Quantcast

double barrel owners

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Wat are your thaughts and feelings on it.

Im kinda sold at ohlins,however I still would like to hear from people who ride on one.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I love it. The only weakness I've found in running the shock for 4 seasons is the lower spring seat. I've bent one and totally demolished another one last month. My shock is currently at Cane Creek and Malcom says he is going to make a thicker spring seat out of 7000 aluminum for me, and rebuild the shock......... Pretty good support of a product right there.
I'm currently running my backup DHX on my Demo and the difference is night and day. The Double Barrel is superior and every way.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I've had a few of them now so I'm bias.

The only other shocks I've ran have been Fox, Romic, and an old Manitou 6-way. If I had a chance to run an Avy or Elka for a bit I might have a different opinion. So far, I feel no need to even try them honestly.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I had (well still have) one for a while now... while it is no doubt a high quality shock, it doesn't suit everything. It requires a frame that is reasonably progressive at the end of its travel in order to not feel dead or oversprung (ie not a Banshee Legend, or a Sunday). Realistically, different frames work best with different shocks, and some shocks are more versatile than others. Right now I'm stoked with my RC4 on my Legend, and have no reason to change it for anything else, because its progressive end-stroke works well with the leverage rate, however if I had a more progressive frame I'm pretty sure I could get a lot more out of a CCDB or a BOS Stoy.

It is hard to argue with CC's customer service though, they've offered me stuff that I thought was unreasonable in the sense that I expected to pay more! That alone puts them ahead of almost everyone else.

IggyS

Chimp
Aug 31, 2010
Santa Cruz
I had a double barrel on my M6 and it was pretty terrible but maybe I just got unlucky....
Mad deformation of glide bushings and nothing was done about it but I mean what can you do.... Win some, lose some. Have a RC4 now and it may not be as technically superior but damn it rides miles above

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Wasn't happy with mine. Blew the top out bumper within a week of getting it, and it always felt overdamped. I'd love to try one of the newer ones with the updated range of damping though.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Had some issues with mine and did eventually sell it. Seemed to always arrive at using the HSC adjuster to control the bottoming and it would suffer everywhere else. As others are saying, depends largely on the frame leverage curve.

I cannot say enough good things about Malcolms/Cane Creeks customer service though.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
P-spec, i've owned numerous shocks...

Fox
RockShocks Vivid
Avy DHS
& a CCDB

CCDB is by far the best shot I've had thus far... with one exception.... It was tough to initially set up for me... but once i got it dialed in for my riding style i have not touched it ever since....

Cane Creek offers ti Springs are reasonable prices also....

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Friend of mine has one on his Vexx frame, he loves it.

I borrowed his bike for a few runs. Felt amazing to me, far better than the DHX.

nybike1971

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
Niskayuna, NY
I have a CCDB on a Yeti 303R DH and it has been quite a tuning adventure. I would say that the main difference with most other shocks is that it is very easy to bring the CCDB in a place where it feels like crap, because of the wide tuning range.

This past weekend, for example, I kept tweaking it to a particular race course, at some point I must have turned something in the opposite direction I thought I was and kept making changes over changes until it just felt like the rebound circuit had blown up. I ended up taking the shock off the bike and putting the stock DHX back on. In the evening I reset all the settings on the CCDB and brought it back to a happy place. Having ridden the two shocks on the same track back to back the difference with the stock DHX was quite remarkable: CCDB is much more lively particularly in the mid-stroke, where the Fox is kind of dead and choppy; no spiking at high speed, very consistent feel regardless of the size and shape of the bumps, while the DHX starts chattering and can't quite follow the terrain at high shaft speed. On bigger hits, I definitely use the travel on the Yeti (linear leverage) but I have never felt bottom and measuring used travel on the rail, I have never used more than 2.6in of shock stroke, which indicates that the bottom-out bumper and high-speed compression circuit are doing a good job absorbing the hits.

The shock for me runs best slightly undersprung relative to manufacturer's sag recommendation. I had a 350lbs/in (26% static sag) spring with 2 turns of preload on the shock and the ride was always very nervous, particularly in wet conditions. I went to a 300lbs/in spring with 3 turns of preload (close to 30% static sag) and was able to crank down on the damping a bit more to calm the rear end of the bike down and let the shock breathe better.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Last I heard they didn't custom tune anything. The only thing "custom" they give you is the hardware. Same poppet springs, same needles, same piston, same shimstacks, same IFP depth and pressures.