Quantcast

Does anyone still make a quality 29", 135 mm qr wheel?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Basically, thread title. I've been running first generation i9s on my 2014 hardtail since I bought it. I rebuilt the wheel a year or so back but finding first generation i9s spokes turned out to be kind of like finding Sasquatch. Local shop managed to get me some direct from Industry but even they said they had a hard time finding enough spokes to rebuild the wheel. I just broke a spoke re-truing the wheel after putting a pretty good wobble in it last weekend. I guess I'm looking for new wheels at this point since spokes basically don't exist for it anymore, but the lizards have invoked at least 5 new standards since I bought this bike. I've just started looking for a good replacement but so far all I've found is basically Walmart brand/super cheap type of replacements. It seems like a quality, tubeless ready, replacement no longer exists for such an ancient standard. I really like my hatdtail, I'd hate to have to put it out to pasture because I can't find a half decent wheel. Any one have any leads or suggestions?

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
XT hubs are at least still available for you to build up. I would try to track down a used King hub and build a new wheel around it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My HT is 135 QR rear dropout that i use with 10mm thru bolt, wife's HT is 142 TA. Earlier this year I picked up two sets of DT Swiss 240 hubbed 100/142 wheelsets for super cheap. I just had to get the different end caps that I needed, QR would be an option. They're only 22.5mm internal, but that's wider than my original Arch and her then Arch EX rims that we had previously.

I recommend you hunt for similar, when I'm at my computer I'll check where I got them from.

edit: the pros closet, I paid $340 per set of DT Swiss XR 1501's, which is not bad given they were ~$1200 retail when released.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Well now. That's tempting. Yours, or just a random find?
Random, happy to inspect and collect if desired.

I "might" have some QR HG endcaps, not sure. I know I have a pile of 142's :p

edit: I'd recommend going to a 10mm thru-bolt like I listed above though.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I'd recommend going to a 10mm thru-bolt like I listed above though.
Yeah, I guess I need to look into that. As I understand it, it's claimed those will fit the old school drop out types, likes so:

But I either misunderstand that or need to verify.

Edit: frames I mean, obviously not the wheel.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah, I guess I need to look into that. As I understand it, it's claimed those will fit the old school drop out types, likes so:

But I either misunderstand that or need to verify.

Edit: frames I mean, obviously not the wheel.
Presuming it's the HG freehub you'd be using, not an XD.

You'd buy some endcaps like these, part # HWGXXX0001803S

And the thru-bolt like I listed:

Then you end up with a much better solution than a classic QR IMHO

That's exactly what I have on my 135QR hardtail (except I use XD freehub and endcap), in lieu of a classic QR. The dropout holds the 10mm bolt whereas normally a QR hub just has the 10mm shoulder.

(performancebike was just the first hit that listed those parts)

Last edited: