Quantcast

does anybody NOT like 5.10's?

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
Seriously? I've never seen anybody post anything negative about this product... I usually just ignore web hype but I couldn't resist and finally ordered a pair... :busted:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Yes, some people do dislike 5.10's. Many long-time flat pedal riders are used to the ability to shift there feet on the pedals. 5.10's eliminate that ability. Guys who are making the transition from clips can also have difficulties with how much longer it takes (in my experience and the experience of others) to get your foot off a flat pedal w/ 5.10's v. simply unclipping.
If your pedals are grippy, you have to lift your feet off, and not slide off sideways like you would with traditional shoes or clips.

These sort of "problems" are easy enough to work around and get used to, but many people do not have the patience for that.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I found that it took me a while to get used to not being able to shift my feet much while riding. 5.10s + Aircorps is a sticky combo. I got used to it, though.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I love mine, but I do have an issue with the first gen that I own. It has been addressed on the newer models though.

My only complaint is the material they used tends to be a magnet for the mud. Here in the NW, obviously it rains....a lot. Mud is plentiful, and the material doesn't shed the mud very well. Like I said, it has been addressed with the newer models but it is a small issue for those that have them already.

I still love mine, but think I'll clean them up and use them during the summer this year and get the newer version for the winter months.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah they can be TOO grippy, that is it...I was annoyed with them when i first started using them with my Tioga MX's but once you get used to it you realize how sick they really are.

So where does everyone recomend purchasing these? My foot literally blew through the front of my old original pair (5 or so years old) while riding at diablo last fall, i had to ride around with blue duct tape on my foot :banghead:...

I really want a pair of black ones.

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
If you want the grippiest shoe possible get em, personally i dont use mine all the time because i find the ability to shift foot position more important than ultimate grip. I wear em on muddy days or when the urge hits though.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
For downhill they are perfect. As for riding djs/street/park/Ray's, they are way too grippy. I about blew an achilles because one stuck on the pedal when I overshot and tried to bail. Once you get used to getting your foot in the right spot when dh'ing they are perfect.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I've only ridden them for one day of DH (borrowed a friend's) so noticed the glued foot syndrome a few times. The good thing was though, even if my foot was in the wrong position (only half on the pedal or something) it still stayed put, so there was no worry of it slipping off.. I just kept riding until a flatter section where I could reposition.

I'm keen on buying a pair myself, just waiting for the new impact II's to come out. They look so cool!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I wasn't that impressed. I rode them back to back with skate shoes, and they were a bit grippier, but not so grippy I couldn't move my feet. I did like the stiff sole though, I felt like I could push the bike in corners more predictably.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
yeah they can be TOO grippy, that is it...I was annoyed with them when i first started using them with my Tioga MX's but once you get used to it you realize how sick they really are.

So where does everyone recomend purchasing these? My foot literally blew through the front of my old original pair (5 or so years old) while riding at diablo last fall, i had to ride around with blue duct tape on my foot :banghead:...

I really want a pair of black ones.
oh i remember that, you were getting onto the lift i was chillin with lenosky on the bottom and u just put out ur foot. that blows.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i bought mine at EMS on the way up to highland...best bit stop ever.

The shoes are super nice. Not being able to move your foot is an issue, but they're made so well and really are designed for biking. The sole is stiff but cushioned, with a toe cap and single sided tongue. It's protective, but not clown-like like skate shoes.

Once your foot is on, it's on, and you better thing ahead about adjusting it. That being said, I've rode some nasty stuff with my foot hanging off the pedal, being confident that it wouldn't slip off all the way.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I don't like that you can't get them resoled here in Australia anymore.
I also strongly blame them for my blown ACL from a crash where I was stompin real hard coming up to a jump and a fricken vine pulled the bike out to the side and pop,my foot stayed with the bike,while the rest of my leg followed my sorry arse straight ahead..

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I don't like that you can't get them resoled here in Australia anymore.
I also strongly blame them for my blown ACL from a crash where I was stompin real hard coming up to a jump and a fricken vine pulled the bike out to the side and pop,my foot stayed with the bike,while the rest of my leg followed my sorry arse straight ahead..
that sounds very American actually. . . . hook a vine while riding and blame the injury on your shoes. Sue em!:lighten:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
I love mine, but I do have an issue with the first gen that I own. It has been addressed on the newer models though.

My only complaint is the material they used tends to be a magnet for the mud. Here in the NW, obviously it rains....a lot. Mud is plentiful, and the material doesn't shed the mud very well. Like I said, it has been addressed with the newer models but it is a small issue for those that have them already.

I still love mine, but think I'll clean them up and use them during the summer this year and get the newer version for the winter months.
Maybe you should put some Nikwax on them. Ask at an out doors shop where they also sell the wax how the surface would look like.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Maybe you should put some Nikwax on them. Ask at an out doors shop where they also sell the wax how the surface would look like.
Hmmm that sounds interesting, has anyone tried that before? I've heard of Nikwax being used in jackets/pants does it work with porus materials like the 5 10 tops?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Nikwax makes a specific shoe product that does work. It doesn't make them waterproof, but it helps.

I am a flat pedal/5.10 convert. I can wear normal skate shoes for jumping, but I always got blown off while riding DH.

I have been non-stop clipless for at least 10 years now.
Flat pedals/5.10 have actually made me a better rider. Flat pedals force you to drop your heels which weights your pedals better which makes me corner faster.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
oh i remember that, you were getting onto the lift i was chillin with lenosky on the bottom and u just put out ur foot. that blows.
really, i didnt see Jeff there that day, i remember drooling over George Ryans bike though...

Yeah i was trying all day to keep my foot in my shoe, tough digs for my first day at diablo!

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
when they're new, they're to grippy for me riding park or DJs, so i use my old worn-flat set of 5-10s, then keep a fresh grippy pair for trail/DH use.
no complants here...

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
The only bad things Ive heard anyone say, I forget the site but one guy was saying he planted his foot in a crash, and because of the sticky rubber his foot planted and didnt move and his body twisted around it, injuring his knee or ankle or something. He wasnt sure if that was the reason, but that was his idea of what happened.

Not really sure that is a very good reason not to wear them, Ive ridden flats and 5.10s and they are a really fun combo. I still perfer clips personally, but it can be a fun setup.