcts or crack up derby action or anything, it's just the vibe in general is pretty lame in that regard.

don't mind me...just a random rant:dead:
I agree that the U.P. park sucks a$$ in this regard. That park simply cannot handle the number of users it is drawing, regardless of what they are riding. The transfer lines are fun and all but the expansive nature of the design promotes multiple user runs which I see as a recipe for disaster. If the "Intermediate" area had been split into 3 or 4 separate bowls it would have been able to support more simultanious sessions safely and served all the users better.

Design deficiencies aside, the kinks are what really ruins the place.....That and all the lurkers who are just taking up space trying to look cool.

Luckily for me, the only part of the park I like is the 10' bowl, which no one skates.

Originally posted by dwaugh
Wel, thats what I meant. But around here it seems to me that most skateboarders are punk kids. When you see what the site is like and its placement, you'll understand why it is almost for sure skaters who did the vandalism.
I think you missed my point...

I have no doubt the punk kids who vadalized, also ride skateboards. But I'm sure that the MAJORITY of skaters would never even think vandalizing, and the MAJORITY of punk kids who would.

It's got nothing to do with the skateboard. So please quit refering to the vadals as skaters, they are punk ass kids.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Originally posted by PsychO!1
I think you missed my point...

It's got nothing to do with the skateboard. So please quit refering to the vadals as skaters, they are punk ass kids.
Thats really what I meant, just that the topic here seems to be skaters, I was thinking skaters at the time and it just got written down.
The skaters around here also dont like bikers, even though the skatepark usually isnt very full at all.
Oh well, lets drop this one now. I think that we just need to get a big NO TRESSPASING sign.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
crap people if you've got a problem with the wording of the posts deal with it! reality is yes i see where you are coming from however I think you are kinda barking up the wrong tree as I said before. And brock, dude I post what is told to me, if I edit crap all the time I know someone is going to say well thats not what we told you or whatever, either way, whatever, if its really that big of a deal I will edit the first post, geesh I just wanted to relay on info.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
Originally posted by mplutodh1
crap people if you've got a problem with the wording of the posts deal with it! reality is yes i see where you are coming from however I think you are kinda barking up the wrong tree as I said before. And brock, dude I post what is told to me, if I edit crap all the time I know someone is going to say well thats not what we told you or whatever, either way, whatever, if its really that big of a deal I will edit the first post, geesh I just wanted to relay on info.
You obviously have strong feelings about relaying the info verbatim so leave the post as it is. I don't think I'm barking up the wrong tree at all though. I would have questioned the statement the same way regardless of who passed on the info, source or reporter. Had I received the email you did, I would have fired one right back at Ben.

Don't get so bent out of shape because people have a problem with the wording. It's the Pac NW forum, we are expected to argue. So in your own words.........deal with it.