Quantcast

Do you ride your best when angry?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I was just wondering this. I usually listen to industrial music before a DH race to get amped and really pissed off. And just an hour ago i had an argument with my bitch mom and had to get outta the house, and rode urban like no other. Got the manual down to about 45 feet and the pedal kick is improving.

God, i need to be angry more often. :mad: grrrr.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Yea...
In a way, I guess it could be called anger. I usually listen to Rage Against The Machine before racing...more to get amped I guess. Riding urban does help in beating out frustration for me, though.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
yup.

Two weeks in a row last year, I hammered up 10-17 mile climbs and totally destroyed a buddy who normally is much faster than me. I had just gotten of the phone each time with my then g/f.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
LordOpie said:
yup.

Two weeks in a row last year, I hammered up 10-17 mile climbs and totally destroyed a buddy who normally is much faster than me. I had just gotten of the phone each time with my then g/f.

Too bad you broke up with her, youd be semi pro by now. :devil:

Maybe Lance will have marital troubles for his next tour of France.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I usually throw down some Heavy azz Metal before i ride allah Pantera, Slipknot, Damage Plan, Sheot like that. Just gets me amped.
Inspires and humbles at the same time...
I dont know if I would call it pissed off or not, just aggressive as hell.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
im only better at riding angry when im by myself cause if im with my friends i find that im being an asshole if im angry.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
This thread is kinda why I like MTB so much. I have had many many poo poo days at work, be all pissed off at the trail head, get on my bike hammer a bit and then voila...

Much better now...

I can be angry when I get on the bike, but rarely when I get off.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Nope. Some here may be surprised to hear me say that. As I am angry much of the time. But I make stupid mistakes, take stupid chances, and generally act like a fool. My Buds call me T-Man. I am miserable to be around when I am like that. I tend to out sprint the group, attack the climbs (and then blow up), and be a bastard. If you get a mechanical while I am T-Man and if I think it is because you didn't take care of your bike and I have to wait.... Well lets just say it is not pretty.

Inversely I think riding takes the edge of my anger. I don't get in as many fights when I ride regularly. I do better at work. When I have a GF they say I treat them better when I ride often. My Family has even gotten to the point of asking me how my riding is going before they invite me over for a function. JBP is right though. Anger will never make you better at anything.....jdcamb

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
This thread is kinda why I like MTB so much. I have had many many poo poo days at work, be all pissed off at the trail head, get on my bike hammer a bit and then voila...

Much better now...

yeah, it is a great blowoff valve.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Mtb_Rob_FL said:

Much better now...

Totally. Stressfull days at work make me really want to ride and blow off steam, but I'm never angry on my bike. I'm having too much fun :love:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
If I ride angry I'll kill a hiker and get my trails shut down. Its been mandated that I ride fairly medicated to reduce my "outbursts" ;)

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Zark said:
If I ride angry I'll kill a hiker and get my trails shut down. Its been mandated that I ride fairly medicated to reduce my "outbursts" ;)
And is this medication legal? :thumb:

CoMo

Chimp
Nov 13, 2004
SoCal
I suck when I'm angry... but when I ride when I'm angry I get less angry.

Goofiness rules while riding!!! :dancing: :D

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Anger does not really help my riding. I am best when relaxed but aggressive. I get nervous kind of easily, too. When I'm in the start gate at a DH race, I can feel my hear rate going up as the count goes down. I don't need anger, I need to chill the hell out.

Being angry sometimes helps when I lift weights, though. It certainly helped when I was playing football. I had a habit of...umm...rage when I played football. One could say I was a little *too* angry sometimes. Something about taking my helmet off and throwing it...kicking a kid on the ground....I dunno...

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Heck yeah. Getting pissed off at my ex-girlfriend is what got me really interested in freeriding in the first place. I don't think it makes me better I just care less about my personal well-being.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
JRogers said:
When I'm in the start gate at a DH race, I can feel my hear rate going up as the count goes down.

Oh Jesus i hate that. I dont get it when DHing because i know i can controll my speed, but jesus i used to get it so bad when ski racing. :mumble:

The worst part is that shake that comes before, once its beeps it fades away and your off...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Racing road is a good sport to be angry. Look at Lance. That guy funnels his hate into his riding. Usually his best days come after some a-hole reporter questions him about drugs or something stupid.

There isn't alot of skill involved at the high speeds, mostly instinct. I've chased down breaks when I properly motivated myself (by getting as furious as possible).

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I ride best when I am completely peaceful. I get a song in my head, a smile on my face, and everything just falls together. When a run starts to go sour and I start to get frustrated or angry, the problems just multiply and I can't find the groove again. I do usually listen to something up-tempo before racing just because it works better as a mental soundtrack when I'm trying to go fast, but all that heavy crap does nothing for me. I can hardly make myself angry when there's something to be angry about, much less when Im doing what I love the most.

Keep it groovy baby.

EDIT: XC racing was a different story, you've got to want to KILL to stay motivated for that kind of pain. I like DH racing because I don't even have to think about the other riders, I just do my run and worry about who won once I cross the finish line. It's all at once incredibly intense and incredibly peaceful. This is also why I liked endurance racing, you end riding by yourself and it's just you and your thoughts and your bike, no distractions. As you could probably guess I F'in hate mountaincross.