Quantcast

dog owners...

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I Are Baboon said:
We feed our pup Innova Evo. It's expensive...like $50 for the biggest bag. The first two ingredients are chicken and turkey.
On the food front . . . we have always used Innova with our black lab since day one (six years ago). It is more expensive but you can feed your dog less of it compared to supermarket brands. Our vet always comments on our dog's healthy coat and teeth and I swear that it's attributed to the food.:)

toby

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Wait until you can be home! We have 2 lab-mixes we got about 6 months apart. Neither were house-trained very well, and we got each when they were about 5 and 7 months old. It's so much better for you and for the pups when you can be home with them. The majority of IDIOTS don't realize the bond a dog is capable of and leave them home alone too much and too often. ****ing PEOPLE can be IDIOTS.

AND I HATE ASSHOLES THAT LEAVE DOGS OUTSIDE ALONE AND/OR TIED UP ALL DAY. If you're one of them, one of these days, someone like me will discover you - I PROMISE.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
I Are Baboon said:
Heh heh.....our cats don't try to get away. They want to be friends with the dog. We had to teach the dog that the cats are not a snack. It's worked too well because now the dog won't go near the cats out of fear of being yelled at.

A greyhound has a bit different temperament than a pitbull. A pitbull thinks "CAT. EAT." A greyhound thinks "Kitty...looks yummy...but I don't want to get yelled at."
We didn't have to train our two greyhounds not to eat the cat, the cat took care of that on his own. It got to the point when our little grey wouldn't even look at the cat in the eyes for fear of getting swiped.

Birds, squirrels and rabbits are a different story altogether. I even met a guy in REI back in Baltimore who had a 110lb grey with him who he claims took down a deer. I would have paid good money to see that.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Buck Fever said:
We didn't have to train our two greyhounds not to eat the cat, the cat took care of that on his own. It got to the point when our little grey wouldn't even look at the cat in the eyes for fear of getting swiped.
You're lucky to have kitties with attitudes. Our cats roll over onto their backs and surrender when the dog gets close. Freakin' cats. Our grey is a WIMP, and one swipe from one of the cats would send her yelping to her bed.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
If my wife went out and got a puppy while she and I were still in discussions and I wanted to wait I would be pretty upset. Not so much over the fact that she got a puppy but that fact that she totally disregarded my feelings on the matter.

Dogs are great. I can't wait to get one, but I think going out to get one while knowing that your wife wants to wait will only get you in trouble.

Just my thoughts... your milage may vary.

Velocity Girl said:
Most of the best behaved and well trained dogs are crate trained. Has nothing to do with not being able to train your dog. Seperately I would trust ours to be left alone in the house but together I can't leave them uncrated because I don't want to come home to one of them hurt because they started playing and rough-housing. They start running around and could accidentally hit the coffee table, the corner of a wall, slide on the hardwood floors into a wall, or have one of them wind up with a broken leg.
I swear - only greyhound/whippet/italian greyhound people understand this. :)

In addition to the accidental mishap a dog fight can happen in an instant over a toy between any dogs. We saw this first hand last weekend between a lab puppy and a Jack Russell terrier. It was scary. Luckily, there was no MAJOR bloodshed - but there were marks.

If we get a second, he/she will be crated while our alpha girl has the run of the place.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
It seems like there are different degrees of crating- My friends breeder said only to do it when you can't keep an eye on it. As it is, the thing is either playing or sleeping so it isn't really an issue. Its almost completely trained with almost no effort. The beggest obstacle was the pup learning the layout of the house after spending its first 7 weeks in a pen. Fortunately his job is dog-friendly and he lives close enough to go home ofr lunch with Dixie.

Meet Dixie:

Attachments