Quantcast

Do you have a masters degree?

L

luelling

So....my wife is going back for her Dr. in Pharm and I would like to go back for my MBA or Masters in Engineering Management (I have a software degree). My school would take two to three years, hers more like four to five. Can I defer my loans while she is still in school? Also, I intend on working full time....has anyone done this? Is it possible or next to not? If I wait till shes done I'll be 30-31 and I would rather go back sooner than later. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I was working full time when I got my masters. It's do-able, but you won't have much free time and you will need to manage what time you do have wisely. Not sure if you can defer your loans...you would have to check with your lender sometimes you can, others you won't be able to.

The other challenge you will have is fitting your class schedule into your work schedule...how flexible is your current job with hours, etc. so that you could get to classes? You may also want to check with your employer...sometimes they offer tuition reimbursement if you're furthering your education in your field.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I stopped working to get my MBA... going part time becomes a chore and takes too long in my opinion... There are graduate assistantships that you can get to help pay/defray the cost.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I got my MBA while working full-time, I won't lie and say it was easy but it was well worth it. Key is to find out from a student near completion on the easy v. hard classes and mix and match appropriately.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
You might be able to defer your loans if you get a spousal consolidation and make her the primary borrower.

My wife got her Masters while working full time, that's going to come in handy now that she's going to home w/ our baby.

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
almost done with my masters, working full time..... i have no social or sports life.... but im allready collecting the benefits.... lots of promotions, lots of unespected cash... and the company i work for is paying for my masters

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
My wife recently got her MSW. She worked full time the first year and didn't work at all the 2nd. You can do full time both years but be prepared for no life at all besides school. Our deal was she goes and I work then vice versa....I would get all your loans paid off first though but that's just me...D

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
My company will pay for my Masters, I just don't want to get it. Unless it's to leave.

I would jump on this in a heart beat.

Honestly I wish I had some idea of what I wanted to do when I went and got my Bachelors Degree. I spent too much of my college time high though to care much. Now of course I'm kicking myself.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
My company will pay for my Masters, I just don't want to get it. Unless it's to leave.
My wife worked at SDSU so 90% of everything was covered by her job....I don't see how you can pass that up. Many people would kill to be in your position...D

L

luelling

Thanks for the comments...I guess I should have elaborated a bit more...I'm the bread winner by a long ways, so I have to work full time to make the house payment and such. I guess I kinda figured that it would take all of my free time...my employer would be flexible, but being the state they won't pay for my school, only work with me on the schedule.

And yes, my wife will be worth GOLD when she finishes school. From OSU, they are placing students making at least six figures (think how much they will pay in five years!!).

L

luelling

I also wanted to ask worth everyone who has gotten a masters, was it worth it? Did it bump your pay up a fair amount?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I've got both a Masters and a PhD. I worked through both - full time in an unrelated job while writing my dissertation (not recommended). You can definitely work while doing grad school, but you really have to be on your game to do it. Don't expect to spend a whole lot of time with your wife for the next few years though.

More education is ALWAYS worth it, no matter what you are getting paid, but yes it does make a difference.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I dont think YOU can defer but wtf do i know i flunked out of schoole.
i have 2 bro's who both excelled in learning. one with some kind of extra graduate degree from ATM and works network smart guy stuff for exxon/mobile the other has some kind of extra extra graduate degree from ATM then like some kind of online thing from like princton or some other smart guy place like that. HE travels the world giving lectures on RF chip testing or some smart guy **** like that. also wrote a book that has become industry standard. I have no education but tons of experience in my line of business. Guy #1 makes 2X what i does. Guy 2 I would guess makes 3x what i do. we do not discuess what we make but guy one just bought a 4,500sq house in the burbs and guy 2 sold a 1,5oo sq foot loft on 6th street in austin and bought a place on lake travis - fat stacks.

L

luelling

I've got both a Masters and a PhD. I worked through both - full time in an unrelated job while writing my dissertation (not recommended). You can definitely work while doing grad school, but you really have to be on your game to do it. Don't expect to spend a whole lot of time with your wife for the next few years though.

More education is ALWAYS worth it, no matter what you are getting paid, but yes it does make a difference.
Thats kinda how I look at, education is NEVER wasted. My wife has struggled to get a descent job with her B.S. and is questioning if it was worth it...hell, the fact that she is well rounded and educated is part of the reason I married her....and I'm one hell of a catch :) j/k

SO.....just to give an update, we went and talked to counselors for my wifes Dr. degree and it turns out it will take six years (she needs two years of undergrad studies.....basically classes she didn't need to take for her four year degree). I was a bit bumbed, but enthused as well. I'm going to be going back to school in the fall of 2008, instead of waiting, for my masters in information technology management. In six years we'll be making bank (my estimate is close to $200k between the two of us).

I figure six years will pass weather she goes to school or not....so why not do it? Her earning potential for her life goes thru the roof and she will be a lot happier, thats what matters the most. I'll keep everyone posted on how things go...and probably bitch lots (if you care).

Old_Dude

Monkey
Don't expect to spend a whole lot of time with your wife for the next few years though.
I'm in! (ha)

I started mine but I'm taking a hiatus for a few months - will begin again in January of '08 - starting a new teaching job in August & I want to get off to a good start at the new school, so I'm putting the degree on hold for a few months.