Quantcast

Dont Purchase WTB Lock-on Grips

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Wow.
Complete and utter garbage.

Unlike ODI, the clamp is plastic. You tighten them down, and they dont lock anything, they still spin around with not much effort. That is DANGEROUS if you're whailing down a hill and around a turn and the grip comes flying off in your hand. G-zus.

Anyway, thinking they just werent tight enough, I torqued down on the clamp bolt to try and make it tighter, and the black plastic turned white as it began to break. WTF?
$15 isnt exactly alot of money, but I dont have it just to throw away. Stay away from these.:mumble:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I like ODI Ruffians myself. I just thought Id try something new and wow, was I dissappointed.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Thats weird because the releas of those things was held up for like 6 months so they could improve them, cant imagine what they used to be like.:dead:

On a side note, in my experience WTB will do just about everything to make their customers happy, give them a call, they may replace the grips for you. Then you could at least return them to the shop. Also if that fails let the shop know what happened so they can be sure not to recomend them too highly.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Transcend said:
Why would you use anything but ODIs anyways?
Just out of curiosity. Every other WTB things Ive ever used has been great. These blow, now you know too.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
BurlyShirley said:
I like ODI Ruffians myself. I just thought Id try something new and wow, was I dissappointed.
me too. i'm gonna try ODI Rouges this next time. kind of iffy, though, as i love the super thin profile of the Ruffians. plus they seem to get gummier the older they get.

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
a lot of the guys here went on the ODI craze, and every single one of them has problems with throttling of at least one of the grips after a few months max. they all say they're torquing them down as recommended, but still have problems. I thought ODIs were the way to go also, but I gotta say, after witnessing these problems I'm glad I went bmx grips.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
skurfer333 said:
a lot of the guys here went on the ODI craze, and every single one of them has problems with throttling of at least one of the grips after a few months max. they all say they're torquing them down as recommended, but still have problems. I thought ODIs were the way to go also, but I gotta say, after witnessing these problems I'm glad I went bmx grips.

?????
I've been using ODIs since they came out with the lock-on. What's it been, 5-6 years?
I've got at least 6 sets and I've never had a single issue.
You guys must be doing something wrong down there.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
skurfer333 said:
Not sure what you guys are doing to your grips down in NC, but I have been running them for 5 years or so, never had a single problem. They usually last about half a race season (Ruffians), then I just replace them (and usually move them over to my DJ bike).

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
skurfer333 said:

Chances are your friends didn't grease the bolts before tightening them down. Greasing the threads not only lets you safely get to the torque you want, but also save from stripping the aluminum threads out of the collars. Grease the bolts and you won't ever have any problems.........unless you over tighten them:)

4 years on 3 bikes and all the original collars with no slipping.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i like the Rogue grip on ODI's.
i was going to put some on my new Enduro, but i decided to put the CC ergo bar ends on it. Bar ends...the original lock on.

J

JRB

I had trouble with lock on yetis twisting on one side. I like Ourys better so I just gave them to madbob and called it good. I may try some again, but not for now.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BurlyShirley said:
Wow.
Complete and utter garbage.

Unlike ODI, the clamp is plastic. You tighten them down, and they dont lock anything, they still spin around with not much effort. That is DANGEROUS if you're whailing down a hill and around a turn and the grip comes flying off in your hand. G-zus.

Anyway, thinking they just werent tight enough, I torqued down on the clamp bolt to try and make it tighter, and the black plastic turned white as it began to break. WTF?
$15 isnt exactly alot of money, but I dont have it just to throw away. Stay away from these.:mumble:
btw, i've seen a wtb employee scoff at this grip when he was about to install it on his bike...

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i don't think i would buy much from wtb anyways, besides the tires. i think the best lock ons are from yeti. or you can do like i do on my trials bike and put regular grips on, and then put a ziptie on either end of the grip and zip it really tight. :D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dirtjumper999 said:
i don't think i would buy much from wtb anyways, besides the tires. i think the best lock ons are from yeti. or you can do like i do on my trials bike and put regular grips on, and then put a ziptie on either end of the grip and zip it really tight. :D
Got moto style and use bailing wire.

I have had a bunch of ODI's without issue. I have the stock grips on my IH, but if I ever need to change grips, it will be to Ruffians. I had Rogues once, but they were too fat with gloves on.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I've been using the Intense (ODI) lock-ons forever. They feel better and better the more they wear down.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
The fat Oury ODI lock-ons for me. The only problem I ever had with lockons is the little plastic tabs on the end of the grips have broken on me a couple times (once on lizard skins, once on bontrager).

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i ride only ODI lock on high flange rogues. I love the high flange, it gives me something to put my hands against, and the rogue grip is so soft. I just bought a new pair after riding my old pair through the rubber for 2 years. feckin awesome grips man

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I stick with ODI. I'm on my secong pair. I had the intense ones which were real nice and pretty thin. Still they lasted me almost 2 years (granted they were REALLY thin when I replaced them. Only problem is that the little bolt stripped on one of my clamps. I had to hack it off and buy a new clamp. Now I have the Rogues... they are pretty thick, but nice. Proibably will last me another 2 years, though this time I'll be turning those bolts ever so often just to keep it from locking up like the last one.