Quantcast

Doubles 101

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Here's the deal.Had a garage built and the concrete truck left some huge ruts in my yard:angry: .Have to get a load of dirt to fill em in.Now, they have a minimum size load.So i'm going to have a buttload of dirt left over.What else can you do but build some doubles in your yard:D . Anybody else done this?Any tips?Know it sounds stupid but I haven't ever built any.Come on,help me prove my wife wrong,she thinks I'm the only one to ever do this.:p

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
When I was a kid I had doubles all over my backyard. Sure they were only like a foot high but they were still doubles. My parents had a quarter acre with absolutely no landscaping, now they have a quarter acre with a mostly dead lawn, a couple of fruit trees that need to be pruned and no more dirt jumps. I had to dig through a pretty tough layer of clay, if you can just get a heap of dirt and pile it up with a wheelbarrow you'll save a bunch of time.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
making doubles out of pure dirt sucks. especially if you try to do it alone. if you can, find **** to throw underneath the mounds so you don't use so much dirt.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by GravityFreakTJ
Here's the deal.Had a garage built and the concrete truck left some huge ruts in my yard:angry: .Have to get a load of dirt to fill em in.Now, they have a minimum size load.So i'm going to have a buttload of dirt left over.What else can you do but build some doubles in your yard:D . Anybody else done this?Any tips?Know it sounds stupid but I haven't ever built any.Come on,help me prove my wife wrong,she thinks I'm the only one to ever do this.:p
Your wife may be right: you may be the only one to ever solve the problem of unsightly ruts by building 3 foot high mounds of dirt on top of them ;)

That being said, I would love to do the same thing. When I used to live in the country I made a flat track course on my front lawn with my dirtbike one rainy day... my mom was none to pleased with me when she got home.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Originally posted by Kornphlake
When I was a kid I had doubles all over my backyard. Sure they were only like a foot high but they were still doubles. My parents had a quarter acre with absolutely no landscaping, now they have a quarter acre with a mostly dead lawn, a couple of fruit trees that need to be pruned and no more dirt jumps. I had to dig through a pretty tough layer of clay, if you can just get a heap of dirt and pile it up with a wheelbarrow you'll save a bunch of time.

I have 7/8th of an acre,a tri-axle dump load of dirt,a bobcat,case of beer and some ridin' buddies to help build.Aw heavy equipment and beer;) .Seriouly,I think it would just be to cool to be able to come home from work,grab your bike and hit up some jumps in your own backyard:cool:

By the way,I'm serious about the bobcat:D

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
You know im in. I love slinging dirt. A bobcat will definatly make the work go quicker. What are they going for? $60 a half day? Tell the wife she can plant flowers in the gaps.;)

mcl2u2

Chimp
Oct 24, 2003
KY
If Booker is in, then I'm in too. After last weekend at Cherokee Park, I'm a doubleing fool. At Fort Duffield I'm a crashin fool over the double. Still no scratches on the Evil though.

Sep 10, 2001
You are far from the only person to want to have jumps in the backyard... I think that is most riders dream set up. I would love it myself, if I had a backyard..... But, my boss has a rather interesting frontyard set up with rythyms, big doubles and even a ladder drop to tranny.... That will be fun once the weather starts to cooperate...

Brian

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Originally posted by GravityFreakTJ
Oh no dude, you're not the only one to do it. I used to own half a block in a small town and I built me an arenacross track for my dirt bike. I had a bobcat too so it made the work a lot easier. All my buddies would come out and we'd go at it for a little while in the evenings. It was something fun to do right after work for sure. I say getter done. Final answer.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
I am now the proud owner of a 25 ton mound of fresh dirt:D .In the morning the diggin' shall commence and with any luck should have some pretty sweet doubles etc.. in my back yard in a couple of days:cool: . Aw... redneck landscaping!!!!!!!!

burpBruup!

Chimp
Dec 6, 2001
va
I had a tandam load of dirt droped in my yard the oter day. Ive got a six pack started and still have plenty of dirt to build.Ill try post some pictures later.

Mar 27, 2004
baltimore and boulder
What I would give to have what you have.... ok a few quick tips for line building. Each well, that is the space inbetween landing and next lip, needs to be slightly deeper than the last. Gaps should grow by about a foot with each succesive jump, wells should be slightly longer than gaps. If youre making really small jumps the wells will have to be longer. The bobcat is going to be a huge help, Ive never had the pleasure of using one so your gonna have to talk to someone else for tricks you do with the bobcat. Only other thing I can think of is that the less angles, bumps, ect your line has the more fun it will be, which means landings should transer smoothly into the well, wells into lips, ect. Just making piles on flat group makes for a choppy line. Packing should be done with feet, tampers, and flat shovels. you may be able to use to cat to do some rough packing.. just a thought.