Quantcast

do average people appreciate great music?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
bump (for an excellent article that i posted in my thread yesterday)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
yes.

and can you turn your violin amp a bit, i'm having trouble hearing it.
Went to see The Black-eyed Susans at the Harbourside in Fremantle with Partsy one night back a bit. Guy had his violin plugged into a big Marshall stack. Wallace H Christ he made that thing whinge that night, especially when he was belting it against head. Good night.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I would have walked right by him. I don't know anything about classical music. It's a little like wine for me. I can tell you if it's really bad, but after that, I'm lost.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Imagine that! During "rush" hour, people dont have time to stop and listen to a street musician.
Groundbreaking isnt it?

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
I remain unconvinced that a great deal of music in the classical canon deserves to be called great. A lot of it is stilted and repetitious and it's certainly overanalyzed.
All music is repetitious. It's part of music. Every song has a main theme or melody that is repeated at least once throught the song... try and name one that doesn't.

Don't put down things you don't understand. Most of the "normal" music such as rock is shallow, and poorly written in comparison to many classical works.

That said... I listen to most types of rock before any classical. I just get too many weird looks while blairing Shostakovich, or Beethoven's 5th, or something of that sort while going down the road. haha...:nopity:

That was a good article. It was really interesting... well worth the read.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
The results were not surprising to me. I would like to see the experiment in cities all over the world.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
All music is repetitious. It's part of music. Every song has a main theme or melody that is repeated at least once throught the song... try and name one that doesn't.
i could introduce you a massive chunk of improvisational and noise where that premise doesn't hold at all.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I remain unconvinced that a great deal of music in the classical canon deserves to be called great. A lot of it is stilted and repetitious and it's certainly overanalyzed.
Reality is that it is just really old pop music made for rich white people. Of course over a few centuries some of the best examples will float to the top and the poorer examples fade away.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
The results were not surprising to me. I would like to see the experiment in cities all over the world.
:stupid:

It's amazing to me the number of people I meet that think I only listen to "classical" music because I am a music teacher. I still love the look on my student's faces when they hear me playing something else or identify what they're humming when they come into my room.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
GREAT article. My girl is very much into classical music and has seen Bell perform several times. I'd like to see the experiment done in Europe and Canada. I'd guess that NYC would garner similar results as DC. It's a tough experiment in that people really are just in that much of a hurry in the morning and I'd bet quite

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
jazz musicians need to learn that being technically unsound is not high art in and of itself

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jazz musicians need to learn that being technically unsound is not high art in and of itself
tell that to coltrane, taylor, saunders, coleman, et al.

and to the charles gayles of the world, emotional impact has at least as much validity as technical grasp.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
for those of you who read the article linked in the original post, the piece joshua bell started with was the bach chaconne, aka "partita #2 in d min bwv 1004", track 5 in this set of excellent recordings by thomas zehetmair:

http://download.yousendit.com/1BBBE4EA16E159F9

and from the article:

thewashingtonpost said:
Bell decided to begin with "Chaconne" from Johann Sebastian Bach's Partita No. 2 in D Minor. Bell calls it "not just one of the greatest pieces of music ever written, but one of the greatest achievements of any man in history. It's a spiritually powerful piece, emotionally powerful, structurally perfect. Plus, it was written for a solo violin, so I won't be cheating with some half-assed version."

Bell didn't say it, but Bach's "Chaconne" is also considered one of the most difficult violin pieces to master. Many try; few succeed. It's exhaustingly long -- 14 minutes -- and consists entirely of a single, succinct musical progression repeated in dozens of variations to create a dauntingly complex architecture of sound. Composed around 1720, on the eve of the European Enlightenment, it is said to be a celebration of the breadth of human possibility.

If Bell's encomium to "Chaconne" seems overly effusive, consider this from the 19th-century composer Johannes Brahms, in a letter to Clara Schumann: "On one stave, for a small instrument, the man writes a whole world of the deepest thoughts and most powerful feelings. If I imagined that I could have created, even conceived the piece, I am quite certain that the excess of excitement and earth-shattering experience would have driven me out of my mind."

So, that's the piece Bell started with.
i'll be posting another link with more bach sonatas and partitas played by zehetmair later today.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
for those of you who read the article linked in the original post, the piece joshua bell started with was the bach chaconne, aka "partita #2 in d min bwv 1004", track 5 in this set of excellent recordings by thomas zehetmair:

http://download.yousendit.com/1BBBE4EA16E159F9

and from the article:

i'll be posting another link with more bach sonatas and partitas played by zehetmair later today.
Sweet! Keep 'em coming. :thumb: