SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
ok heres the situation
another one of my friends (DH66 on RM) got a ridgline
first car for him too, he went off-roading and bam, blew the engine
that was a good 4k to fix that was not covered by honda
that seem wierd considering its supposed to be off roadcapable since it has 4wd and has a locking diff.
Pray tell how offroading had anything to do with the engine blowing? :confused:
Case in point, my civic has more ground clearance that it does.
I don't believe you. Does your Civic have some sort of lift kit on it?

Its very versitile, decent gas mileage, actually pretty capable off road.
Your *Civic* is capable off road? What kind of nonsense are you talking about? :confused:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
You have much to learn about cars. Door thickness does not equal car safety, and hopefull when you take that Ridgeline offroad, it falls apart close enough to civilization that you don't have to resort to canableism to survice. Have fun!

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
maxyedor: and hopefull when you take that Ridgeline offroad, it falls apart close enough to civilization that you don't have to resort to canableism to survice.

Maybe he's thinking that little trunk in the bed of the Ridgeline could be used as an ice chest that he could store the chopped up bodies of the chicks he dates in.

problem solved...he will just eat the chicks in the trunk?

You have much to learn about cars. Door thickness does not equal car safety, and hopefull when you take that Ridgeline offroad, it falls apart close enough to civilization that you don't have to resort to canableism to survice. Have fun!
Do you honestly think that the BMW would be very safe in any sort of crash. The trunk it tiny. it has two airbags. no door air bags. I would not feel safe driving getting into any sort of accident with that thing, and it light, so it would just fly. BTW, im sure I could do anything i really wanted to do offroad in the ridgeline. I have offroaded our ML430, and havent had any trouble, the cleanence is about the same, sans the low range....

And you an idiot to think your civic is more capable offroad, maybe you need to pul your head out of your ass

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Do you honestly think that the BMW would be very safe in any sort of crash. The trunk it tiny. it has two airbags. no door air bags. I would not feel safe driving getting into any sort of accident with that thing, and it light, so it would just fly. BTW, im sure I could do anything i really wanted to do offroad in the ridgeline. I have offroaded our ML430, and havent had any trouble, the cleanence is about the same, sans the low range....

And you an idiot to think your civic is more capable offroad, maybe you need to pul your head out of your ass

Jesus christ you guys can't read, I said my civic had higher ground clearence then the ridgeline does, and when I said groundclearence I mean the distance between the lower control arms on the ridgeline and the groud compared to the gap from my rear bumber to the ground. Offroad capable? was talking about the ridgeline, c'mon now really, think, would a truck be more or less capable then a civic its common sense, More capable, no $hit.:shocked:

Pray tell how offroading had anything to do with the engine blowing? :confused:

I don't believe you. Does your Civic have some sort of lift kit on it?

Your *Civic* is capable off road? What kind of nonsense are you talking about? :confused:
engine blowing while offroading? whenever else are you going to be spinning your tires and your engine to 5,000 rpm to get out of a mudhole? and not moving anywhere? in this case your engine is not getting much airflow, and is being put under a lot more stress then normal driving conditions would put it under, inturn stressing it, and causing failure to some internal components

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
engine blowing while offroading? whenever else are you going to be spinning your tires and your engine to 5,000 rpm to get out of a mudhole?
I bet some dumba$$ has done the same thing trying to get out of a snowbank. :rolleyes: Who blows up their car in a mudhole? Just call a tow truck for God's sake.

Jesus christ you guys can't read, I said my civic had higher ground clearence then the ridgeline does, and when I said groundclearence I mean the distance between the lower control arms on the ridgeline and the groud compared to the gap from my rear bumber to the ground. Offroad capable? was talking about the ridgeline, c'mon now really, think, would a truck be more or less capable then a civic its common sense, More capable, no $hit.:shocked:
Wow. Your communication skills are abysmal... :think:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

so now you've got an ML430 and BMW Z3 in the (likely 3 car) garage and you're still not really that rich?

:twitch:

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah... but anyone with 1/4 of a functioning melon would know that revving to 5000rpms isn't going to get you out of anything. :think:
yea, when the motor is blown the person who is offroading more than likely does not know what there doing, but spinning up to 5k to get out, it happens and it can get you out of some hairy situations

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Why does everyone pick on the kids that say their folks will buy them a nice car? It's their business.

I wouldn't get a ridgeline, but that's just because Honda's attempt at a truck with this thing is half assed at best.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
how do prerunner tacos compare to this?

For people who actually know?
Ah now your thinking rationaly. The Taco has better..

-Load carrying
-Towing
-Ground clearance
-Stronger axels, even if the Ridgeline has a locker, get it locked with one wheel in the air, then it hits the ground hard, snap goes your axel and probably the rear diff too, possibly a driveshaft wich can lead to the tranny.
- You can RhinoLine the bed much esier
-Low range
-Toyota reliability
-A real truck meant for doing real truck things, not a station wagon that looks like a truck that's meant for doing Soccer Mom things

You seem pretty dead set on getting a truck, so you may as well get the Taco. If a stock ML on street tires was fine for the "offroading" you are going to be doing, then a) that's a fire road at best, not a real offroad trail, and b) Just about anything short of a sports car should be fine for getting down those trails.

