Quantcast

Does any company out there make Pit Stands to hold 6 to 8 bikes?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Does any company out there make Pit Stands like you see at the races or does each Team hand make thiers? I am talking about the A-Frame style stands that hold about 6 to 8 bikes at a time by thier Set.

Thanks,
Cecil

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
a lot of teams use the Minoura tri stands, they're relatively cheap and can easily hold the weight of 8 DH bikes. We've used them in the e13 pit for many years.

Ricky

e13 pit bitch.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Heavy duty PVC tubing. I built one years ago for $25 from Home Depot. You have to get heavy duty tubing due to the weight of DH bikes.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
doesnt this one use a proprietary pole and cant be used with a longer one?
It might, it used a middle pole that has the little push button things on it. I'm sure sure you'd want to make it much longer, the weight and the longer lever might be a bit much for it. You can jam 6-8 bikes on it pretty easy.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Last time I set one up, I used two saw horses and a long 2x4. Worked like a charm

That set up works but it is marginal. We have used that at several races over the past 2 years. You need to screw/bolt the backet to the cross 2x4 to prevent it from falling over. It will work at first but as the teeth dig into the 2x4 it will start to get wobbly.

I tried to build a metal pole version last year using tubing I had laying around. It was chain link fence tubing. The wall stock was too thin to support more that 3-4 bikes.

For 2009, we have one of the minora systems and I plan to make a version like Monkey was running int he GT pit. I'll post up pics if I can find them.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
That set up works but it is marginal. We have used that at several races over the past 2 years. You need to screw/bolt the backet to the cross 2x4 to prevent it from falling over. It will work at first but as the teeth dig into the 2x4 it will start to get wobbly.

I tried to build a metal pole version last year using tubing I had laying around. It was chain link fence tubing. The wall stock was too thin to support more that 3-4 bikes.

For 2009, we have one of the minora systems and I plan to make a version like Monkey was running int he GT pit. I'll post up pics if I can find them.

Try one with a rubber toothed head. Should be able to get them at Lowes or Home depot without any trouble. there should even be one that has a strut that comes up to attach to the 2x4 that your using as well for more stability

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
If you are even halfway mechanically inclined you should be able to make something out of Bosch or 80/20 Alu extrusions for pretty cheap that will look professional as opposed to PVC and be super durable.

I'd imagine $200 would be enough for extrusions, bracketry/pivoting brackets, hardware, and any other miscellaneous items like things for seat hooks.

ridenorcal

Chimp
Apr 28, 2008
Gnar-Cal
You can make a pretty good one using 2 portable bike stands and a metal bar. Just use the two stands to clamp the bar and you're good to go.