Quantcast

Does anybody run FSA wheels?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've heard nothing but good things about them. I thought about getting them myself, but I'm pretty hard on my wheels and didn't think they would hold up. FWIW... I've seen a few companies put them on their XC bikes (Turner Flux comes to mind).

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
I've heard nothing but good things about them. I thought about getting them myself, but I'm pretty hard on my wheels and didn't think they would hold up. FWIW... I've seen a few companies put them on their XC bikes (Turner Flux comes to mind).
Thanks!!!

I would put these on my HT and I ride pretty smooth on that bike. I have had a set of 24 or less spoke count on that bike for 5yrs now and they are still in perfect condition. While on the flip side I've had to have both wheels on my MKIII trued 2x last year.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
yea... if I had a bike I was easier on, I'd get them in a second. I'm really impressed with the FSA stuff I've seen/used, so I have no reason to believe that their wheels will be anything less than solid.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Snacks said:
I have a set on my XC race bike (Tuner Burner). That are super ass light, but I have had to have them trued 3 times so far. I must be a little too hard core for them:rolleyes:
What type of bike are you running them on?

Indieboy, Thanks for the help!! Now I just have to come up with $300

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
stosh said:
What type of bike are you running them on?

Indieboy, Thanks for the help!! Now I just have to come up with $300
Hello!?!?!? In most previous post I said I'm running them on my Burner:rolleyes: Geez, dang East Coaster:p :)

You wanna em? I'll sell them to ya.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Snacks said:
Hello!?!?!? In most previous post I said I'm running them on my Burner:rolleyes: Geez, dang East Coaster:p :)

You wanna em? I'll sell them to ya.
It's funny, I re-read your post.. and I still asked the dumbest question ever... sorry... duh!!

I PM'ed you!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Stosh - if you plan on riding aggressively on your new hardtail - I would not get these wheels. 24 spoke count - they sound like XC race wheels to me. My guess is that you are looking for something more trail bike oriented. I'd look for a spoke count of 32 or so for the wheels you get for the Zion.

Just my two cents.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMcG said:
Stosh - if you plan on riding aggressively on your new hardtail - I would not get these wheels. 24 spoke count - they sound like XC race wheels to me. My guess is that you are looking for something more trail bike oriented. I'd look for a spoke count of 32 or so for the wheels you get for the Zion.

Just my two cents.
Nope, I was RUNNING 20spoke Rholff wheels and I didn't have a single problem.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
MMcG said:

Just my two cents.
28 spoke count, and yes I agree. These wheels are not for aggressive trail riding.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMcG said:
Let us know if you go with the FSAs, but I'd still look for a different option with a higher spoke count.
I don't really plan to do anything crazy with my HT. I'm running an 80mm fork on it so I always take it easy. I just like the HT's because they are lighter and I can climb way better than my MKIII.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
stosh said:
I don't really plan to do anything crazy with my HT. I'm running an 80mm fork on it so I always take it easy. I just like the HT's because they are lighter and I can climb way better than my MKIII.

How much do the FSA wheels weigh?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
1800 grams
wow... that seems like a lot for something that's pegged as an XC race wheelset. I think my onyx/DT combo isn't much mroe than that, and I've beaten the snot out of them (though I don't weigh as much as you :p ;) )

Oh, as an FYI... the Speedgoat site has a handy wheel builder tool... you punch in the rims/hubs/spokes you're interested in and it spits back to you the weight and price of the wheelset.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
I'm seriously considering the WTB's but Rob says their boat anchors on his bike.
I ran them on my old bike... WTB rims and hubs. A bit on the heavy side, but they held up great. Considering the direction you're going on this bike, they might be a bit more than you need. And why do you take Rob's opinion when he hasn't even ridden the bike yet?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
wow... that seems like a lot for something that's pegged as an XC race wheelset. I think my onyx/DT combo isn't much mroe than that, and I've beaten the snot out of them (though I don't weigh as much as you :p ;) )

Oh, as an FYI... the Speedgoat site has a handy wheel builder tool... you punch in the rims/hubs/spokes you're interested in and it spits back to you the weight and price of the wheelset.
Ok I'll keep looking unless Snacks give me a great price on them.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
I ran them on my old bike... WTB rims and hubs. A bit on the heavy side, but they held up great. Considering the direction you're going on this bike, they might be a bit more than you need. And why do you take Rob's opinion when he hasn't even ridden the bike yet?
They were on his old TREK.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMcG said:
I'd say weight is all a matter of who's considering the weight.

I highly doubt they are boat anchors.

Price sure is attractive if you are building the Zion up on a budget.
Agreed! Part of me is tempted to just run the Rolf wheelset with rim brakes.