Quantcast

Do you remember front derailleurs?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm thinking about running a FD on my beater bike. I have a nearly new XT in the bin. The shifters I'm eyeballing are SRAM. Anybody run a shimano FD with a SRAM shifter? Doesn't really need to work well, just passably as it's not like I'll be critically dropping rings in order to power up a thing or whatever.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
For many years I ran a grip shift front shifter with a shimano front derailleur, for micro-trimming ability and, later, dropper lever real estate. (That would be coupled with a regular trigger shifter for the rear.) Worked great but not sure if SRAM triggers would play nice with a shimano front der.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
We're going to have to stage an intervention re: you starting "will these two random parts work together" threads.

This one does work though.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I remember them, I fitted a brand new one as a new MTB drivetrain install to a bike over the weekend. (2x11)

I think I've pretty much always used SRAM shifters with Shimano FD's.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
They'll work together fine. Sram had shifters out for 10+ years before they ever offered front derailleurs.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
SRAM didn't do a lot right back in the early days, but one of the exceptions was the micro-adjust front shifter. 3x was a shitshow IME, adjusting it as a shop tech, using it as a rider, in many cases it would never be "perfect" no matter what you did, you'd always get some rub in some combinations and the chain might fall off. The micro-adjust let you "trim" the system to make it not rub or give a little inward rub so the chain wouldn't fall off, etc. I think this largely went away with 2x, but this was one of my big gripes with 3x, it just never worked perfectly or at the least, it was so rare that you could never count on it.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I'm thinking about running a FD on my beater bike. I have a nearly new XT in the bin. The shifters I'm eyeballing are SRAM. Anybody run a shimano FD with a SRAM shifter? Doesn't really need to work well, just passably as it's not like I'll be critically dropping rings in order to power up a thing or whatever.
I have a Sram Attack grip shifter if you'd like that has like 2 clicks in between the actual numbers (first and second gear). $20 shipped? The shipping is like $12 ffs.