Quantcast

does WV count here?

xcmudgirl

Chimp
Mar 11, 2008
upstate NY
I'm planning a trip to WV for some mountain biking. I have a few places in mind, but am looking for more recommendations. I am an intermediate biker with a Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail, looking for some flowing XC singletrack. I don't really do drops or super technical stuff, but some is okay.

I have 8 days (including driving from NY) and am willing to spend a few days at one place and drive to another if it's fairly close (within 2 hours).

What are you recommendations??
Thanks!!

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
big bear campground in WV. it's only about 15 minutes off of route 68, exit 29 I believe. buffed out flowy xc that isn't technical.

I don't know how many people there might be from the WV area who check this forum, some might still be going to the VA and surrounding areas, since our forum is still fairly new.

I agree with paul...big bear is very nice. Blackwater is Davis, WV is also really nice. And the town or Davis would be a cheap, quaint (sp?) place to stay. They have good beer, great pizza, and a knowledgable bike shop with interesting staff. And if you heading town 70 towards Washingtown DC, there is Gambrill State park and Frederick Watershed.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
I agree with paul...big bear is very nice. Blackwater is Davis, WV is also really nice. And the town or Davis would be a cheap, quaint (sp?) place to stay. They have good beer, great pizza, and a knowledgable bike shop with interesting staff. And if you heading town 70 towards Washingtown DC, there is Gambrill State park and Frederick Watershed.
Gambrill and the shed are quite an experience. definitely try to check it out.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
I'm not sure where in WV is the best but very close to WV are three options.

I'd recommend Sherando, VA. And closer to DC I'd recommend Elizabeth Furnace, also in VA but very very close to WV. Both are epic.

Perhaps the best XC track I've ridden in VA/WV is Confederate Breastworks trail down to Braley Pond. The trailhead is on the VA/WV border, a long ridgeline.

I hear Dolly Sodds is a good place in WV but I've never been there.

nmr8

Monkey
Apr 6, 2007
fayetteville's got some miles of nice singletrack, i'd call adam at marathon (304 342 6600) for recommendations.

01tj

Chimp
Oct 28, 2007
Fairmont WV
If you decide to stay in the Morgantown area Valley Falls state park is 20-30 minutes away and has some nice trails. There are annual races there although there were a few years that they stopped racing because they felt it was not profitable enough. The races are back and the trails are as good as ever.

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
This is the report from a trip i did there last year. So much fun. There was this one trail I did called Plantation (I think). Long climb to the top of WV's highest peak, but then like 12 miles of downhill. All of these trails are fairly rocky. I rode the Snowshoe XC course in the rain. Technical and full of moss and wet rocks, but very very very fun.

Day 1 Blackwater Falls State Park (Davis WV). Bike Dobbin House.
Day 2. Bike - Donation Trail.
Day 3. Bike - Spruce Knob.
Day 4. Drive to Snow Shoe Mountain and bike XC trails.
Day 5. Catch a trail along Rt. 68 before heading home.

All of these trails are no longer than a 1 1/2 drive from Blackwater State Park.

Last edited:

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
This is the report from a trip i did there last year. So much fun. There was this one trail I did called Plantation (I think). Long climb to the top of WV's highest peak, but then like 12 miles of downhill. All of these trails are fairly rocky. I rode the Snowshoe XC course in the rain. Technical and full of moss and wet rocks, but very very very fun.

All of these trails are no longer than a 1 1/2 drive from Blackwater State Park.
The XC trails at Snowshoe are largely gone now. I would not recommend going there for XC riding.

stoneysnake

Monkey
May 24, 2002
easy living, wv
the last statement is not true. in fact, this week a crew of 12 will be working on xc trails such as upper/lower beaver dam, aheadset adjustment, point of no return, shavers fork trail, bail out, corduroy road, and enchanted forest to name a few. we would love to be your host to some of the best mtb trails in the region.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
the last statement is not true. in fact, this week a crew of 12 will be working on xc trails such as upper/lower beaver dam, aheadset adjustment, point of no return, shavers fork trail, bail out, corduroy road, and enchanted forest to name a few. we would love to be your host to some of the best mtb trails in the region.
That's good to hear Brad. That was not the impression I received opening weekend.

I retract my previous statement. Thanks for the hard work.

beachbum

Chimp
Feb 19, 2007
coastal nc
the snowshoe "signature" trails, can't wait to ride some of that next time up.

they are also located right next to the camping area at snowshoe.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Why's that? Didn't they used to have over 100 miles of XC there?
It was just the impression I got on opening weekend. I now have it on good authority that the Silvercreek trails are open and rideable. Just Poo's Plateau is closed for logging.

Sorry for the mistake.

Repoman

Chimp

Where is the "Donation Trail"?

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Why's that? Didn't they used to have over 100 miles of XC there?
Most likely due to the way vegetation overgrows things quickly and trees like to get blown down around here.

From what I see WV's trails can be high maintenance if they are forgotten by cyclists or found by Dirt Bikers and ATV's