Quantcast

DJ with a triple clamp fork?

mudanoman

Chimp
Mar 18, 2002
Bay Area
Hey,

I was planning to get a dj/ds bike....probably build up a 16.5 inch Azonic DS1....I was wondering if I should get a triple clamp such as a Jr. T or should I just stick with a single crown such as the Marzocchi DJ2. Please leave your comments or suggestions on a dj/ds bike combo. I was thinking of a triple just because I have been riding FS bikes for a while and wouldn't mind the extra inch of travel and raised geometry.

Peace,

Ivan

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
For me atleast 3-4 inches is best for dirt jumping...it takes the edge off when you screwup and promotes better jumping skills cuz you don't have 6 inches to suck up your mistakes. But what do I know....doubles scare the sh1t out of me.

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
first of all, u really dont want over 4 inches for DJing, because in makes it so difficult to pump, etc. i find DJing on my BMX(rigid of course) is alot more fun than on my HT with a 4inch fork, so id say go with a DJ1 or DJ2, i mean there called Dirt JUmper 1 and 2 for a reason right?

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
Originally posted by downhil

so they can charge more.
unfortunatly, i think that is true:(
however i think that they were designed more towards DJing than say a Jr. T would be why then and not the Jr. T are the Dirt Jumper series.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
I DJ on a 6" super T and LOVE it... (i am on a 14" azonic DS1 for now)... If you're GETTING a DS1 don't expect much frame quality... There is MUCH better out there nowadays for the mula

M

M.W.

I wanna find an old '97 Z-2 (didn't they have steel steerers?) w/ 2.5" of travel. That'd be rad for jumping/street.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
why not go rigid?
i think for dj less is more(travel that is) 5" is pushing the upper limit of speed carrying pumpability. go with a 5" fork if you will be trail riding some too.

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
i would go with something small like an older marzocchi, the dj 1s feel really good on the dirt but they ride really poorly on trails, but i guess it was designed will for its purpose, go with a dj1 over a jr t if you are only goin to ride dirt

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
the extra stiffness would be nice for sure
though i have to admit it wouldn't be hard to have too much travel for alot of tricks/bike handling

A

a13x

you *can* dirtjump alrighty with a triple clamp fork, it's just a bit more of a effort to pump tight rythems due to the slacker head angle. also you cannot XUP :(

this pic is from the Fenway Trails last Fall and it's in the tight 6 pack. it was doable but a friggin chore with that fork.

go w/the 4" sc, its the bizomb!

Attachments

RideSiK

Chimp
Apr 23, 2002
australia
Originally posted by M.W.
I wanna find an old '97 Z-2 (didn't they have steel steerers?) w/ 2.5" of travel. That'd be rad for jumping/street.
meh i got one haha... dont run it but sits in a box under my bed getting dusty... i run a 10mm z5 and it flexes like a bitch i want a 130mm dj1 that would be sweet or an old 5.5inch mrT (if anyone can remember them) i got an industrail hillbilly and they are warrentied with any fork so if i cant find a second hand monster then thats what im running if i got enough cash for it

sure some ppl will pay me out for wanting so much travel (i want a 6 inch one not 7) but its strongest and flexes least so that will help... who ever said you need a SC beacsue there lighter what about those 40-50-60 lb dj bmxs my old mr lucky weighed like 45 lb and that was the most stable thing ive ever ridden in the air... sure they might be easier to whip and flattie a lighter bike... ust get a set of 24s it makes about as much difference to bike handing

fennell

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
boone nc
yea i would most definately at most run a 4" single crown fork, cause you cant do xups on a triple, you can snap off your headtube easier, and its heavier but eh do what you feel comfortable with

mudanoman

Chimp
Mar 18, 2002
Bay Area
I decided to go with an old 4inch Z3 my friend had sitting around in his garage. I am glad I stuck with it because my Azonic rides like a gem. Here is a recent pic of me jumping at the 'Pit' in Foster City, CA.

mudanoman

Chimp
Mar 18, 2002
Bay Area
The Pit is really fun except the bay breeze might set you off course here and there depending on the weather. Otherwise, there were a half dozen MTBers last time I went. Seems to be a pretty popular jump place for MTBers now. Have fun. -MM

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
I've found that going early (8am) and leaving around 1 is the best... the wind seems to start up 1:30-2pm...

Weird, the place used to be all BMX with fairly vert lips, now everything is kinda smoothed out so it works for MTBs. Kinda sad... Personally, I liked Tractor a whole lot more with the tougher lip...

Going on sunday. Anyone gonna be there from RM?

Originally posted by mudanoman
The Pit is really fun except the bay breeze might set you off course here and there depending on the weather. Otherwise, there were a half dozen MTBers last time I went. Seems to be a pretty popular jump place for MTBers now. Have fun. -MM

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
you should come on sunday. if we go there.

might go to waterdog... i'll keep you posted as things develop. of course i'd like to go to shells cause i only have my ht working right now.