Quantcast

Do the atomlab pedals worth the money they cost?

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
I´m thinking in change my pedals (the cheap 50/50 with the long pins kit) and buy some atomlab pedals... not pretty sure yet which model (aircorp or trailking) i´ll choose for a dh use....

i´ve read in www.mtbreview.com about them and all i have found are problems with the bearings and a retaining pin... .. i wanna buy the 07 models but i have no idea if they still have that problem....´cause most of those guys talk about 05 and 06 models... do they have differences with the 07 model?

i´ve checked the atomlab website looking for info about the bearing system and there appears a DU BEARING SYSTEM (is these system the same than a normal sealed bearings) i´m from Chile and cannot translate propperly DU system...

well i hope you can help me with these and guide me to don´t waste 100 bucks... buying these pedals..

that´s all..
thank you very much..

ps: i´m pretty sure i have some grammar and time/verbs mistakes so... forgive me :D trying to do my best

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I had the older model and the bearings did eventually fail, but they were certainly the grippiest pedals I've ever used. The '07s look awesome. A buddy of mine has a pair and has not had any problems so far. They are like the old ones with a better bearing system and thinner profile. You could probably get a solid pedal that performs 85% as well for about 50% of the cost (Wellgo, Azonic, etc), but the Atomlabs are definitely nice. Whether they are worth it depends on how much $100 means to you.

jrfor0

Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
the pedals are VERY nice. for 2007 atomlab installed rubber preload rings to preload the bushings instead of metal wavy washers that had a tendency to flatten out.

the pedals spin on bushings instead of cartridge bearings that most all other pedals use. bushings are able to support pedal loads more effectively then bearings but have a tendency to wear out a little quicker.

all in all i think the 2007 pedals are definitely worth every penny, though the bushings still don't hold up as well as bearings. i would still recommend them to anyone.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
My friend had the old aircorps and they developed very bad side to side to play (3-4mm) which is totally not acceptable.

My other friend has the new 07 aircorps and trailkings and they have developed around 2mm of side to side play which is borderline acceptable.

The pedals are grippy as hell and the low profile kicks arse, but in my experience the pedals have consistent quality control issues and side to side play meaning i wouldn't pay the money for them myself.

For the money look into the straitline pedals, or keep an eye on the new kona flat pedal due out in a month or two.

It sucks that there is a limited choice of thin flat pedals.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
yeah my friends ran the older ones and bearings shot after only a few rides.
New ones may be better, I hope so.
I have owned the same set of Easton flatboys since like 2000. The bearings
are still in excellent shape and no side to side play. Only the pins have worn
down and I think they are like 70 dollars.

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
i´ve read carefully all the answers you have wrote... and i really appreciate it¡¡

here down in chile is a little hard to find those pedals you have listed before.... (kona, azonic) and the atomlab are gonna be sell in a shop i use to go... so i have 2 or 3 pedals to choose... the atomlabs, the 50/500xx, and some kore pedals..

but i think i´ll check them by my own eyes and hands and see how they look..

but anyway... keep sharing all the info you have....it always helps
thank you again...

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I have owned the same set of Easton flatboys since like 2000.
I had a pair of those that lasted a year before one literally fell off the spindle, then i couldn't get parts for them even though they are supposed to be fully rebuildable. Nice shape though.

I have had good luck with azonic a-frames, 2 1/2 years on the same set, they are a little heavy and fat though.

I want to try the straitline pedals but i can't justify the cost seeing they are new and just end up getting trashed.

Carnaza, if you get the atomlabs and need to get parts you can buy them from mailorder shops like chain reaction cycles. They are good feeling grippy pedals but may develop slop, some people don't mind it other like me hate it.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Brands.aspx?BrandID=196

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
the newer atomlabs have a couple of big DU bushings instead of bearings, i think theyre great, they will always have some side to side and axial play though, some people cant live with that i think its an acceptable tradeoff.
the problem is that the the retaining clip is undersized and it can deform resulting in the massive play cavedweller noticed, that can be fixed however, say, with duct tape, or just jamming something in between the clip and the axle to take up the slack, no big deal.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
ok. first of all no bearings are in the aircorps. only bushings and washers. second, you can get the parts to rebuild aircorps at any hardware store for mere pennies. that is the beauty of the pedals. they may cost a bit but you are buying a pedal that will outlast your bike.

L

luelling

I have the trail king pedals and have loved em. Despite what it says now, that pedal was designed by one of the top BMX riders for Little Devil Clothing Company. He was a hard rider, doing big gaps/drops and grinding tall rails. They are a bit beat up, but have held up well to downhill riding/racing. I'm not sure if they are bushing or bearing, but they still spin free after several years....no maintenance.

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
ok. first of all no bearings are in the aircorps. only bushings and washers. second, you can get the parts to rebuild aircorps at any hardware store for mere pennies. that is the beauty of the pedals. they may cost a bit but you are buying a pedal that will outlast your bike.
any one of you have an exploded view of them? maybe some photos of the internals parts to figure out how are they built.
thx

L

luelling

any one of you have an exploded view of them? maybe some photos of the internals parts to figure out how are they built.
thx
Since I was bored, I pulled out the axle of my Trail Kings and took pics. It looks like bushings and I've ridden for several years with no problems. I also race clipped, so they have been more of my off season pedal. They do have a large axle and spin really nice(that took a while...they were stiff as hell for a long time).

Attachments

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I have the 2007 trailpimp pedals. They developed slop after about an hour of riding. They have not yet fallen off the axle but I will not be buying them again.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I've been riding Atom Labs Aircorps pedals since 2001, they are the grippiest I've found and combined with my 5.10 shoes I've completely abandoned clipless on all my bikes. That being said, I have finally switched the pedals on my DHR over to NYC Freeride Pedals for durability as the Aircorps didn't last long for DH and the NYC pedals are durable to say the least. The NYC pedals are not nearly as grippy but can take a beating.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
What everyone else has said; amazing feeling pedal, easily the thinnest profile available on the market today, sloppy after an hour of riding, may fall off the axle without warning. In Australia they cost $190AUD retail, so if you're paying retail, they're not worth the quality control / random near death moments. That said, even though I've nearly died as a result of them twice, I wouldn't swap them out because they feel un-fricken-believable, head and shoulders better than anything else on the market right now. Put loctite on the retaining bolts and replace the split ring / circlip things with regular washers and they will cease falling off their axles.

thejames

Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
austin
atomlab pedals do not have c clips any more. they all connect with a bolt that goes in the end of the spindle so that the pedal cannot fall of of the body ever. all atomlab pedals have bushings and no bearings. i have been running their pedals since the late 90's and i have never had a bushing wear out, some of the pedals from 2002 through 2005 had bearing issues. most atomlab pedals develop some side to side play when they are new, this can be easily fixed with some delrin washers available at any hardware store for almost nothing. they are by far the grippiest pedals i have ever owned and i have owned probably every pedal you can think of.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
My mates 07 aircorps have wave washers (new slim line body). The wave washer crushes then develops side to side play. You shouldn't need to microspace out with washers on a $150 set of pedals.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I love the grip on my '06 Aircorps but hate the play. For the $$ you pay for them, this should not happen. I got play 1 month into using them. E mailed Atom Lab on this over the winter and haven't heard a response yet.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I rode some of the new style aircorps (The thin ones, 06 with the wavy washers, not 07's). They already had play in them when I tried 'em out but they felt really nice. They have a nice size platform and grip pretty well. I didn't mind the play, it wasn't noticeable while I was riding. I'd buy some even if I knew they would develop play (if I had money that is).