Quantcast

Doh - messed up sram sx5 rear derailer!

nathanm13

Chimp
Sep 20, 2009
Hey,

New to the site and noticed loads of good advice on here so here's hoping someone can help.

Been giving my bike an overhaul after starting riding again after a few years break.

I'm new to servicing bikes apart from the basics but I'm not daft, can re-build an engine and how hard can it possibly be..........:confused:

Everything was going swimmingly until I messed around with the rear gear mechanism.........

Firstly I Took apart the trigger shifter as the levers were sticking and the spring flew off - that's another story and it's all greased up, back together and working fine now!

However, I took the rear SRAM sx 5 derailer of and dumped the whole component into a bucket of very diluted degreaser. Worked a treat and looks like new, however.......................when I put it back on again and attached the chain the hanger doesn't put any tension on the chain - it just hangs down loose about 4 inches.:imstupid:

I know the chain is the correct length as everything was pretty much working fine when I took it off and I'm sure (I think) that everything has been put back on correctly, but no matter what I do I can't get the chain anywhere near tight enough - except for when I manually pull the derailer hanger towards the back of the bike.

Is there a spring tensioner within the component that holds the hanger back that I might have damaged when I took it off or used degreaser?

Or am I missing something really simple??????????

Any help would be greatly appreciated (I'm determined not to run tomy LBS with my tail between my legs)

nathanm13

Chimp
Sep 20, 2009
Everything's simple when you know how!!!

Spin the hanger 360 degrees anti-clockwise before you put it back on - tensions the spring to hold the chain back!

All working fine now!!!:thumb:

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Yep, make sure the little tab on the der is lining up with that notch on the hanger. Sounds like you got it sorted