Quantcast

Downhill bike setup question

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SXtrailrider said:
How many monkeys have had riding time on both the 66rc2x and the fox 36 talas. I you have could you give me insight on what i should do, sell or keep the fox.

remember the bike is my hucking Dh and everything else bike.
I am running the 36 talas on my trail bike right now (an Evil Soveirgn) The fork travel/weight is incredible, i wouldnt trade it for the world. However, for pure DH i would go with the 36 Vanilla...The travel has a different feel to it (more plush). I dont think the TALAS system has much place in DH, trail riding yes, but not DH. So if you were going to make a swap i would say go with that, noone in the industry is matching fox's quality right now (sorry zoch guys i used to be one too). As for the triple clamp, you are crazy...That bike rocks.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
^I agree with big willie. ^ If your in the market for a fork, the 36 vanilla is a very tempting option and would suit most peoples needs better than the talas (excluding the weight penalty).

But, how many people here, who keep recommending he replace his talas with a 66 have actually ridden them? I've ridden both pretty extensively. Selling a 36 for a 66 would be absolutely pointless. They are both very nice forks, but I wouldn't consider switching an upgrade in either direction.

Rock what you got. If you switch to anything else, you'd be hard pressed to rationalize it as an "upgrade".

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Interesting thread. I have a few guys that I ride with that have a similar set-up (SX with SC) and they can do just about anything. If at all I would look into the 36 Vanilla as an optional upgrade. Air sprung forks for DH and FR do scare me a bit. Although they are at the top of the class (Talas) I just feel more comfortable with longevity using a coil sprung fork.

Just researched out every conceivable fork that there is to go on my new Vagrant frame and I came to the conclusion that the Fox Vanilla is the one option that covers all my needs. Stiff, adjustable like crazy, 6+ inches.... This too will be my all purpose bike so I wanted a fork that would hold up. Sure all the others listed are great but after riding my buddies around, the Vanilla had the best feel for a SC.

If you are considering a DC then the Boxxer Ride is the one. Adjustable to fit your bike perfectly.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Does anyone know of someone or someplace that has a 36 vanilla RC2 cheap. Also what would be a good price to sell my fork for. remmber it is fairly new maybe four months old with light riding on it. I havn't really gotten in to DH till recenltly and im one of the easiest person on my gear.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
SXtrailrider said:
Does anyone know of someone or someplace that has a 36 vanilla RC2 cheap. Also what would be a good price to sell my fork for. remmber it is fairly new maybe four months old with light riding on it. I havn't really gotten in to DH till recenltly and im one of the easiest person on my gear.
buy it new-used from some guy on here

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
yeah i know im not set on selling it at all as of now, just looking if thier are a lot of peopel willing to buy it at the price i have been told i might just sell and get the 36 van RC2

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
DirtBag said:
I found mine for $699 NIB. I have heard of them getting down to about $650.

Was this for new or used. And if used how many have you actually heard of going for $650 that is almost in perfect condtion?

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Thank man i soon as i sell my talas i will get the van on the site. Have you had any problems with your buy from this company? How much was it including shipping and everything?

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Nope no issues as far as the purchase goes. I e-mailed the seller to verify that it is a brand new fork complete with the extra springs all in the box. He e-mailed me back in about 5 minutes stating that it is indeed as described and he offers a money back guarantee. It should be in late next week or early the following week.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
really for how much im asking 750 since it is the Talas. I bought it form my LBs for $1020 with tax. The fork still has all the warrenty papers and everything.