Quantcast

Double Barrel reviews.

Nov 9, 2005
So the few monkeys that have the dbs, can you give possibly some long term reviews of the shocks performance? Has it changed overtime in any sort, different conditions, stuff like that. Thanks.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
It still feels exactly the same.
Which is great.
Its very adjustable, and another bonus is not having to replace the DU bushings every month like on my other shocks.
Its still rock solid.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Jeremy R said:
It still feels exactly the same.
Which is great.
Its very adjustable, and another bonus is not having to replace the DU bushings every month like on my other shocks.
Its still rock solid.
:stupid: Couldn't be happier with mine. Smooth, controlled, predictable. It rocks.

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
I can't answer the long term question yet since I've only had mine a few weeks. So far it's lived up to expectations. It replaces the 5th Element on my Knolly. The rear end is more plush and active now so I'm pleased with the upgrade. I'm still tweaking the settings so it feels better all the time. I would definately buy another one. The only downside was the Ti spring from my 5th doesn't fit, the Progressive springs are a slightly smaller ID than the DB, DHX, and Swinger.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
stop it your not getting the db trevor

your rear shock is fine, if you were going to change anything on your bike the DHX 5.0 will be the last to go, what about selling your Jr T first and upgrading that!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If you have a DHX already, don't bother buying a DB. If you want ultimate performance just get your DHX PUSHed for your weight, bike, and riding style.

Plus, the DB is heavier than the DHX.

If you're on a Jr. T I would DEFINATELY upgrade that before the rear shock. Look at the new Boxxer Team, there are a few brand new ones in the buy and sell right now for cheap.

Nov 9, 2005
i wasn't going to make a purchase anytime soon, i'm just gathering information so when i do make a purchase. I would to love to push my DHX, i just have to wait for PUSH to Push them. I want the 07 40 really bad and i'm working for it, it will just take time.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Bicyclist said:
If you have a DHX already, don't bother buying a DB. If you want ultimate performance just get your DHX PUSHed for your weight, bike, and riding style.

you have no clue do you? no clue whatsoever....:nopity:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I have no complaint with my DHX and I don't see why I'd spend more than twice the price of my new DHX 4.0 to get a different, heavier shock.

Nov 9, 2005
Bicyclist said:
I have no complaint with my DHX and I don't see why I'd spend more than twice the price of my new DHX 4.0 to get a different, heavier shock.

not that it matters right now, but is the db really heavier than the dhx? I would have to imagine that they are very close in weight. I think what Bicyclist is trying to say that it may or may not be worth 650 bucks for a new shock, unless there is a 650 dollar difference in performance. Is it treu or not? That is what i want to know. If it helps any, i have a stab supreme and i will have it for a while so that is the bike that this shock if i were to get it would go on.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
That's exactly what I'm saying. You should put your money elsewhere.

It's actually a fair bit lighter because of the aluminum shaft. I was shocked at how much lighter it was than my Swinger.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Bicyclist said:

If you're on a Jr. T I would DEFINATELY upgrade that before the rear shock. Look at the new Boxxer Team, there are a few brand new ones in the buy and sell right now for cheap.
I saw one on MTBr for 300 bucks the other day...

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
Also about the DB, unless you really know what you are doing with your suspension set up, or are friends with someone who is I wouldn't sugest it. It's bling, but if you don't have the knowledge to properly set it up then it's not going to benifit you at all. The one I tried on my friends Demo seemed really nice, but personally I don't see it worth the money over a DHX/Swinger.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
konabiker said:
...And you have a heavily biased opinion due to your hookup with Canecreek, I'd personally take both opinions with a grain of salt...

yeah, you stole the words right out of my mouth.....and additionally, i'm sure butch has spent PLENTY of time on a push'd DHX......he's probably never even ridden one, so, he really doesn't have a leg to stand on, but that's typical of him.....so hilarious....

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think everyone needs to chill. Jesus.

Either way, SB, you'll be good. Personally I wouldn't spend the money but it's up to you.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
sinister37 said:
and you come off as a real dick, so it works out in the end.
Thanks brah :thumb:

To all you frickin' e-riders...bite me. I'm don't have a hook up with Cane Creek. I live down the road from them...whoooo. So that means half of So Cal has hook up and you should only listen to people who pay retail.:rolleyes:

I've got 12 years experience in DH racing and another 8 in Motocross racing. I've not come close to riding anything any better than the Double Barrel.

To the comment about being able to Fokk it up easier in terms of tuning...it's the OPPOSITE!! It can be said that if you crank the adjustments to their max's one way or the other, you will have the biggest turd ever...YES! Because all 4 adjusters can completely open up or completely shut down their independent circuits!

But...and this is where someone RIDING AN RACING a Double Barrel can speak confidently...it is the EASIEST...I repeat...EASIEST shock to set up on the market. When you make slight adjustment...you immediately feel what it has done.

Nov 9, 2005
konabiker said:
Also about the DB, unless you really know what you are doing with your suspension set up, or are friends with someone who is I wouldn't sugest it. It's bling, but if you don't have the knowledge to properly set it up then it's not going to benifit you at all. The one I tried on my friends Demo seemed really nice, but personally I don't see it worth the money over a DHX/Swinger.
that is one major thing that i'm not great with is setting up shocks. It took me a while to get my dhx set up for me and i imagine a db would be a lot harder, although i have herd that cane creek does give you very close numbers basedon your bike, style weight and terrain.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Trevor I Beg You Man Don't Get The Db The Dhx Is Fne Use That Money To Spend To Lighten Up Your Ride. Eg Fork, Saddle,cranks,seatpost.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Get rid of that Jr-T first, or get some Super T cartridges in there. If you already have a DHX a new rear shock should be a low priority.
This goes for you too Ben, get rid of that spikey mess of a fork! ;)

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
he has the super t cartridges but even so DHX is perfect for what he does, and even perfect for what he will do there are only few that i can think of that would truly benefit from having this shock.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
SBDownhillRacer said:
that is one major thing that i'm not great with is setting up shocks. It took me a while to get my dhx set up for me and i imagine a db would be a lot harder, although i have herd that cane creek does give you very close numbers basedon your bike, style weight and terrain.
DB is way easier to set up. Each circuit is independent of the other 3. So when you make an adjustment you want...you don't have to back off other adjusters, let air out or in chambers, or crank any knobs out or in to compensate for that adjustment. If you think high speed compression is too stiff, back the knob out and ONLY that characteristic of your suspension is changed.

If you think a course is a pedaler...run the low speed compression adjuster in a notch or two and pedal around the parking lot. You'll feel the change.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
bizutch said:
DB is way easier to set up. Each circuit is independent of the other 3. So when you make an adjustment you want...you don't have to back off other adjusters, let air out or in chambers, or crank any knobs out or in to compensate for that adjustment. If you think high speed compression is too stiff, back the knob out and ONLY that characteristic of your suspension is changed.
Is that how like on my DHX when I adjust the propedal knob, it only changes that aspect of the shock?

Or how when I adjust the air chamber, it doesn't make the rebound work any differently?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Jm_ said:
Is that how like on my DHX when I adjust the propedal knob, it only changes that aspect of the shock?

Or how when I adjust the air chamber, it doesn't make the rebound work any differently?
Yep, pretty much. :D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Jm_ said:

funny. you neglected to mention how adjusting the air chamber requires you to adjust that other feature...hmmmm...now which one was it?

Dude...I ain't hating on the DHX. Loved it last year. Love the DB more. you know you want it...come and git it... :agree: