Quantcast

do you know what makes biking suck?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
ThePriceSeliger said:
Tubeless!
yeah, gotta get my Reign on par with my other wheelsets. Those hyper-light XC tubes are the pits. First ride on a brand-new bike and i'm walking the bike back half-way through. Try to get out a second time and the patched thing leaks like a sive....

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
zedro said:
yeah, gotta get my Reign on par with my other wheelsets. Those hyper-light XC tubes are the pits. First ride on a brand-new bike and i'm walking the bike back half-way through. Try to get out a second time and the patched thing leaks like a sive....
You have an all-mountain bike with skimpy-XC tubes....

You didn't bring a spare....

1 + 1 =2

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Actually, what makes riding trails suck is riding a bike w/o full Avy suspension products...Jesus hates you now because you don't run Avy... :rolleyes:

But really, what I've done is use 2.5 or 2.35 Maxxis tyres with a DH casing...As you know the Maxxis tyres run small, so it's not like running a 3.0 Gazzi or anything...Of course it's heavier than a single ply, but it drastically reduces flats (with XC tubes no less) and it let's me continue to be lazy by not having to buy rim strips, Stans, or tubeless rims...

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
what sucks more is breaking stuff, and parts going loose/out of adjustment even when you've torqued them properly and adjusted them perfectly.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
mud sucks...finally dusted of the old xc bike for a spin thinking it would be dry but sure enough the trail was like a river (im at school in northern cal, im sure sb is perfect right now) oh and i pinched a tube changing a tire on my slalomn bike...damn moto levers

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I have a feeling that giant likes to spec XC tubes and tires because they are cheaper. My faith came with XC casing tires and super light XC tubes. Now I need to buy new tires. But at least the rest of the bike is pretty nice.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Bicyclist said:
That's what you get for being a pansy and using tire levers. :clue:

i can usually bust em w/ my hands but this one was being a b#tch...i did once change a moto tyre with two plastic mtb levers and one metal mtb lever and about five screwdrivers..thats not fun especially when you have new black rims!!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
thaflyinfatman said:
hahaha, I haven't gotten a flat for over 3 years now (using tubes all that time).
Now that you said that you're probably going to get stranded 40 miles out w/ a flat. :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What sucks about biking is cross country racing.

I love explaining broken bones to people as "mountain biking" and having the response be along the lines of "well you've got to expect injuries when all you've got on is spandex".

Anything beyond that is your own stupidity and your own responsibility.
Say no to xc standards!!.

HA!

FREERDR4LF

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
FOLSOM, CA.
thaflyinfatman said:
hahaha, I haven't gotten a flat for over 3 years now (using tubes all that time).
same here
double tracks + DH tubes + minions = no flats for 3 years.
and still going strong.
don't know anything about XC wheel setups though.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
zedro said:
well i didnt know how under spec'ed the tubes were. And i thought i was only going on a leisurely trail-poaching jaunt on Mt-Royal.....
know exactly what you mean, i demoed Gemini last year on the north shore only to get a puncture 1/3 of the way down. Trying to patch the thing i found they speced a XC tubes for a demo day on the shore

sometimes having a heavy wheelset with DH tubes beat getting flats so often

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
thaflyinfatman said:
theres usually a point in august where i comment on the chairlift up that i've never had a flat yet and thats why i stopped bringing any tools with me. Three flats later that morning....

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
zedro said:
theres usually a point in august where i comment on the chairlift up that i've never had a flat yet and thats why i stopped bringing any tools with me. Three flats later that morning....
hahaha. My sgs is still on the original OEM tubes... I have only ever bought one tube in the past 3 years, and it's STILL a spare.

J

JRB

zedro said:
Have you posted pics??? What size and what not??? I posted in your mtbr thread, but never saw anymore. I am running ghetto tubeless with Maxxis strips on mine, and diggin' it.

J

JRB

zedro said:
I kind of thought he might be tempting fate. :think:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
loco said:
Have you posted pics??? What size and what not??? I posted in your mtbr thread, but never saw anymore. I am running ghetto tubeless with Maxxis strips on mine, and diggin' it.
yeah i was gonna try the Maxxis strips, not sure if i'll find locally tho...

J

JRB

zedro said:
I have a pair I can send you if you can run the DH1s, or you can get them from Maxxis. They are $5 a piece, which is nothing. I've used them and stan's, and no offense to stan or mike b, but these seem nicer.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
My stumpy FSR came with the most rediclulously thin XC tubes, actually thinner than their super light aftermarker tubes.

It was a shock when I double flatted on my first ride on the bike and found tubes thinner than a powerbar wrapper in there.:mumble:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Zark said:
My stumpy FSR came with the most rediclulously thin XC tubes, actually thinner than their super light aftermarker tubes.

It was a shock when I double flatted on my first ride on the bike and found tubes thinner than a powerbar wrapper in there.:mumble:
Tell me about it!

When I got my Stumpy HT I had to change out the tubes before I rode it. I swapped over tires when it came so I was lucky enough to see that the tubes were crazy thin before figuring it out the hard way.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
zedro said:
I'm pretty sure Maxxis is no longer making these, or they will be stoping soon so Stans might be our only choice in the not-so-distant future.