Quantcast

Do You Have a Bash Gaurd or a 3rd Chainring?

Mguts1

Chimp
Apr 1, 2009
I recently bought a Trek Fuel and was thinking about taking the biggest chain ring off and putting a guard on there. I don't really see myself using the biggest gear that much. I used to ride a lot on the street, but hardly ever do anymore. Out of curiosity, I was wondering what all of you have on your XC rigs.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Big ring. Although I can see going to a dual 36 X 24 with a bash. I ride to trails where a big ring or bigger gear than a 32 X 11 is useful.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I often miss my third chain ring on my bike. Not so much on downhills but I am used to having a few more choices when riding on flat ground.

Zenkis14

Monkey
Sep 20, 2009
I run a 1x9 on my XC Cannondale. Love the simplicity, never go back to full gears.

So yes, I have a bash guard taking the spot of the 3rd chainring

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
why do you guys run the bash? are you really hitting that much stuff? I mean i occasionally will run my big ring into a fallen tree or rock, but not often enough where i felt i needed a bash guard.

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
i run a 22/36/bash setup on my XC bike, kind of an experiment to see if i would like it- I rarely find myself missing the bigger ring and never use the lowest few gears so I am going to switch to 28/40/bash or maybe 26/38 with an 11-28 cassette out back...

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
bash, with 34t or 36t rings + granny is all I need for trails. big ring for downhill roads or to take up chain slack on the way down.

I recently took off my big ring so I could shorten my chain so it won't slap around as much. when it comes time to replace the chain rings I will get a 34 or 36 instead of the 32.

Last edited:

scabbyass

Chimp
Sep 18, 2006
i run a mrp 1x guide , no bash guard and a 32 . great set up and extremely light with no problems at all . i have ran 1x 9 set ups for awhile and i love them , this set up is on my blur xcc .

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
1x9 32x11-34 is where it's at. thinking about 34x11-36. i don't particularly notice using my bash too much but it's got a few dents that would have done it a $60 44t. even if you don't smash it, bash guard = 1/2 chain guide.

steve owens

Chimp
May 22, 2008
Hendersonville,N.C.
I never used the 3rd ring up front. I guess it depends on where and how you ride. Around Pisgah, the 3rd ring would act as a pretty good crampon for logs. I have single ring and double ring on my bikes,normally with guides.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
bash guard, more often im glad i have it rather than the 3rd ring, although sometimes when we do an all day ride we find ourselves on the road getting to the next trail head and run out of gear..

Al-F

Chimp
Dec 15, 2007
Hope Mills, NC
My trails here get pretty flat so 3 rings. However, when I was in Korea I never used the big ring on the trails. Heck, I used the granny gear there maybe even more than my 32.

Heres a thought; have your cake and eat it too. what I mean is if there are places you ride a lot that need the big ring keep it...if there are places you ride a lot that need the bash guard use it instead.

Now, to have your cake and eat it too: if you can keep up with this, then buy a bash guard and keep your big ring. when you ride a lot of flats areas go big ring. you get into big rocky obstacles and logs that you case a lot replace with the bash guard and don't forget to lock out your big ring so you only have the 32/22.

Senorfrog

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
I run a 36 up front and a bash. really need a chainguide or at least one of those jumpguard things thats like a ghetto chainguide. though my der hanger is bent so I can't go into 1st on the back, but im coming off a singlespeed so anything below 36-20 is awesome (there are a lot of big hills where I ride)

edit: and i switched to the bash for good reason after I dominated 2 different 3rd chainrings on rocks/logjams. Also I like it better because when you go over logjams you don't get slowed down by your chainring catching on the log, instead you just slide over it. plus it keeps your chain from coming off the outside.

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I've run a bash ring for 6 years now. Never used the big chain ring. The only time I used it was when I was on a road. Now my bike doesn't hit the roads. I have a different bike for that. Plus, I'm heavy. I go plenty fast downhill and don't need a big ring. If you're going down dirt trails and you actually need to use your big ring, you're going too fast for your own good.
I also switched over because i took a spill a long time ago and my big ring took a chunk out of the back of my knee.

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
I ran a bash with 2 rings up front for the longest time and recently got myself a chainguide, and I'm running 8 gears in the back. Needless to say, I'll never be running more than one ring up front again :p

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I had one ring on my bike two seasons ago. It was fine for the local trails. But for places like moab, i had to keep walking up the really steep stuff. I didn't have the power for it. So i switched back to two rings up front with a chain tensioner that has a roller on it.

Metal head. Nice sig. I love Primus. Actually the older stuff though.