Quantcast

Do people still wear Dainese armour? Or is it NOT cool anymore.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Dang....I bet that thing smells like a homeless person........

As for me, I'm at #3 sitting of 4 sittings, at 4 hours each into my right arm sleeve so I'm actually going to wear more than a 3/4 sleeved t-shirt or jersey for '08. Will be a 661 pro pressure suit. I hate upper armor because it's hot but I'm pulling my head out of my ass, wiping the **** off my eyes and looking around.

I told myself I would wear upperbody armor for '07 but it just hung in the closet and I only wore elbow pads. I lucked out in '07 and feel like my luck is running out.
They don't stink when you take care of them. They also last a lot longer as the material doesn't get brittle.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That's my combo too. Like Transcend I'm a bit miffed that they stopped making the bibs too. That thigh plate saved my leg once when I supermanned onto a pointy rock. I limped away with a deep hematoma instead of being carried away with a broken femur. You can still see the crease mark in the plastic the rock made.

Plus with the bibs the knee pads stay in place much better than pads alone. No slippage.
They still make the bibs! Gemini Shorts and Viking pants. It is only the 1 piece 3/4 suit they stopped making. In fact, I still have bibs in stock.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
what do you guys wear under your dainese, anything? I wear an underarmour shirt sometimes, but the kidney belt slips on my fat gut and it chafes my armpits sometimes.
i normally dont because its too hot, but in england i wore it with a tight t shirt underneath, i liked it better then with nothing underneath.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I went through a short phase of not wearing any armour, all the while thinking that one day reality will bite me in the ass. So I went out and found the best fitting upper body armour I could find. For me it's Dainese, but every body type is different. I forced myself to start wearing it and after a couple of weeks it's like a second skin. I don't even know I'm wearing it now and unless it's a climbing day, I always wear it.

I stood at the bottom of the gnarly rooted steep pitch near the end of the Canadian Open course with Shaums March this year during the Saturday practice sessions. He was shocked at the amount of riders (mostly young guys) coming through wearing nothing but a t-shirt. He said to one guy "Where is your armour? This is racing not a looking cool contest. If you're not crashing, you're not pushing it hard enough."

Armour can make the differents between getting hurt and being injured. What's the difference? Well hurt means to can still ride, injured means you can. (I'm pretty sure I heard that line in a football movie)

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I have a 661 pressure suit now... Actually two of them, and I have the same problem with both of them. I wear it correctly, but the spine guard rides up and hits the back of my fullface and pushes me head forward. That's why I won't wear them, it will actually make me crash because I can't keep my head up.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Dainese 3/4 shuttle suit + Troy Lee Lopes knee pads.

I'd buy a new suit (mind has seen much better days) but Dainese decided to cease production on the 3/4. ARGH.
Ditto - I've got a set of bib shorts (thigh plates) that I'll wear if the course is extra gnarly

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Man I just took a flop in a rock garden on an XC ride today.

Fookin' ow!!! I wish I had something on then. :disgust1:

Both forearms and knees smacked up and bruised. Not to mention my pride. :poster_oops:

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
I have a 661 pressure suit now... Actually two of them, and I have the same problem with both of them. I wear it correctly, but the spine guard rides up and hits the back of my fullface and pushes me head forward. That's why I won't wear them, it will actually make me crash because I can't keep my head up.
I have had some of the same thing happen to me. Not to the point where it makes me crash or stop wearing it.