Quantcast

do XT hubs suck or......

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
....is there something I need to do to mine?
There is play galore & when I lock up my brake the wheel will rotate 10-15mm.
:help:

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
Sounds like they just need some luvin. Im sure some ppl will chime in and say "XT hubs suck, buy kings/Hugi/Hadley," but XT hubs work fine if you take care of them. They are heavy tho.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
sound like you just need to adjust your bearings.
XT hubs don't suck. they're pretty decent, actually. not up to the quality of King or Hadley, but they also cost a fraction of the price. they just need some adjustment every now and again. while you at it adjusting the bearings, you might as well overhaul them (clean 'em out and repack with fresh grease).

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Sounds good, thanks. I figured they just need some TLC.

anyone know what size cone wrenches I need to bust this badboy open?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Without some love they will turn into total shat...but for the price they are damn good if you dont mind a little maintenance

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
thanx, I am sure I will be needing some more help once I get my cone wrenches.

also, do you service the front just like the rear?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
TN said:
thanx, I am sure I will be needing some more help once I get my cone wrenches.

also, do you service the front just like the rear?
Yep, when you open them up have them over a towel or something to catch the bearings as they fall out.

You might also want to pick up a 10mm hex to remove the freehub body.

Do not take the freehub body apart. It will be a pain in the ass to put back together.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
TN. Sup dude? congrats on your wedding and trip to NV and UT. THose were bad ass pics. sorry to have missed you in Eureka Springs. Hope to see you at DD in Sept.

My brother had the local LBS install a thru axle on his rear XT hub and it took out all the play. Im sure they did some other work too while they were in there but the total cost was like $40.00

laterz,
joel

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
joel hester said:
TN. Sup dude? congrats on your wedding and trip to NV and UT. THose were bad ass pics. sorry to have missed you in Eureka Springs. Hope to see you at DD in Sept.

My brother had the local LBS install a thru axle on his rear XT hub and it took out all the play. Im sure they did some other work too while they were in there but the total cost was like $40.00

laterz,
joel
Thanks.
I hope we can make it to DD, work has been a nightmare lately.

I am gonna check on installng a thru axle on my next trip to the LBS.

V

Vermont

i did the same thing to the freehub body....basically tore it apart..but it happened on a really steep climb and that i was tearing into...i felt a pop..i got off and pushed up the hill...i was able to coast home but the hub was shot... the hoop was nearly scooped out so i retired it..its got pot's n pan's hangin off it over my stove...:)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Knobularlife said:
The hardware on the driveside has a way of backing out .....mash it down :devil: and then make the proper adj at the non-drive.
Good n tite yo :p
I know your mechanic expertise knows no bounds but you still haven't figured out how to put that poor lizards tail back on have ya. :devil: :evil: :monkey:

Haha listen to Knobbz Tn he's smart... kinda. :p