Quantcast

Double Barrel and DW link?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I'd have to second the Malcom praise, he was awesome to deal with and got my shock back to me exactly when he originally said he would. First time a bike company came through with ETA. Also, I weighed both today and the Double barrel is almost 100 grams lighter than the DHX, mounting hardware included. Here's a link to the pictures of anyone is interested. http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2338782&posted=1#post2338782

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
I'd have to second the Malcom praise, he was awesome to deal with and got my shock back to me exactly when he originally said he would. First time a bike company came through with ETA. Also, I weighed both today and the Double barrel is almost 100 grams lighter than the DHX, mounting hardware included. Here's a link to the pictures of anyone is interested. http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2338782&posted=1#post2338782
you said you dropped 100# of spring weight chainging from dhx to db is this the same for the sunday ?

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
^^^ i would assume it would be the same no matter what the frame was. the mounting hardware is kinda an irrelevant weight due to the fact it is gonna change from frame to frame. the acctuall dropped weight is in the shock itself which is what he is talking about. :cheers:

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
Its weird, I have a 350 pound spring on the DB, but a 450 pound on the DHX. Both setup with the correct amount of sag. I just rode the bike around for a little while checking out settings, feels a lot different than before. Much harder to bunnyhop, and now the rear wheel just wants to stick to the ground. Any and all rocks I could find were no match for me tonight :biggrin:
this is what i was refering to,
cuz assuming is the same for the sunday wouldn't you have to run like a 200 pound spring to make the double barel work properly?

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
^^^ohh my bad. i completely miss understood you. that is also what i was thinking about the spring as well. does any one have the answer. if not i might just make a call to cane creek.:cheers:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
The dw-link bikes can use as little as 1/3 of the low speed compression damping as other bikes, adn from what I understand the DB has a wide adjustment range. We will experiment more and post results on dw-link.com.
Would that mean that a Fox RC would work better on a 7pt than on most other bikes (since it doesn't have the low-speed compression)
Or doe it in fact havce LSC, just not the ability to adjust?

I was thinking about running an RC on my 7.7 instead of the 5th that has been on there for the last few years.

Anyone ahve any thoughs?

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
If you really want something better than a DHX for the Sunday just pickup an Avalanche Chubbie. I believe this is what DW is running on his sunday (or was at some point).

The shock is custom built for the application.
Avalanche shocks have been around longer than Sundays.
Every previous Sunday tune has been recorded in a database, this takes the guess work out of tuning. The result is a shock thats setup perfectly straight out of the box.

Cost is the same as a CCDB and the price includes custom tuning.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
If you really want something better than a DHX for the Sunday just pickup an Avalanche Chubbie. I believe this is what DW is running on his sunday (or was at some point).

The shock is custom built for the application.
Avalanche shocks have been around longer than Sundays.
Every previous Sunday tune has been recorded in a database, this takes the guess work out of tuning. The result is a shock thats setup perfectly straight out of the box.

Cost is the same as a CCDB and the price includes custom tuning.

Except for the fact that this is basically impossible, and if you think running it straight out of the box is the way to go then you wasted a big chunk of money on an 'upgrade' you don't know how to use.:plthumbsdown:

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
The avy hi/low adjuster adds a big tuning range, i can get it to be super soft or super hard in high and low speed compression. Its only the rebound that is a bit limited in range but thats not a big deal, you don't really need a range of rebound adjustment that goes from super slow to super fast.

Why do people hate on the avy so much? So much pent up anger against the brand, are you all pissed off that your 5th elements or swingers didn't live up to the hype of stable pedal platform?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
so what's the point of all the adjustment if it is 'set up perfectly out of the box' as so many people love to claim about whatever shock they happen to have a personal affinity for?

my point is that is a rediculous claim to make about any shock.

most people shell out money for an 'upgrade' (and i use this term loosely) despite the fact that they don't even know how to tune the shock that came on their bike in the first place. the only suspension pretuned perfectly is found on a hardtail.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
so what's the point of all the adjustment if it is 'set up perfectly out of the box' as so many people love to claim about whatever shock they happen to have a personal affinity for?
I have found that, provided your honest with craig when requesting the tune, that the best positions for all the knobs is about halfway for all of them, give or take a click or two (out of 24)

most people shell out money for an 'upgrade' (and i use this term loosely) despite the fact that they don't even know how to tune the shock that came on their bike in the first place. the only suspension pretuned perfectly is found on a hardtail.
And the point is what? People shouldn't upgrade? If people actually needed to upgrade parts rather then just wanting something new then the whole bike industry would self implode from a lack of sales.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
you've managed to missed the point entirely and lump the average consumer's inability to understand suspension tuning into one big oversimplified doomesday prediction of what might happen to the bike industry if all of a sudden they figured it out; not to put too fine a point on it.

so by all means, everyone with a Sunday, call Craig, be honest, and set your new shock up with all adjustments 1/2 way in. This will be perfect for your Sunday and you will never need to touch your suspension again. and, in doing so Fox, Rockshox, Push, Marxocchi, BOS, Cane Creek, and Manitou will go out of business from lack of sales.:clapping:

or, what i really meant to say: upgrade all you want, but you are doing yourself a disservice if you do so without understanding how to tune the suspension you already have (or are purchasing). otherwise you have an expensive piece of equipment you paid for but are too lazy to utilize to its full potential.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
People would much rather have someone else 'tell' them that it was tuned for them and their bike.

