Quantcast

do you commute?

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
what kind of backpack/ bag do you use?
currently i have a timbuc2 deedog thats about beat. im looking to replace it with something a bit more comfortable. when i bought it i wasnt carrying much. now i take my 15" laptop and books or a change of clothes with me most of the tima and my computer stabs me in the ribs. the bag has no structure and is really hard to get comfortable.
wondering if other people have had better luck with other bags.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I actually use a Crossover backpack that has a detachable insulated lunch pack as well. I can fit all my workout clothes, my work clothes, my lunch, and some books in it usually.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
I use my Dakine Element backpack. I'm lazy/poor, so I use what I have. I have no complaints. Nicely padded back, contoured straps, decent amount of space, and an organizer (it doubles as my school backpack)

face

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
northern utah
yeah i have the same problem i need something with some structure to it. whenever i ride my bike to school it will always slope off to a side. i think we need to get something with a chest and belt strap.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I rock a North Face "hot shot". It's a little small on fridays - I carry some shoes as well as it's "wear whatever the hell you want" day and I dont really want to leave uber comfy shoes at work througout the week. Commuting is one of the few times that I wish I was a tiny person as my clothes would fit so much better in a bag...

I've seen some guys carry their laptop in their pannier bag.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I use a jandd commuter bag/pannier. It's pretty nice not having to wear a sweaty pack to school. Although it does throw the balance of the bike to the left.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i use a camelbak transalp. big enough for a laptop and a change of clothes, and even some shoes in the outside flap, along with water and tools of course. :thumb:

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I use a ReLoad civilian: super comfortable, and the materials used are second to none. After using it for a long time, I've found that with shoulder bags, if you don't have your books/laptop/helmet or whatever oriented right inside, it will stab you in the back mercilessly and it will hurt.

However, as long as you load your stuff correctly, and keep the bag sitting high up on your back, it's far more comfortable than a backpack. I haven't tried too many Timbuk2 bags, but you might want to try rearranging your stuff and tightening up the strap before you rush into buying a new bag.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i use the large size timbuktu courier bag.

is your screen name from that old death metal band from the early 90's named "at the gates"

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
It's more about packing things right and distributing the load. A nice bag helps, but if you weight it all to one side, it's still going to slide around on your back.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I ride about 12 miles to work sometimes and I've got a crappy 10 dollar Old Navy messenger back. My shoulder and back are ALWAYS sore because of it, and it has no space. I'm going to start doing package/letter running for a UPS Store downtown in January, so I'm going to need a better bag. Are the Chromes worth it? I really like the suspended liner and the hugeness of their biggest bag (Kremlin). They also aren't anywhere as nearly as ugly as the Timbuk2s. Thoughts?

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
blue said:
Are the Chromes worth it? I really like the suspended liner and the hugeness of their biggest bag (Kremlin). They also aren't anywhere as nearly as ugly as the Timbuk2s. Thoughts?
I've had a Timbuk bag for a few years, but my roomate has a Chrome and it makes the Timbuk feel like a total piece of crap. the Chrome bags stay in place much better than the Timbuk and just seem to carry stuff better. my Timbuk feels clunky and bulging when it's more than half full. The few times that I've used a Chrome it didn't feel that way. my 2cents from my limited experience with the Chrome.

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
is your screen name from that old death metal band from the early 90's named "at the gates"

-it is.

my timbuc2 is getting worn on top of being uncomfortable. so im looking into a crome messenger pack. i can get one at a substantial discount and the quality of the few i have seen is much better than timbuc2, with more attention to ergonomics and details.