Quantcast

Dog attack... :-(

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Hey guys... I'm calling in some help from the local MTB community in the San Jose area, specifically downtown.

Below is my posting I put up on Craigslist, Yelp, and a few other places. I'm sure the lady who owns this dog is local, because you do not come in from outside of San Jose to go to this crappy dust-bowl of a dog park.

Thanks in advance for your help, guys. Just keep your eyes open and if you know of anything PM me on Ridemonkey, MTBR,, or shoot me an email at pleasehelpmydog@yahoo.com.

On the bright side Orly, our 4 month old 1/2 Choc. Lab 1/2 Chesapeake Bay Retriever is in good condition. No major injuries. Just some puncture wounds on his legs and stomach. ER Vet doctor said he'd be just fine. He's a resilient little doggy, and he'll heal up just fine.

-Mike

-------------------

At approximately 6:15 PM today, August 11th, my 4 month old puppy was attacked by another dog at a dog park.

Date of incident: 8/11/2009
Time of incident: 6:15pm
Location: Dog park on Ryland Street and North San Pedro under the Coleman/North Market Street overpass in downtown San Jose.
Dog description: White and light brown large breed of pitbull, approximately 80-90lbs. in weight.
Owner description: Caucasian or light skinned Hispanic woman, approximately 5'6"-5'7", 190-210lbs with wavy sandy blond or brunette hair wearing a white or off white shirt.

This is NOT a attack on pitbulls or a dig at their breed. In fact, I love AmStafs and Pitbulls. But this one in particular, like any uncontrollable and dangerous dog, was not under the control of it's owner. This dog viciously bit and injured my dog, lightly grazed my hand with its teeth, and while biting my dog refused to let go despite attempting to push, hit, and grab it off. My dog did not in anyway antagonize this pitbull. The pitbull, nearly three times the size of my dog, simply wandered past three other dogs and laid into my dog completely unprovoked.

I fear that another dog/puppy, or even a child or adult could be attacked by this dog, and I believe something needs to be done.

Like any good parent, due to the fact that my dog was bleeding from his left rear leg and limping, I picked him up and ran home with him. I happened to be out jogging at the time and did not get the other dog owner's phone number, name, or any contact information. I did not have my phone, my car keys, paper, a pen, or anything with me at the time. Not that that would have mattered. Hearing my dog cry and shriek under the other dogs bite and seeing the blood was all I needed to know to pick up my poor little pooch and sprint home, get in my car, and take him to the ER vet.

I am asking for your help. If you live near the dog park and saw something, or know this person, please contact me. The medical bills were very expensive and this person and their uncontrollable dog is responsible. There was also another dog owner in the park at this time, and I hope that she will do the right thing and man up, and contact me with information. The owner of this Pitbull and the other lady were with four dogs total: The pitbull that attacked Orly, a large white Akita or other similar looking dog, a small black Papillon, and another dog that was small, approximately 10-15lbs, black and grey in color.

ANY information can help!

----------------------

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Wow sorry to hear about that Mike. Glad you and the pup made it out ok. I hope this person is found.

Keep going to the park and they will eventually show up again...

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
Hows the pup doin Mike?This happened to Turner when he was like 3 months old as well, not as bad though, most dog owners out there are just not too responsible.I actually carry pepper spray with me when I take Turner for rides at nite cause there is almost always some dumbsh1t with thier dog off leash.When Orly gets better he should come play with Turner, my dog wears everyones dog out(part border collie,lab)so the only dogs that can hang are young active breeds like Orly.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Thanks guys. Orly is fine. He was passed out so hardcore last night from all the drugs. I've still got the clean some of the blood out of my truck, as well as get the slight poopy smell out (he was so drugged up he pooped in my truck when I picked him up. :().

Toddy, I'll let you know as soon as he's all healed up. I think a few weeks and he'll be 100%, but he's already like 98% better. He ran after a toy today and slid himself right into a wall.

Big dumb dogs are the best kind, IMHO.

esper

Chimp
Jun 30, 2008
Campbell CA
i'll keep my look out for the lady, i am in san jose and visit different parks regularly so i'll keep an eye out. I can easily see this owner taking her dogs to the park off of the los gatos creek trail on San Thomas/17. It seems to attract many bad dog owners.

esper

Chimp
Jun 30, 2008
Campbell CA
we should all meet up at a dog park in the area, maybe the little pit bull wont be so brave against a pack of dogs next time.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
That sucks, In our area it's the same thing on dog requirements. I know at our dog parks they have one for small dogs and another for the larger ones. Glad to hear your dog is doing well.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Thanks, Brian.

Esper, the dog park off of Campbell has always led to good experiences for my wife and I. But the dog park under the bridge in downtown San Jose TRULY attracts some shifty characters. Sad, but true.

On a bright note, I got an email this morning from someone who says that they were in the dog park when my dog was attacked and can verify my story. Hopefully she'll call and can help me out. I also got a message on Craigslist (they said that their email was down) from someone who lives in that neighborhood who has seen two dogs matching the description of the one that attacked Orly.

It's good to know that there are good people left who are willing to help someone.

esper

Chimp
Jun 30, 2008
Campbell CA
glad you have good experiences in the park in campbell, maybe it depends on the times you go, because there always seems to be one dog biting others when im there. If you ever see a male Doberman with one floppy ear named Hades, thats mine. He lives down the street from me with my mom now because my son is allergic to him, so he may be with someone other than me.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Sounds good, man. I'll keep an eye posted for him.

I'm a little iffy on taking Orly to any dog park again for a while. He hasn't been around another big dog since the attack, so I'm not too sure who he is going to react.

esper

Chimp
Jun 30, 2008
Campbell CA
thats understandable. I use to rescue dogs and when i was bit in the face by a large dog i was nervous around them for years, i finally bought a really well bred Doberman, not just to watch over my house, wife and kids while im away, but to help me get over my fear.

If you want to see how yours acts around a big dog let me know, i can bring mine over or we can meet up somewhere, he is extremely gentle and well behaved, wouldnt hurt a fly.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I'll definitely let you know, man. He's pretty well behave. Just normal puppy antics. I'm going to give him another week or two before I bring him around any unfamiliar dogs. :)