Quantcast

DJ/Urban FR Bike

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
How many of you girls own a DJ or Urban FR bike? What do you got? I want one. I think it'll help my riding and take up some time in the off season months.

Lady Gravity

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Mtnbike Mecca
i have a .243 steel ht, it's about 6 years old. i use it for dj and xc rides - it's the old style, with a 15" seattube. if i was in the market for another ht i'd go for a devinci hucker since i've always liked those frames and they don't seem to change much. however...my .243 doesn't seem to want to die.

i'd also suggest a 13" st frame since it gives you more clearance, specially for dj'ing. i'm hoping to get back into street over the winter as well, it's pretty fun heading into downtown vancouver at night to ride, a whole different feel (likely the same in the downtown area of any city).

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
I've got a 15" Ironhorse Yakuza Bakuto FR Hardtail that's fun to play on for urban. I just took it dirtjumping and it did fine for my minimal amount of skills in that area.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I've got a Transition "Trailer Park" frame that I want to build up this off season and because it's so heavy I want to know where I can lighten up. Any ideas on what parts are essential, what parts I can leave out? Like brakes, do I need both and do I need disc?

What is an ideal weight for a DJ bike? I want mine to be for pump tracks, urban and skate barn. I want to really be able to fling it around and yet take the jumps. I won't be doing XC on it.

Lady Gravity

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Mtnbike Mecca
I've got a Transition "Trailer Park" frame that I want to build up this off season and because it's so heavy I want to know where I can lighten up. Any ideas on what parts are essential, what parts I can leave out? Like brakes, do I need both and do I need disc?

What is an ideal weight for a DJ bike? I want mine to be for pump tracks, urban and skate barn. I want to really be able to fling it around and yet take the jumps. I won't be doing XC on it.
there's a few places you can lighten up and still have something burly enough that it won't fall apart. my ht frame is heavy as well, but i rebuilt it in the spring and shed about 8-10lbs. i went to lighter rims - think syncros, mavic 721's. brakes - discs are nice but you can probably do 6" instead of 8". i'm really not a fan of v's, but if you did that then yeah you'd lose a fair bit of weight i think. fork - i went from a 66 to a z1. and then of course lighter stem, bars, pedals, etc. pretty much depends on how much money you have to play with. i think mine is around 30-35lbs (don't have a scale though)

Lady Gravity

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Mtnbike Mecca
Thanks for the ideas! I was also considering going with one brake vesus two. Yours is still a bit heavier than I was hoping. How many chain rings are you using?
oh for sure, all you really need is a rear brake. i'm running 2 rings as i do use mine for trail riding. i'd love to have a dedicated dj bike, but i'd prefer a 13" st over a 15" (which mine is). some of the guys at the dj park run ss, but i like to switch gears. i have a cruiser bmx that's ss but it's pretty much only for racing.

if my fs bike dies (my rear shock is almost done) i'm thinking to switch up my .243 for trails and pick up another frame for dj's. likely cheaper than getting another fs frame.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
Thanks for the ideas! I was also considering going with one brake vesus two. Yours is still a bit heavier than I was hoping. How many chain rings are you using?
With an aluminum frame you can easily stay in the 25lb range which is about what Mohshee''s P3 weighed (and my Woodman weighs about that) with the way we had it built.

Some of the parts I run aren't the first thing that comes to mind when most people think Urban/DJ bike but so far I haven't had any issues.
For example, I run a Stylo Singlespeed crankset and a Fox Talas fork (XC parts).
And of course there's always the option of a rigid fork to lighten it even more. Awesome for the Skatepark but can be a bit harsh for Urbans and such (although it does make you learn how to land wheelie drops/pedal kicks with a really soft touch).

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
With an aluminum frame you can easily stay in the 25lb range which is about what Mohshee''s P3 weighed (and my Woodman weighs about that) with the way we had it built.

Some of the parts I run aren't the first thing that comes to mind when most people think Urban/DJ bike but so far I haven't had any issues.
For example, I run a Stylo Singlespeed crankset and a Fox Talas fork (XC parts).
And of course there's always the option of a rigid fork to lighten it even more. Awesome for the Skatepark but can be a bit harsh for Urbans and such (although it does make you learn how to land wheelie drops/pedal kicks with a really soft touch).
Unfortunately it's a 6.4lb frame so that's what I'm starting with. :huh: I have my Coiler for all mountain/FR and my K2, a little light XC bike so I think I should stick with trying to make my DJ bike very lightweight and not worry about needing it for trail riding. A singlespeed is an idea. However, a non-rigid fork is non-negotiable; otherwise, I'd just ride something BMX and having ridden one in the skatepark, it's just too harsh for me and my sloppy skills!

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I have a size small Specialized P3 I am trying to get rid of. Pretty new (rode it only a couple of times). It's a little too small for me (5'9"), but mostly, my Transition BottleRocket has replaced it's need ;)

RideRMB

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
'Da Hood

You dont really need a front brake. And if you go single speed, that reduces weight aswell.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
Ya, I think that may be the way to go. The TP is already setup to easily convert to SS and I'm not looking to make it a multi-purpose bike other than DJ and skatebarn and maybe trials-type stuff...