Quantcast

Do I have to test ride it?

WestRider7

Chimp
Feb 19, 2006
Boise
So I am having a dilemma. I have a limited number of companies I can get a bike from because I can get special deals on them. I have been pouring over specs and geometry for weeks now and I have decided to buy a complete bike rather than building one. The two bikes I'm looking at, the Norco shore 2 and the Scott Nitrous are really hard to find in my area. I have been going back and forth comparing suspension design, single piv vs. Horst, and the wieght savings and better parts spec of the Scott, but is it enough to compare geometry online or should I absolutely not by them unless I can ride them. Have any of you bought a bike without test riding it?

J

JRB

I bought my current frame after riding both sizes I was looking at with stems that I wouldn't ride, and offset posts, so it was kind of a crap shoot. I would try to ride the bike. A bad fit is just that. I bought a Salsa Caballero once, based on geometry that fit. Well - the site was wrong. I rode it for a while, and for techy climbing, it was cool. It was just too small. I tried everything, but ended up selling it. I never got it right. I bought my Jamis without riding it, and it was fine. Call tech and get actual measurements if you can. Posted numbers are frequently wrong. Good luck.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I've only ever ridden 1 bike before I bought - the rest I bought frames only, then build it up to fit my needs.

If the frame is built well and the geometery is close to what you're happy with, then I see no reason not to buy it. If you find you're not 100% happy, a lot can be done by swapping out components (stems, bars, etc) to get it to feel the way you want it to.

just my $.02

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Ride them. Even with deals, you are talking about a good chunk of change. Shame to throw good money after something that feels like crap when you ride it.

It is like buying shoes or helmets online. The stated size might be right, but the fit can be wrong.

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
I know the feeling. I want to build up a new hardtail but I can't find one built to borrow. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to choose a frame and hope for the best.

Mordax

Monkey
Sep 13, 2003
Redding, CA
ive bought almost all my bikes without ever riding them. it's the downside of buying used over the net. however, all but one of them have worked out great.

if its convient to test ride it, do it. but its not always requried

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Mordax said:
ive bought almost all my bikes without ever riding them. it's the downside of buying used over the net. however, all but one of them have worked out great.

if its convient to test ride it, do it. but its not always requried
:stupid:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
You need to know what you like before you can really buy bikes blind. Read up on the geometry of all your old bikes and be honest with yourself about what you liked and didn't like and really try to ignore 'fashion' and then maybe you can make a good decision. However I'd totally recommend riding a bike before purchase if at all possible.

Turtle

Chimp
May 10, 2002
Brunswick, OH
I'm going to have to agree with most people here. A test ride is good, but not necessary if you know what you want and have the background to decide on that information (geometry and such).

The other thing is if there is anything questionable at all about the company's built quality don't risk a site unseen purchase. I did that with an Ironhorse and regretted it later. It had pivot issues that weren't resolved to my expectations for a $2K bike:nonono: . It was returned to the online dealer at my shipping cost. I then ordered a Kona from a local dealer (killer deals on leftover models), tested it and loved it.

My instance was like buying a extended car warranty. You get extra warranty if the make/model is at all questionable.

You have chosen two companies that most would see as respectable problem free manufactures.

Good Luck,
Dan

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Riding a bike for feel is a waste of time. Unless you could do a true demo, you won't know how a bike like a Norco Shore feels like in a parking lot.

But riding for fit can be important. When I bought my Kona Dawg Primo, I was unsure about whether to get a 17 or an 18. Trying one out helped me to figure it out.

If you have a good knowledge of sizes and fit, then go ahead. At least you could try a similar bike for a fit.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
ride it. i don't always follow my own advice. i once purchased a hardtail frame that i thought had geometry i would like based on comparisons to bikes i had ridden. however, i was saddly mistaken. that hardtail was awful. nothing i did to it made it ride any better.

i later ended up with another frame that had slightly different geometry and it made a world of difference. i knew it was the right bike for me when i did the parking lot test. it did not dissapoint on the trail.

remember, small number changes can mean huge feel differences. sometimes a longer stem or changing fork height or changing to a 24" rear wheel is not enough.