Quantcast

DNM Burner, the cheap shock odyssey

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I wanted to swap my DH bike to a coil sock, but unfortunately it uses the longest length of imperial shock, and you can only buy the top end fox coil in that size these days new. I couldn’t find any used ones that weren’t trashed. Bring a used van rc or bomber cr and having avalanche change it to this size was an option, but was going to be expensive at the end of the day. So I decided to take a chance on one of these for $100 after I noticed that avalanche does his work on them, so there must be decent bones in there. Here’s part 1 of trying to make it into a decent shock on my own.

Also if you’re anti YouTube, I’ve uploaded it to rumble.https://rumble.com/v26lwv8-dnm-burner-rcp-2s-teardown.html

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
265 x 85. So it’s like 2mm shorter than it would be if imperial. Which is ok on my frame, it’s got a 20mm flip chip.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
265 x 85. So it’s like 2mm shorter than it would be if imperial. Which is ok on my frame, it’s got a 20mm flip chip.
Isn't this the size that the Sur Ron Lightbee uses? There should be options out there.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Isn't this the size that the Sur Ron Lightbee uses? There should be options out there.
yes, yes it is. I touch on that in the video. But almost all of the suron options are these cheap ass China shocks, except for the fox factory dhx for like $800. Kke and fastace are basically the same as this shock from the perspective of revalving it for a lighter bike and rider.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I thought you bought one of the old DNM's from 2002. I found a radiator for something non bike related online that fit the body and it helped it a lot. People thought I was strange but it worked.

Weirdly some DNMs were decent but needed work. I remember there were guides to rework the internals of their forks. Don't remember the details as I was a high school kid back then and relied on more mechanically apt friends but some of them had accidentally good design

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
yes, yes it is. I touch on that in the video. But almost all of the suron options are these cheap ass China shocks, except for the fox factory dhx for like $800. Kke and fastace are basically the same as this shock from the perspective of revalving it for a lighter bike and rider.
Sorry, didn't watch the video (yet).
Rock Shox Vivid and Kage can be had new in Yurp, CCDBs are floating around used. Less often you can find a Manitou. The YT Tues has this shock length, so they are quite popular over here.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Find someone who can rebuild shocks. As @iRider has said. You cna find cheap Kages as they come stock on bikes and people swap them out fast. Hell 1 year ago you had a ton of cheap Ohlins TTx shocks that needed rebuilds but they are very fixable. So for 180$ you got a shock that needed a 150$ rebuild and got a mint condition shock for 50% of the price.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Find someone who can rebuild shocks. As @iRider has said. You cna find cheap Kages as they come stock on bikes and people swap them out fast. Hell 1 year ago you had a ton of cheap Ohlins TTx shocks that needed rebuilds but they are very fixable. So for 180$ you got a shock that needed a 150$ rebuild and got a mint condition shock for 50% of the price.
I think Leafy can rebuild his shocks himself. ;)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I think Leafy can rebuild his shocks himself. ;)
Yeah I probably mentioned it for people who are not into rebuilding shocks or don't have the space but I'm also changing brain meds so I am a bit more loopy than usual. Not sure how hard to get are ohlins parts.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Yeah surprisingly I wasn’t finding many options when in looked. Nothing in that size on eBay, and people on pink bike were very proud of their 4 year old, never serviced, shock.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
They have a decent chasis...I did a couple redos on them for the surron crowd...
Haven't paid attention as alot of that crowd has a new vendor who has a decent shock for a good price they seem to be going too..
so was mine assembled wrong? The only rebound circuit was through the needle. Restackor refused to even calculate it as the shock was assembled, lol.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Are you suggesting that a 65mm travel spring is too short for a 65mm travel shock? Do we need to add spring naming schemes to what’s wrong with the industry?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
3.5"=89mm

Am I missing something?

Ps. The 29'er version says it has a shorter shock. Is that correct?

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
lol you’re right, I’m retarded. It’s an 85mm stroke shock, not a 65mm. Guess I need to find another spring.

Grabbed a 3.5” stroke fox spring for $31.25 shipped on northwest bike.

Last edited:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
lol you’re right, I’m retarded. It’s an 85mm stroke shock, not a 65mm. Guess I need to find another spring.

Grabbed a 3.5” stroke fox spring for $31.25 shipped on northwest bike.
FOX labels their springs differently than everyone else, so for a 3" shock you get 3.25" labeled spring from FOX and so on. For a 3.5" stroke shock you should look for 3.7" stroke spring from FOX, and 3.5" stroke spring from basically everyone else. :monkeydance:
1674640386687.jpeg

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
To make it worse, some retailers list the 3.7 inch spring as 3.5. Fox lists the part number I bought as for 3.5” shocks, so we’re good.

WojtekHHH

Chimp
Jan 4, 2023
Really interesting, I'm waiting for an another video. Is it necessary to use red loctite on the piston screw? It's pain in the ass to take it apart, I always use some blue one. Tell me what you think :P

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Yeah I got one. It should be here soon. We got a bunch of snow this week so it’ll be a while till I can really test it anyways, I doubt the wife would sign off on urban freeride. My shim order came in though so Sunday I’ll probably film part 2.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I rarely post anything compared to bitd Woo but I still read the forums. Remains the best place on the internet to nerd out on spring rates, leverage curves and other things I don't properly understand but feel much cleverer to have read. Leafy did a good job explaining shim stacks, at least I think he did.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
@Leafy has your Rux exploded yet? I thought of sending your video to Darren Salsbury (co-owner of USUL Corp who carry SR Suntour in NA, he's sprockets on pinkbike) as I have been communicating with him for years regarding my awesome unrideable forks to see what he thought of your video and if they have updated their internals. He's a really nice guy and very helpful. No such support from distributors in my part of the world.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
No Rux hasn’t exploded yet. But it’s been winter here so is basically gone off my backyard drop like 5 times and that’s the extent of its use.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Holy crap. 9 moth thread revive. I finally made good on my instructional video for re-valving a shock with Re-Stackor.

Both the DNM and the Rux survived the season, my knee didnt, but thats another story. The Rux could still go for more open LSR, and I'd probably do it by boring out the shaft so I could put a more normal HSR shim stack in. The DNM really isnt that bad, I'm probably going to leave it as is and just buy a new bike early in the year because I'm tired of how tiny the gambler feels.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Interesting project. Neat to see that it's not total junk inside. Not sure I'd be up for buying one and modifying it vs. buying something older and living with it, but I can see why you had to.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I honestly just bought it as a curiosity and to screw around with shock tuning. I never expected it to arrive basically broken but also didn’t expect it to be this good once I ground the piston and tuned it. If I had a bike that used metric shocks you’re damn sure I’d have bought a bomber cr instead.