Car size and number of airbags have very little to do with car safety. The Z3 has a pretty decent roll bar, much better than most things on the market. Those doors may be thin, but if hit from the side they are going to protect you a heck or a lot better than a Taco would as they have pretty decent side-beams. Weight is a non issue, if hit by a large truck it will be pushed and lessen the brunt force of the hit, a heavier car would be pushed less and take a larger amount of force from the impact. Even more important, you are less likely to lose control if you have to swerve, the brakes are better so if somebody stops short infront of you, you probably won't rear-end them. Despite what everybody in SoCal thinks the sfaest car on the road is not just the biggest.

But it's your car buy whatever the hell you want, and if you hit something in the first 6 months of ownership I want you to sell it and promise to ride the bus for the rest of your live.

Ah now your thinking rationaly. The Taco has better..

-Load carrying
-Towing
-Ground clearance
-Stronger axels, even if the Ridgeline has a locker, get it locked with one wheel in the air, then it hits the ground hard, snap goes your axel and probably the rear diff too, possibly a driveshaft wich can lead to the tranny.
- You can RhinoLine the bed much esier
-Low range
-Toyota reliability
-A real truck meant for doing real truck things, not a station wagon that looks like a truck that's meant for doing Soccer Mom things

You seem pretty dead set on getting a truck, so you may as well get the Taco. If a stock ML on street tires was fine for the "offroading" you are going to be doing, then a) that's a fire road at best, not a real offroad trail, and b) Just about anything short of a sports car should be fine for getting down those trails.

Car size and number of airbags have very little to do with car safety. The Z3 has a pretty decent roll bar, much better than most things on the market. Those doors may be thin, but if hit from the side they are going to protect you a heck or a lot better than a Taco would as they have pretty decent side-beams. Weight is a non issue, if hit by a large truck it will be pushed and lessen the brunt force of the hit, a heavier car would be pushed less and take a larger amount of force from the impact. Even more important, you are less likely to lose control if you have to swerve, the brakes are better so if somebody stops short infront of you, you probably won't rear-end them. Despite what everybody in SoCal thinks the sfaest car on the road is not just the biggest.

But it's your car buy whatever the hell you want, and if you hit something in the first 6 months of ownership I want you to sell it and promise to ride the bus for the rest of your live.
well anyways, you would be suprised what we can do in the ML, we have gone throught do big streams, and big rocks, we were following a group of jeeps in Death Valley. We even went up pleasant canyon, they had it on 4x4 TV, look it up, it suprising how capable it is. Also, are you sure the Taco has lowrange?

like this

And, the Z3 has no roll bar, and why would you want to Rhinoline a taco, they dont need a bedliner, its part of the truck, no metal underneath

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
I was just cruising around in My buddies Taco today going to the beach and it had lowrange, it has the TRD package so mabye it's an option, but I know it's available.

Not doubting that the ML does O.K. offroad, it's just not all that great. There are a lot of trucks that do O.K. on mild fire-roads, but there is a huge difference between they can do and what I would consider a true offroad trail. If trails like the one in the picture are what your going to be doing then you should be fine with just about anything, the limiting factor will be traction, 4WD helps, but so will a good traction control system.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
well anyways, you would be suprised what we can do in the ML, we have gone throught do big streams, and big rocks, we were following a group of jeeps in Death Valley. We even went up pleasant canyon, they had it on 4x4 TV, look it up, it suprising how capable it is. Also, are you sure the Taco has lowrange?

like this

And, the Z3 has no roll bar, and why would you want to Rhinoline a taco, they dont need a bedliner, its part of the truck, no metal underneath

This road reminds me of the time we got lost going to a DH race up by Ottawa. We ended up on a snowmobile trail that was rougher than that picture looks at 2 am in a Honda Odyssey. Did about 4 k on it till we came across a downslope with a drop about 2 ft. Had to do a numerous point turn to head back. But until then, there was no problems with clearance. Point is, you’d be better off in something like the odyssey, that fits 4 guys, 4 bikes (with wheels off), gear and what-have-you, in leather luxury, all inside. Only downside is the stock stereo although one major advantage is the ample room for large Stickers! I’m considering buying it when it goes off lease, and couldn’t care less about how ‘manly’ a vehicle is supposed to make me. Especialy when its service is for road trips.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Since you are convinced that the Z3 is a "deathtrap" you need one of these:

You just gotta play the angle that momma's little baby won't be safe in anything smaller...something smaller places your life in mortal danger.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
That's kind of what I was thinking. If we got a truck stuck in a mudhole we either pulled it out with a hand puller & a tree, someone else's truck, or we called a wrecker. :think:
A) Do you go offroading?
B) Wreckers will not go off the road, most times onto private property to pull you out. And I was not the one who blew my motor getting out, the other kid did, so idk the situation. I was merely commenting that the ridgline's engine sucked. Since it blew up when it had less than 10k on it.