Quantcast

Does anybody know how to replace these bearings?

nopoles

Administrator
May 27, 2009
I have this older Dunlop bike trailer for my son, and the bearings for the wheels have gotten really loose. The wheels wobble quite significantly on the axles. I figured I'd take apart the axles to replace and tighten the bearings. However the bearings are unlike any wheel I've fixed before.

There are no nuts on the axle, only a C-clip and some washers, and the bearings seem to be enclosed and attached to the wheel, I can't seem to get the darn things off! Even if I did, I don't know where I'd get replacement bearings or if that's even possible. Has anybody seen these types of bearings before and have any tips on how to service them?

2012-09-25 09.49.34.jpg

2012-09-25 09.48.44.jpg

2012-09-25 09.49.09.jpg

Thanks!

nopoles

Administrator
May 27, 2009
Just to clarify, in that second picture the innermost ring turns freely on the bearings, and that is what is very loose. I can move the ring side to side and in and out by a few millimeters. But the ring doesn't seem like it would come off without taking off the outer ring as well, however it seems firmly attached to the hub.

wakk

Chimp
May 23, 2011
Did you manage? looking at i'm guessing that the outer cover would pop off using the open end of a crescent wrench, then you could use a blind pull to remove the bearing.... kinda hard to seee without other pictures tho...