Its no secret that some sleeze ball out there could sell a service to tune shocks, but in fact only turn everything mid-way and slap a tuned sticker on it. People would rave about how perfect it was. Not knocking Avy or anyone, just making an observation on how, for the most part, we like to be spoon feed. I agree with General Lee.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
People would much rather have someone else 'tell' them that it was tuned for them and their bike.

Its no secret that some sleeze ball out there could sell a service to tune shocks, but in fact only turn everything mid-way and slap a tuned sticker on it. People would rave about how perfect it was. Not knocking Avy or anyone, just making an observation on how, for the most part, we like to be spoon feed. I agree with General Lee.
Doug, that's been happening a lot lately. i must be getting soft in my old age:cupidarrow:

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
This may seem like simple talk but wouldn't a lighter weight oil do the trick? The Sunday generally runs a lower spring rate for a given rider weight so would a relatively lighter oil give a better damping range?

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
or, what i really meant to say: upgrade all you want, but you are doing yourself a disservice if you do so without understanding how to tune the suspension you already have (or are purchasing). otherwise you have an expensive piece of equipment you paid for but are too lazy to utilize to its full potential.
Well, der, state the obvious.....

But its bleedingly obvious that having a custom tune for you and your bike does makes a difference, as evidenced by the fact the sunday needs its own tunning done to the shock and the vast number of people here who have shocks pushed and rave and rant about how great they are. Also, i don't believe i ever, or Craig has ever, said that it is set up perfectly out of the box with no tuning ever required.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
This may seem like simple talk but wouldn't a lighter weight oil do the trick? The Sunday generally runs a lower spring rate for a given rider weight so would a relatively lighter oil give a better damping range?
no, if anything lighter oil gives a smaller overall range but as a result offers more fine tuning

smaller damping range + constant range of shock adjustment = finer adjusment vs. large damping range + constant range of shock adjustment = less fine tuning. heavier oil makes your adjustment more pronounced, giving you more overall options; lighter oil limits the overall change made by the adjusters but offers more fine tuning capability.

at least that's how Dawson from Rockshox explained it to me a few years ago when he put 2.5w oil in the rbond side of my boxxer (back in '05 when they still used the hydra coil system). of course this whole idea may only pertain to the old boxxer system, i have no idea if it would have the same effect on other damping systems.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Well, der, state the obvious.....

But its bleedingly obvious that having a custom tune for you and your bike does makes a difference, as evidenced by the fact the sunday needs its own tunning done to the shock and the vast number of people here who have shocks pushed and rave and rant about how great they are. Also, i don't believe i ever, or Craig has ever, said that it is set up perfectly out of the box with no tuning ever required.
go back and read post #50, to which i originally responded (#51, relevant selection in bold), and in tern got your avalanche feathers all ruffled up (#52). just because someone takes issue with a post about avalanche shocks doesn't automatically mean they are bagging on avalanche. a tough concept, i know, but it's really just basic reading comprehension and understanding context. So, next time, before you jump to the defense of your fellow avi cult members, take a second to figure out if they are posting nonsense or not:disgust:

and though not quit saying it's perfect out of the box, this comes pretty close: "have found that, provided your honest with craig when requesting the tune, that the best positions for all the knobs is about halfway for all of them, give or take a click or two (out of 24)"

why are avy users so prone to behaving like the kid who always gets picked last in dodgeball? it's like the company has some inferiority complex that rubs off on all its owners.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Im not a member of the avy cult thanks. Good shocks but not worthy of placing on an alter and sacrificing my first born child too......

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
and though not quit saying it's perfect out of the box, this comes pretty close: "have found that, provided your honest with craig when requesting the tune, that the best positions for all the knobs is about halfway for all of them, give or take a click or two (out of 24)"
Well, you see, if you know how you want the shock setup then i have found it comes back exactly how i want it, give or take a few clicks. Off course, you would have seen i said "if your honest with craig", as in if you tell him how you want the shock to be. But theres the rub, you need to know how to setup the shock to get the benefit.

why are avy users so prone to behaving like the kid who always gets picked last in dodgeball? it's like the company has some inferiority complex that rubs off on all its owners.
Hahaha!!! Avy owners have nothing on the DW fan club. Watch me put up a post about how crap DW link bikes are or anything anti ridemonkey "flavour of this month with all the little kiddies" and watch me get smacked down repeatedly no matter how justified the complaint........

