Quantcast

Double on a Intense socom?

dhmarin

Chimp
Aug 23, 2007
Hi,

I am having an Intense socom being built right now - and intense sent the wrong build kit - they sent the freeride kit with the saint double. The shop I am using is scrambling to get me a single so I can pick the bike up tomorrow for a weekend mtb trip.

The thing is I actually want a double - can I put one on the bike? if so what is involved and what cranks will work?

-Jerry

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Theres no reason you cant run a double on your socom, would recommend you get some sort of dual ring guide. As far as whats involved, you just need a derailleur and a shifter, prtetty standard stuff. Also, intense sent all their build kits with doubles this year. The only difference between the freeride kit and the dh kit was the dh kit comes without the derailleur and shifter. If your shop knew what they were doing with dh stuff, they would cut the granny posts off and you would be riding by now.

Squeegee

Chimp
Aug 22, 2007
DC Metro area
actually i spoke to intense about a week ago, using doubles on the socom, they said the seat tube has too slack of an angle for the front der. to work properly...though that's just what they say...let us know if you get it to work...

dhmarin

Chimp
Aug 23, 2007
Thanks guys - so - I should be able to run the FSA Gravity Bash or Shimano Saint - and the couple that with an e13 DRS. I care more about getting a granny then I do whether it works 100% perfectly.

-Jerry

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
in the mtbr Intense forum you can see pics from a few months ago of socoms running a front derailleur. they needed to use a clamp-on cable stop on the seat tube.

Why not run a DRS with the E-Type mount?
That's what I've been starting to look at. Not too sure why a Shimano FD-M770-E wouldn't work in conjunction with a DRS. I think the only issue might be your chainline since the e-type derailleur becomes just another spacer.

Is there anyone here that's ACTUALLY set up their Socom with a front derailleur that can comment and post up some pics?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
E13 DRS with and E-type mount. Rig a cable stop on the boomerang and BLAM! you got gears!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im not a fan of E-type.

Quote from MTBR.
"I tried a Shimano XT Top Clamp, a Shimano XT E-Type w/ an e-Thirteen e-type DRS, and a Shimano Bottom Clamp. The only one that I could get to work without Swing Arm interference was the Bottom Clamp XT."

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Ahhh.

I had an SGS with an Etype mounted onto a DRS and it worked out pretty nicely.
Not suprising that theres issues though, since the SOCOM was never intended to go uphill other than on a chairlift or a shuttle truck ;)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ahhh.

I had an SGS with an Etype mounted onto a DRS and it worked out pretty nicely.
Not suprising that theres issues though, since the SOCOM was never intended to go uphill other than on a chairlift or a shuttle truck ;)
Some of us are not so lucky. ;)

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Why would you have to cut the granny post's off the cranks? Just take the granny ring off and run a single guide. I run a 36t ring with a guide and 11-34 cassette and get up some scary climbs.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I need a 22t. Come ride up our STEEP hills for 5-10 miles with a 36t. NO WAY.

We earn our DH here in Montana. No lifts except for your feet.
Pic from fire season.

DH all the way to the water. 5.5 miles of up for 12 miles of DH

Nothing like a pic of the top with a DH helmet strapped to a pack full of armour.
I call this pic "EARNED IT"

Pic from the bottom.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
^^^^ If your climbing hills like that your not going to want a Socom. If your in shape any hill your going to realisticly get a 40 pound bike up can be done with a 36 tooth ring. Serious climbs will require a different bike.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
^^^^ If your climbing hills like that your not going to want a Socom. If your in shape any hill your going to realisticly get a 40 pound bike up can be done with a 36 tooth ring. Serious climbs will require a different bike.
My Foes Flys (02.5 and 06) did it for the last 5 years at 45 lbs.

My buddy at the top. He rides a 45 lb Bullit

All my buddys use 40+ lb FR/DH bikes as xc bikes. XC bikes wouldnt be as fun. :)
Ya gotta stay on the trail though.
Here is a pic from the same trip. My buddy went off the trail and down the side. Its a lot steaper in person.

Its a long DH from here. The DH is about an hour WITHOUT stoping.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
^^^ You guys are super human freaks to ride 45 pound bikes up the side of mountain ranges like that. For me and my tiny eastern canadian hills, all we need is a 36t.

Cheers