Quantcast

Do indoor bike parks actually make money?

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Hey all, been looking at places like ray's and wondering to myself why there arent more of them in the cold ass parts of this country. It seems like there are riders all over the place and not enough for them to do in the wintertime. So the question is, is it actually possible to make money owning and operating one of these indoor bike parks? Anybody actually worked for one? Anybody on here secretly the owner of one? I'm graduating from school and I've been thinking about how to generate funds.

I've had some experience working with indoor climbing gyms, and it seems like a similar setup. What kind of insurance do you need to cover your ass? Are most of them built by contracted professionals or does the staff put the stunts together?

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
3 have closed in my area recently and they were all bike friendly. The only ones open now - to my knowledge - are not so bike friendly. It's a tough market in these parts - NC.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
No, any skatepark/bikepark you make will not make money. Unless you hire Nate Wessel to build everything, live close to a large metropolitan or lower income area with cheap rent, you will not make any money. How many parks last over 10 year? Very few. Climbing is far more popular than MTBing, BMXing, or even skating. Plus, there are usually fewer places to climb close to largely populated areas than there are spots to ride or skate close to the city.

Open a park for the love of the sport, but don't expect to make much, if any, money.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
well personaly i would open up a park that is sorta like thrill zone in tacoma WA! they don't have just a indoor skate park(skate and bike friendly) but they have rock climbing arcade and paint ball! they seem to be doing just fine, but what do i know. in my mind there set up brings in money from other activities so they have more chances to mess up in sale! for ex: skate park does bad one month and the paint ball does good the same month it will even out sales!

here is there web site, just if you wanted to check it out!
www.patrotx.com

ps. build a foam pit like this place did, and don't have sh!ty hours like this place either.-2hours=8$

R

richcreek

ray's is doing good, he just built it for the good of the sport, he still works his day job but sometimes makes some, little, extra money

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
ray's has the right location, OHIO. It's very cold, and usually has too much snow to ride during winter, AND real estate is dirt cheap there. try opening a park of that size in california, and see how long it lasts. I think ray has the right idea too. I'd personally love to open a park like Ray's, just so I'd have a place to ride all the time, and use it as a tax write off. To open something like that in california, I think it would be nearly impossible to break even.

scurban said:
ray's has the right location, OHIO. It's very cold, and usually has too much snow to ride during winter, AND real estate is dirt cheap there. try opening a park of that size in california, and see how long it lasts.
Right on. I live in Milwaukee, and the 4 seasons franchise is doing pretty well as far as I can tell...outside of any area thats cold and useless most of the year (midwest) i couldnt imagine trying to keep an indoor park open. out here though, they get pretty packed, even on weeknights.

R.I.P. Triple R. (anyone familiar w/ northern IL, this place was awesome, but somehow went under:dead: )