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
no, if anything lighter oil gives a smaller overall range but as a result offers more fine tuning

smaller damping range + constant range of shock adjustment = finer adjusment vs. large damping range + constant range of shock adjustment = less fine tuning. heavier oil makes your adjustment more pronounced, giving you more overall options; lighter oil limits the overall change made by the adjusters but offers more fine tuning capability.

at least that's how Dawson from Rockshox explained it to me a few years ago when he put 2.5w oil in the rbond side of my boxxer (back in '05 when they still used the hydra coil system). of course this whole idea may only pertain to the old boxxer system, i have no idea if it would have the same effect on other damping systems.
That does sound plausible in some ways but wrong in others; being as damping is all about fluid flow and lighter weight oil will flow better (faster). The lower viscosity oil will give a smaller window of operation but the window will be in the right place. At the moment the window is huge but it's just a bit too high to see anything out of . . . . ;o)

Or at least, that's how it feels to me.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
That does sound plausible in some ways but wrong in others; being as damping is all about fluid flow and lighter weight oil will flow better (faster). The lower viscosity oil will give a smaller window of operation but the window will be in the right place. At the moment the window is huge but it's just a bit too high to see anything out of . . . . ;o)

Or at least, that's how it feels to me.
essentially what i said. a shock has a given range of adjustments (turns, clicks, etc.). if lighter wt. oil reduces the overal range of adjustment that are able to be made with these controls then this means you have more fine tuning options. i.e, each click of the adjuster makes a less pronounced change.

think of it like running a 9 speed cassette with an 11-32 spread and and an 11-25 spread. still only nine adjustment options, but one offers a far greater ability to get it 'just right.'

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
So yes a lighter oil weight might work rather than

Aren't we talking round in circles rather than trying to work out if there's a way to make a CCDB work on a DW-Link?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
So yes a lighter oil weight might work rather than

Aren't we talking round in circles rather than trying to work out if there's a way to make a CCDB work on a DW-Link?
To your first question the answer is likely no. A change in oil weight is not likely to make much diffrence on something with a leverage ratio as high as that found on most dh bikes (3:1 or more, as opposed to a fork that has a 1:1 ratio). also, if the shock is not responsive enough with all the ajustments fully open, changing to lighter weight oil is not going to make it feel any different as most of the checks on oil flow are already being bypassed. Most shocks are designed to operate with a given oil and can be reshimmed/valved to perform a specific way with that oil.

to your second question, in a word: No.
It seems that the consensus is that the CCDB, in its current form, does not work well with the Sunday given its lower leverage ratio. To my knowledge, no one has attmpted to revalve the internals of a CCDB to match the Sunday's characteristics (ie, a 'suday' tune much like what Fox has done on OEM shocks).

every time this topic has come up on ridemonkey (quite a few) the result has been the same. It doesn't work well in its current form. if it can work well with a change in valving has, over the past 2 years now, yet to be determined.

not to mention this question has been answered and carefully explained several times already in this very thread, so yes you are indeed talking around in circles.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Actually G Li, there is an answer from Cane Creek for the DB. As a matter of fact, Team Honda/Iron Horse riders were on it all year.

The answer lies in one place. A simple phone call to Malcolm Hadley at Cane Creek will tell the man all he needs to know and end the e-spec.

call 828-684-3551 and get transfered to Malcolm. If he doesn't return your call within minutes...don't cry. :thumb:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Actually G Li, there is an answer from Cane Creek for the DB. As a matter of fact, Team Honda/Iron Horse riders were on it all year.

The answer lies in one place. A simple phone call to Malcolm Hadley at Cane Creek will tell the man all he needs to know and end the e-spec.

call 828-684-3551 and get transfered to Malcolm. If he doesn't return your call within minutes...don't cry. :thumb:
So Riffle had one disguised as an exact replica of a Vivid on his bike, and a second one equally well disguised but with a different internal valving that he carried around in a little troy lee glove bag? The strangest thing is, even while holding them in my hands none of the characteristic CCDB adjustments were visible anywhere; easily the 2 best fake Vivid's i have ever seen:poster_oops:

Only time I saw Sven all year was at Ste. Anne and he was running a decoy as well, only his was made to look like a DHX.

but seriously, after 2 years i would hope CC could produce something to work on the Sunday seeing as it's arguably the most popular bike out there at the moment, and that shock, for pretty much every other application, has been a winner.