Quantcast

Do your feet hurt after a ride?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
So I ride in skate shoes and after a few days of hard riding my feet will hurt.
I'm guessing the soles aren't stiff enough and this strains my arches.

Any recomendations on stiffed soled shoes?
You know, I'm not looking for a moto boot, but something inbetween would be nice.

yes, i did a search and there's nothing on stiff shoes.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
I just got some oakleys that are like super, super stiff... I think it has more to do where you put your feet, if they're more forward, then you strain your feet more than if they were centered.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I have been riding for a long time...and every time my feet tingle-no matter what bike, what shoes. I must have something wired wrong in my body, but we all knew that.

Jack_L

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
ncrider said:

You know, I'm not looking for a moto boot, but something inbetween would be nice.
I ride with skate shoes too, but I have this insole that has a carbon fibre arch support and a nice gel heel and all that other jazz. It's pretty nice. It's made by Sof Sole, and its called the graphite orthotic.

It helped my feet and knees a lot because I have flat feet.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Get some good insoles. Superfeet are what I've got. You can get custom ones if you've got the bucks. Don't sweat the price. They will last thru 5 pairs of shoes.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Apart from the carbon insoles mentioned above (too $$$ for me), what are these other insoles all about? I mean are they just those little foamy rubber things you can buy at the supermarket or am I thinking of the wrong product?

AlberTop

Monkey
Nov 30, 2004
South
ncrider said:
So I ride in skate shoes and after a few days of hard riding my feet will hurt.

yes, i did a search and there's nothing on stiff shoes.
What's your weight? If you are big you better use some additional cushioning on the sole.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
get a set of the Five Ten Impact's. Read the info on their site about the shock absorption qualities of the Stealth Rubber. I rode an entire day of DH runs on them, on my hardtail to boot, (and I nromally ride clipless) and my feet felt great afterwards. If I had worn any of my Van's my feet would have been killing me.
Throwing one of those inserts in would be the next step of course..... :D

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
ncrider said:
Apart from the carbon insoles mentioned above (too $$$ for me), what are these other insoles all about? I mean are they just those little foamy rubber things you can buy at the supermarket or am I thinking of the wrong product?

They are way better. I have 1 pair of Superfeet. I put them in which ever shoe I'm riding in. It keeps the balls of my feet drom getting sore, especially on long road rides. They are only about $20. You can use them for snowboarding and in your work boots too. It really takes the sting out of standing on concrete for 10 hours if you have that kind of job.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
I'm not a big guy (165lb) so it's not my weight. I just have tender feet :rolleyes:

So I think I'll give those Superfeet things a try, for now anyway. I'm still really wanting to find something that has an overal stiff sole, something that could provide protection and comfort.

I'd really like to get those new impact's. Those look sick. Last I read the wait was super long, but that was awhile back.

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
I used superfeet for a few year, mostly snowboarding. They are stiff but abit hard on the feet. The heel cushion is slightly bulky. I tried the Sole brand after my five-ten impact were leaving me sore and will never look back. Perfect fit, and they really offer the best cushion I've ever felt. Get em, they work!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
ncrider said:
I'm not a big guy (165lb) so it's not my weight. I just have tender feet :rolleyes:

So I think I'll give those Superfeet things a try, for now anyway. I'm still really wanting to find something that has an overal stiff sole, something that could provide protection and comfort.

I'd really like to get those new impact's. Those look sick. Last I read the wait was super long, but that was awhile back.
Impact's are shipping direct if you call them, they are in stock except a few really popular size maybe. Call erico@fiveten.com
or:
Five Ten
P.O. Box 1185
Redlands, CA 92373
Tel. (909) 798-4222
Fax. (909) 798 5272

For product information or
catalog request please contact:
custserv@fiveten.com

Or you can pre-order a pair from www.go-ride.com

Jack_L

Chimp
Aug 25, 2004
ncrider said:
these carbon insoles are cheaper than buying a new pair of shoes :/ :rolleyes: I paid $45 canadian for mine.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
Don't remember the brand names, but you could also try an outdoors / mountaineering type store for orthotics / footbeds. You are looking for something stiff with arch support to slip into your shoes.

For your next shoes, if you are trying to keep costs down, you might check out touring type cycling shoes. They tend to look a bit like regular walking / hiking shoes, but with a narrower / stiffer sole. Some of them have a plug you can punch out if you want to run clipless.

Special K

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
CT by way of Beantown
stiksandstones said:
I have been riding for a long time...and every time my feet tingle-no matter what bike, what shoes. I must have something wired wrong in my body, but we all knew that.
The same thing happens to me all the time... My podiatrist says that the plantar faciitis - (the muscle on the bottom of your foot) gets very tight with any athletic activity and you need to stretch it by doing the classic calf stretch and rubbing your feet.Don't forget to ice.
Also, it might be as simple as tying your shoes to tight...

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
buildyourown said:
Get some good insoles. Superfeet are what I've got. You can get custom ones if you've got the bucks. Don't sweat the price. They will last thru 5 pairs of shoes.
I used to have custom ones becasue of bad feet (heels actually) so I had to get sustom insoles just for walking and such. $100, that was a lot but well worth it. Molded right to your foot.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Does anyone else get something that feels like arm pump, but in their feet? I was getting it last weekend at the bottom of a very rough, rocky track, and I swear it was exactly the same sensation as arm pump, but in my feet. It would always go away after a few minutes, just like arm pump too... one other guy said he had the same thing.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I get it in my shins, occasionally... but regularly (and sometimes involuntarily) varying my position on the pedals slightly is enough to help prevent it.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Rik said:
I get it in my shins, occasionally... but regularly (and sometimes involuntarily) varying my position on the pedals slightly is enough to help prevent it.
I think those are called 'shin splints'??? I get them if I go running too often. Feels like your shin bones are about to burst open.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
I think you get shin splints if you run on your heels... back in football I used to get them all the time cause I couldn't get over running on my heels.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Well. My Vasn Old schools are made out of cheese. Very comfortable.
I went to whistler and almost died
So I put in Superfeet.
It's a little better. I'm considering getting some of those skateboarders insoles.
S-One or something.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The backs of my heals, where my achilles attaches, is always sore after a ride. Anyone else have this happen?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Specialized Sawpit shoes are stiff. My friend has 'em and he seems to like them OK. They look too heavy for me, though.

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
Vans suck cuz they're as thin as a slice of bologna.
A couple of bad dabs and its bruised heels for sure.

I wear a pair of Merrel hiking shoes. They have a similar tread to the 5.10 shoes so they're pretty grippy and they won't kill your feet because they're designed to walk around in all day.