Quantcast

Double Barrel set up

Dhmann

Chimp
Sep 24, 2004
Hi,

I finally got my double barrel up and running and iam finding that it excells on the rough, i love it, but on the corners iam finding the backend is breaking away where it didnt used to on the DHX. In the corners it seems really active (to the point where iam losing grip). Usually on other shocks i would slow the rebound down to combat this, but with this shock i cant as both high/low speed rebound and fully on.
Is this just the way the shock is and i need to get used to it?
What settings are other people running?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
You have both high and low-speed rebound dialed in fully? That is really far from right. Go download or refer to the manual, tweak things back from the stock settings and make changes to only 1 circuit at a time at small increments.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Hmm, that sounds very odd...Agree with John if in fact your rebound adjustments are dialed all the way in...Usually (at least to my way of thinking), when you're breaking traction as you described, that means the shock is packing up and causing the back end to skip around - thus, you should speed up your rebound...Rarely have I heard of people complaining about a suspension being 'too active' unless it's related to excessive pedal bob...

Anyway, FWIW, I have my high speed rebound and compression set as prescribed by CC (i.e. in the middle, or 2 clicks from closed), then the I have the low speed compression dialed in a little for improved pedaling and the low speed rebound dialed out a fair bit (I usually like a faster rebound setting)...Can't remember exactly how far, but I have it written down somewhere...Will try to post later...Btw, I have a '05 V-10...

Good luck...

Dhmann

Chimp
Sep 24, 2004
just seems like the rebound range doesnt go slow enough for me. I have heard that CC tune the shock differently to most. I cant seem to get the rebound to feel slow, as thats how it like it.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
just seems like the rebound range doesnt go slow enough for me. I have heard that CC tune the shock differently to most. I cant seem to get the rebound to feel slow, as thats how it like it.
Sounds like what you are describing is due to too much damping..read some auto damping tuning articles and the results on oversteeer/understeer (try google).

My CCDB feels slow if anything.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You need enough to keep the rear end from bucking you, but that is it. It shoudl still be fairly active. Your tunning is all wrong. Start from scratch, read the manual.

Dhmann

Chimp
Sep 24, 2004
I weigh 190lbs and use a 550 spring on a 2006 V10. I started off with the stock settings, but the backend was bucking around. Compared to the range of my DHX the cane creek doesnt go any where near as slow as it.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Wow, that is starting to sound like something is wrong with the shock...I'd agree with davep and thought the rebound damping was a little too slow (more like a 5th) before I adjusted it...After messing around with the settings, I feel like it offers significant advantages over the DHX in terms of ride quality (especially on a V-10)...So you may want to call Malcolm at CC and see what he says...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I weigh 190lbs and use a 550 spring on a 2006 V10. I started off with the stock settings, but the backend was bucking around. Compared to the range of my DHX the cane creek doesnt go any where near as slow as it.
Yeah, that is pretty much the opposite of how it should feel.
Cane Creeks will feel "slow" in the parking lot but then feel perfect on the trail. I run my rebound almost all the way fast, and my compression light as well, because that suits my riding, but you should have NO problem making the double barrel slow if thats what you want. Give Malcolm a call. I think he will back in the office tomorrow.

Dhmann

Chimp
Sep 24, 2004
my compression is set to the recommended settings issued by cane creek. As was the rebound. Compression wise this felt fine, just the rebound was insanely fast, so i ended up slowing it down to fully slow and this still is really fast. Contacted Malcolm so hopefully things will get sorted out soon.

john

Dhmann

Chimp
Sep 24, 2004
It appears I could be using a spring which is too stiff for my weigh using a Double Barrel. Although this feels perfect for most other shocks (DHX,Roco,5th etc), apparently the CC works differently and controls the end stroke compression itself not the spring. Which in turn means a lighter spring can be used. Hopefully this is the solution.

Is there anyone out there a similar weight as me (190lbs) and a V10? If so what spring are you using on a double barrel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

John

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
It appears I could be using a spring which is too stiff for my weigh using a Double Barrel. Although this feels perfect for most other shocks (DHX,Roco,5th etc), apparently the CC works differently and controls the end stroke compression itself not the spring. Which in turn means a lighter spring can be used. Hopefully this is the solution.

Is there anyone out there a similar weight as me (190lbs) and a V10? If so what spring are you using on a double barrel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

John

you're definitely running a spring too heavy. I'm 190 and run a 550 on a DHX, Romic, etc... but on my DB I run a 500lb spring and that's it.
You've got a lot of issues you're going to have to work around with the V10.

Number one being that the Double Barrel is so effective, that in corners it feels almost too soft, but is simply the fact that it's just that sensitive. Trust the rear of the bike to track is all.
Other shocks feel stiffer in a turn, but they are actually choppy and stiff and losing traction. But the DB will follow even the tiniest features of a trail, and once you learn to trust that "lack of feedback", you're gonna turn faster.

Number two is that with 10 inches of travel, you're gonna have to get up to some VERY serious speed before you're going to get the full use of the DB. And I mean serious speed. I've yet to find an upper speed limit for the DB, regardless of the trail, be it Windrock, US Open, Snowshoe, etc. (I ride a Demo 8)

Best of luck.
Once you get the 500lb spring and back off the compression some and speed up the rebound, you'll be well off.:clapping:

RogerH

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Sweden
I have a little question about the DB. How do you use the independent high/low speed rebound adjusters? Are not the rebound force only determined by the spring rate? Or does a spring rebound at different speeds at different amounts of compression?

Maybe a stupid Q, but I have always wondered about this!
Most shocks only have high/low speed compression adjustment.

Thanks!