Quantcast

Does Canada hate American drunks?

CrashMaster

Chimp
Mar 22, 2006
I got busted for drinking and driving in 03. Am I gonna be able to ride my bike at Whistler? My drivers license has a little * under restrictions and on the back next to the * it says "Probationary." They're gonna turn me away at the border, huh?

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
If you are the driver when you cross the boarder, good luck. From what I have heard, if you are "fortunate", you will only have to cough up some "insurance" money when you enter CA.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
If you have a dui on recoard they wont let you cross the boarder for 7 years, it does not matter if your the driver or not. You could try, just be prepared to be denied.

killowatt

Chimp
May 16, 2005
Rainier, Oregon
Some poeple get in ok. But as I understood it last year, was they would make you pay a bond. If you didn't get in trouble you would get your $ back on the way home. Bottom line is, They can turn you away because they don't like the way you look.:mad:

Mar 1, 2006
bonney lake
vibiker said:
Two of the cases that I know of, officials will let you through, for a price.:rolleyes:.
yeah, i was in a car with someone who will go unnamed in order to preserve their dignity ; p that had been popped for dui 2 years previous to the trip to canada. they found out about it and told us we couldnt cross. with hotel accomodations and a few days off from work on the line, i started talking with the woman inside at one of the desks and found out that for $250 cad. you can purchase a temp. residency that can extend up to 8 months i think. this will let you cross pretty much hassle free for as long as its valid. after like 4 years or so you can fill out some form that says you are a rehabilitated criminal and you'll be once again free to cross with a birth certificate and id. if its not clearly marked on your license that you got caught though, just dont mention anything and usually you'll be in in a few seconds = ]

-good luck

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
I have never had a DUI, so I cant comment on that, however I have crossed into Canada coming from Seattle, about 70 times in the last 3 years, and had to show ID about 10 of those times. The questions are 90% the same everytime....for me anyway.

If you don't act like an idiot, and answer the questions with a straight face, and look the officer in the eye, and know your stuff, they will most likely leave you alone...however never a guarantee. I cant remember the last time I got asked for ID during off-peak times. Also, if you are in the back seat, its good to have your window down, so the officer can see you, and dont be wearing shades.

The questions you will probably get are...

Where do you live?
What are you doing in Canada?
How long are you staying?
Do you have accomodation booked?
Are you bringing any tobacco or fire-arms into the country?

Once again, dont take my word for it. Everybody is different, and the next 10 times I cross, I might get asked everytime. And they will ask for everybodys ID, not just the driver.

Answer the questions confidently, no umms or errs and know where you are staying. Thats key!

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Netguy said:
I have never had a DUI, so I cant comment on that, however I have crossed into Canada coming from Seattle, about 70 times in the last 3 years, and had to show ID about 10 of those times. The questions are 90% the same everytime....for me anyway.

If you don't act like an idiot, and answer the questions with a straight face, and look the officer in the eye, and know your stuff, they will most likely leave you alone...however never a guarantee. I cant remember the last time I got asked for ID during off-peak times. Also, if you are in the back seat, its good to have your window down, so the officer can see you, and dont be wearing shades.

The questions you will probably get are...

Where do you live?
What are you doing in Canada?
How long are you staying?
Do you have accomodation booked?
Are you bringing any tobacco or fire-arms into the country?

Once again, dont take my word for it. Everybody is different, and the next 10 times I cross, I might get asked everytime. And they will ask for everybodys ID, not just the driver.

Answer the questions confidently, no umms or errs and know where you are staying. Thats key!
Exactly. My dad lives in Michigan, and I've been back and forth the border more times than I can count in my lifetime, and I can't recall EVER having to show ID. If you're calm and respectful you should be fine...they smell fear.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Ridemonkey said:
Exactly. My dad lives in Michigan, and I've been back and forth the border more times than I can count in my lifetime, and I can't recall EVER having to show ID. If you're calm and respectful you should be fine...they smell fear.
Funnily enough, a couple of years back when Acadian came up to ride Whistler, we got searched at the border. Two canadians, with green cards, crossing into Canada (and we both know HOW to act with the border guards), and we get searched.

One of the guards examined our cans of Red Bull veeerrrrrry closely.

Good times....good times....

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Yep, it can be trouble. A few years ago a guy who lived near Anchorage drove thru Can. to the states on vacation, and got in ok. But on the return trip they checked more closely and wouldn't allow him in, due to a previous dui. He had to ferry his car and self all the way back to AK. He lived right near the highway and erected a billboard in his front yard that was, how shall I say- not complimentary to Cananda.

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
MMike said:
Yeah.....it's Canada's fault....:rolleyes:
Well, they should make the policy clear at the border- you have to admit it would suck to be allowed in because they didn't check DL and then not be allowed to come back through. I wonder what would happen if you had a previous DUI and they didn't check your license and let you in, but you got pulled over later for speeding or something?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
While backpacking in Glacier NP we had to hike 2 miles up the road into Canada then take a Ferry back into the US. Trying to walk across the border was horrendous. They searched our packs and interviewed everyone in our group for a good 45 minutes each. All of their questions were about our financial history. No questions about criminal past, why we were going into Canada. They asked about CC debt, mortgage rates etc. Very weird.

Jun 18, 2004
Westy said:
While backpacking in Glacier NP ...They searched our packs...interviewed everyone... No questions about criminal past, why we were going into Canada. They asked about CC debt, mortgage rates etc...
maybe they thought you wanted to live as illegals...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Str8OutaBallard said:
maybe they thought you wanted to live as illegals...
I don't think we fit the bill. It was the only guarded crossing for a few hundred miles, we could have easily walked over through the woods. I crossed the border so many times with 0 problems I didn't think it would be an issue. Illegals usually aren't kitted out in expensive back country gear either.

Neal

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
I cross the border a ton and the simple rule is to answer a guard's questions with the least amount of info required.

Let's role play:

Q. Are you carrying any drugs?
A. No [even if you have a bale of weed, don't tempt them]

Q. What is the purpose of your visit?
A. I'm going for a bike ride.

Q. Do you have any firearms?
A. No

Q. You're kind of hot: care for a strip search?
A. No

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Last year some guys from ny flew over to seattle and drove up with my some friends of mine. 2 of them were not let in for some reason and they had to bus back to Seattle and fly back to ny early. Mean while there friends stayed in whistler for 10 days and most of crankworx :0.

Aug 21, 2003
Bellingham, WA
Request a cavity search every time you cross.
They should just send you quickly on your way nearly every time. Occasionally you may hear them muttering "Weirdo" under their breath, but it's OK.
On the rare instance that they take you up on your request, well, I guess that's the price you have to pay to get in.
Whistler's worth a couple of fingers to the colon, isn't it?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
fuzzycatnuts said:
If you have a dui on recoard they wont let you cross the boarder for 7 years, it does not matter if your the driver or not. You could try, just be prepared to be denied.
Legally, this should happen. I know of several people who got turned away because of a dui on their record.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
MMike said:
Good times....good times....
:thumb: yep! yep!

and you forgot to mention that they didn't ask for our ID when we re-entered the country!?!? All they asked
Officer: “where are you going?”
MMike says:”Seattle!”
Officer: “why are you going there?”
MMike: “I live there”
Officer: “have a great day”

LOL

L

luelling

At the last company I worked we had a high up VP get nailed with a DUI and it was a REALLY big deal. He was the marketing director for north america and it requried him to make regular visits to Canada and when he was busted he was waaaaaaay over the limit (It was in Oregon and I'm not sure how I law reads....I think a certain amount over the limit is a larger penalty). Talk about sucking....you get nailed in your off time drinking, which sucks in the first place, and then you risk losing your 3/4 million dollar a year job.

L

luelling

Moral...we should all quit drinking and being assholes by driving while we are drunk. I've done it too many times and get pissed at myself the next day if I even stepped foot in a car. Funny thing though is that I ride my cyclocross bike to buy beer when I'm drunk and I guess I could techinically get a DUI doing that (I think the cop would have to be a dick though).

**Forgot to mention...a couple of nights ago my lady and I were drunk and rode our bikes to the store. It was kinda funny...I was on my DH bike and I actually bit it into a curb on the way home becuase I was drunk and I couldn't steer very well.......obviously I needed more alcohol!! (Yes I'm a jack ass drinker)

CrashMaster

Chimp
Mar 22, 2006
I thought the day I spent in jail was the worst consequence for drinking and driving. Not getting to go to Wistler is way worse. I am anti Canada from here on out. F Canada. Or should I be anti here since the mountin bike mecca is another country? F here. I am anti everything. If any one needs me this summer, I'll be at 200th doing hundreds of 10 second runs on the same seven jumps. I am stoked.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
CrashMaster said:
I thought the day I spent in jail was the worst consequence for drinking and driving. Not getting to go to Wistler is way worse. I am anti Canada from here on out. F Canada. Or should I be anti here since the mountin bike mecca is another country? F here. I am anti everything. If any one needs me this summer, I'll be at 200th doing hundreds of 10 second runs on the same seven jumps. I am stoked.
again, how is this canada's fault?

:nopity:

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Talkingmonkey said:
well, I guess that's the price you have to pay to get in.
Whistler's worth a couple of fingers to the colon, isn't it?
:rofl: Uhh, I dont know what you're talking about. Usually I have to pay somebody else for that kind of party.