Quantcast

DOT helmet suggestions?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
My Oneal SL-712 is worn out, so I picked up a Bell Moto 7R for a really good price and because other Bells have fit me well before. It fits my head well, but it hurts like hell taking it off. Seriously. It pulls my ears so hard that they still hurt a bit today (tried it on last night).

I need a helmet that will accomodate my fat face. My head is really wide in the cheeks and ears. I usually wear an XL (L sometimes), but the cheek area is like a XXXXL it seems. I had a Mad Max once and couldn't close my mouth. Putting the Bell on without the cheek pads in, it still rubs my ears. The bottom opening of the helmet is tapered down a bit and it's too small.

I need something reasonably light and reasonably cheap (I usually get helmets on closeout- no TLD, Shoei, etc.). My current Oneal fits, tried on an HJC, which felt okay and a Fox V3, which was a bit tight like the Bell. I may be able to get a deal on 661, but I might not be able to try it on before it arrives.

Any ideas?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I have a rather large melon and purchased a Fox V3 (2XL) at the beginning of last season. It was a bit tight for the first couple of days...but packed down nicely. It never felt like my ears were going to be ripped off...unless I forgot to take out my hoops...(that hurt the first time...eeek...). It's not exactly the cheapest of helmets...but it is light and works very well.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
661 Hurricane Flite. I love the way mine fits and feels. I wear a Large but I pretty sure they make an XL as well. Great pricing can be found online.

toby

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have a rather large melon and purchased a Fox V3 (2XL) at the beginning of last season. It was a bit tight for the first couple of days...but packed down nicely. It never felt like my ears were going to be ripped off...unless I forgot to take out my hoops...(that hurt the first time...eeek...). It's not exactly the cheapest of helmets...but it is light and works very well.
Not sure about the V3. I tried one on in the store and the bottom was a bit tight getting on and off. Plus it's mad expensive.

Gravity Ho

Chimp
Jan 25, 2005
I ride the 661 Hurricane Flight XXL. Most comfy helmet I've ever owned. I've tried on a lot of other helmets and they don't fit me either. (My Jaw hangs out the bottom of xxl TLD's) Before, I used to have to try on all the xxl helmets in stock hoping to find a factory defective helmet that is cast wider than standard. Even then it would be a tight fit. I found Pryme helmets to be a bit bigger too. In general, i find the biking industry does not really cater to large cranial mass. That's why I switched to Moto helmets. Way more selection in sizes. Go try on a Hurricane. They look licer than TLD. Well that's my opinion.

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
I have the same fit problems in helmets...had a Mad Max also and bit the insides of my cheeks all the time with it.

I have a 661 Flight and it fits incredbily well. Very comfortable. No problem at all in the jaw. I have a large and my hat size is like a 7 3/8 for reference. Their sizing chart on their site is pretty spot on.

benjaminj

mr. amy
Mar 21, 2007
so. tahoe
661 Hurricane Flite. I love the way mine fits and feels. I wear a Large but I pretty sure they make an XL as well. Great pricing can be found online.

toby
I've been seaching for months now and just found that Greenfish Sports out of NY has the 661 Flight Hurricane for $219 in flat black and the Flight Moto for $129 in sliver/black... and orders over $49 ship free - I'm placing my order tonight.

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
I've got a fattish head and fat cheeks. I've found that (in motorcycle helmets anyway) HJC, Scorpion, and Icon seem to fit the best. Of them, I think I like the Icon fit, but I have the most time with HJC and Scorpion.

As far as bicycle specific DOT helmets go, I have no idea, I just ride with my moto helmet.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Well, I read all of the suggestions...and then did something completely different. I got an M2R Revelation X- old stock, but very nice. It's an XL, but a bigger XL than most. On the top of the head, it may be a tad big, but the cheek area fits perfectly- better than any other helmet I've tried on. The fit and construction overall isn't as refined as other helmets, but it is super, super light and pretty cheap.

I got the Lusk replica and the paint is killer.

Thanks for your help, guys! If I could have found a comparable deal on a 661, I definitely would've gone that route.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
I found that the sizing on the 661 was a little small, and had to run a larger helmet than I thought, though it was a good helmet. I got a Bell Moto 8 this year, and I actually like the way it sits on my head a little better, but if you have a wide face, I can see where it might not be the best fit. Good Luck!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Well, I read all of the suggestions...and then did something completely different. I got an M2R Revelation X- old stock, but very nice. It's an XL, but a bigger XL than most. On the top of the head, it may be a tad big, but the cheek area fits perfectly- better than any other helmet I've tried on. The fit and construction overall isn't as refined as other helmets, but it is super, super light and pretty cheap.

I got the Lusk replica and the paint is killer.

Thanks for your help, guys! If I could have found a comparable deal on a 661, I definitely would've gone that route.
Toss up a mini-review after a little bit of break-in time...I'm always on the prowl for a good fitting helmet in larger sizes...I think 2 seasons (this season being the 2nd) on my current V3 will be it's limit...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
And while we're at it, here's some more new stuff that came in recently.

New jersey

New pants. Got a great deal. Construction quality is amazing, but they weigh a ton.

New shoes- ebay special! I had a pair of Ligures that I loved and eventually killed, so I saw these and had to snap them up.

Carbon!

New fork.

My basement, now in chaos. Waiting for parts to finish building 3 of the 5 bikes I own now.

edit: there's probably a wok somewhere in that back room. Use your imagination.