Quantcast

Downhill Bike in Xterra?

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
Does anyone have a 2005-up Nissan Xterra that they use to transport bikes? I know that I can put it on the roof rack or buy a hitch rack, but can I fit one in the back? Considering an Xterra, Fj cruiser, or a Tacoma so any advice is welcome.

rider151

Chimp
Sep 11, 2008
San Diego
I know your asking about the Xterra but I saw your list and previously owned a tacoma and now own an FJ. The Fj can fit a dh bike in the back without removing wheels (much easier with a rack though). Never owned an xterra but the tacoma and fj have both been fantastic vehicles. (Sorry not a direct answer to your question.)

DHJay

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
Bronx
I have an 03 Xterra and can fit a DH bike with the rear seats down. The 05 has more rear space so it should be fine. Get the Hitch.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
my wife used to own an xtrerra. if its the 3.0 motor you are looking at those things are a bit of a dog. very heavy vehicle, under powered (constantly stuck in between 3 & 4 on the highway going up hill), and poor gas milage (16).

just picked up a 4L tacoma that gets 20mpg real world, has 4 dog kingcab, and the 6ft long bed. motors up hill. way better vehicle.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I had an 06 Xterra up until last year. You may be able to cram the bike in there with both wheels on, but the best setup is to take the front wheel off, lower the seat an RCH, and roll it in rear wheel first. You can then bungie the top tup to one of the hooks in there and it stands up great and is out of the way. The front wheel then fits nicely in the recess for the window, and you've got tons of room left over for other crap (including leaving half the rear seat up for a 3rd passenger).

Put a 2-bike hitch rack on the back, and you've got the ultimate setup for a 3-man road trip. Plenty of room for 3 passengers, 3 bikes, and all your gear.

If you look closely, you can see the setup I'm describing in this pic of me and my buddies from a road trip a couple years ago.

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
Thanks guys. I think its the Xterra vs Tacoma (both years 05-up). The FJ was just released in 2007 and holds its value so I would have to pay nearly 20 grand. Tacoma would be around 16-17 grand and the Xterra would be around 13-14 grand. FJ is out, but I also want to put in that it will be taken offroad. Xterra vs. Tacoma...

snowaddict91

Chimp
Sep 8, 2008
Gunnison, Co
taco...having a truck is so nice, and in my experience, every time i have to move furniture for someone (college), my suv is just a little too small for the job

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
Yeah but when you have all your expensive gear and tools, an SUV shines since you can lock it all inside without having to pack and unpack

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
taco...having a truck is so nice, and in my experience, every time i have to move furniture for someone (college), my suv is just a little too small for the job
Yeah but when you have all your expensive gear and tools, an SUV shines since you can lock it all inside without having to pack and unpack
Exactly my thoughts. Loading into a truck is easy and you can fit many bikes. But everything is not secure.

An SUV might be harder to get a bike into but all your gear is safely inside and weatherproof.

snowaddict91

Chimp
Sep 8, 2008
Gunnison, Co
Exactly my thoughts. Loading into a truck is easy and you can fit many bikes. But everything is not secure.

An SUV might be harder to get a bike into but all your gear is safely inside and weatherproof.
very true, i do love my suv for that. my next vehicle will probably be a quad cab 1/2 ton or bigger..some dry storage and still a bed big enough to hang bikes off the tailgate..but in the winter i do prefer an suv