Quantcast

Doggy Dental?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Just got back from taking dog#1 to the vet. 300 bucks later I have official confirmation that Dog#1 is old and 80 bucks worth of doggy pain killers and chewable Glucosamine. :think: I really like our vet, but the last couple times I've been in there with either of the dogs or the cat, they have pushed really hard on having their teeth cleaned, like to the tune of 500+ bucks per. In high school I spent a year working at a country vets office and I never heard of such a thing there. Does anyone actually do this? Maybe I'm old fashioned, and I love my dogs, (both are rescues FFS) but that sort of care/expense for our pets seems extremely extravagant/ridiculous.

Discuss.

IBF #firstworldproblems

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
it is very common to have dog's teeth cleaned. i have several friends who are vets who regularly clean dogs teeth. and several customers of theirs have their dogs teeth cleaned yearly (mainly on rat dogs like chihuahuas.)
my vet also recommended it for two of our dogs as well but i switched to Science Diet Oral Care food which cleaned their teeth up dramatically.

it unfortunately cost so much because the dog needs to be knocked out.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
one of my cats had something like 75% of his teeth removed due to infection that wasn't caught by the vet we had in california (who apparently sucked). this was to the tune of $800.

on the upside, a lot of his gastrointestinal issues cleared up as a result, and his personality improved drastically.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
clean them once in their life.....

schedule it for the end of the day and let them spend the night.

it takes some dogs a while to recover from being knocked out and they can be out of it for a while.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
it is very common to have dog's teeth cleaned. i have several friends who are vets who regularly clean dogs teeth. and several customers of theirs have their dogs teeth cleaned yearly (mainly on rat dogs like chihuahuas.)
If you've been brushing and have a dog that doesn't mind being handled, they don't need to be put out. Chihuahuas are really bad for teeth deposits, we get ours scaled every year.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If you've been brushing and have a dog that doesn't mind being handled, they don't need to be put out. Chihuahuas are really bad for teeth deposits, we get ours scaled every year.
i do brush my dog's teeth regularly but without them being knocked out, you cannot get a dog's teeth cleaned thoroughly. scaling dog's teeth doesnt solve problematic teeth/gums

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
i do brush my dog's teeth regularly but without them being knocked out, you cannot get a dog's teeth cleaned thoroughly. scaling dog's teeth doesnt solve problematic teeth/gums
The idea is that if you brush them and do the non-knockout cleanings then you don't run into the "Holy ****, all these teeth are rotten and we need to pull 18 of the them!" when the dog is 10.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The idea is that if you brush them and do the non-knockout cleanings then you don't run into the "Holy ****, all these teeth are rotten and we need to pull 18 of the them!" when the dog is 10.
thats good in theory but obviously wont work in the OP's case. nor will scaling replace a full dental cleaning

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've found that Hartz Crunch and Clean treats do a great job cleaning my pups teeth and keep his breath smelling pretty good. Not easy to do with a 12 year old dog, of course that could just be his superior mutt genetics.