Quantcast

Downhill racers

srphillips89

Monkey
Jan 29, 2006
Boone NC
I'm looking at getting a V10 for next years racing season. Would a 10 inches of travel be "to much" travel for racing in the south? I just don't want to get something that would be overkill.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I dont know what I'm talking about. But I'll pretend because I have a feeling its gonna be the thing to do in this thread.

10 inches will probably be a blast and Snowshoe and Sugar and Windrock and those places, but thats a whole lot of cash money to be spending on a bike you're going to have to drive several hours to ride, and thats probably going to slow you down at races like Dark Mtn.

srphillips89

Monkey
Jan 29, 2006
Boone NC
I don't want to sound like some spoiled kid, but I have the Nomad for that type of racing(Dark mountain is going to be a Super D this year). My other option would be a Cannondale Judge DH and it might be a little better suited for racing in the South. Like I said, I don't want to get a bike that is overkill.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
srphillips89, are you looking at getting a new bike or used? How much are you looking to spend? A V-10 is a nice bike but I will tell you its a better fit bike for a big person and someone that doesn't have finesse on a bike. It is made for plowing stuff with. The fame also has a dead feel to it like it doesn't want to leave the ground, as in its harder to bunny hop. I feel there are much better frames out there for racing, but you need to get what works for you.

What kind of rider are you? We maybe able to help you better after you tell us.

Example: I am a finesse rider. I don't always take the hard lines, but look for the smoothest line to follow. I hoop over most of the things on a trail. I like a frame that really pedals well and is light.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
What's wrong with just using the Nomad?

Vories had no problems riding his at windrock so you should be just fine with that.
:biggrin:

EuroNewbie

Chimp
May 14, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Good question, I have been considering the same thing. Now I am looking more at the Turner DHR - 8.5" travel. But still tossing around the idea of a V10 or M3

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
a demo 8 IMO is a perfect frame for the south
pedalable (to an extent) you can freeride it, and then go race full on dh with it, if you have cash to spend, go with a demo 8. either way the v10 and judge will be overkill for everything expcet what escape artist said.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
originally posted by bizutch
My Stylo crank is separating from the integrated BB spindle.
damn so that is what the problem was.

ohh and srphillips what kinda weight are we looking at here. im about 150 lbs and there is no way in hell i will ever need anything above 9 inches for anything that i ride. i mean a v10 is a great bike but for smaller riders and south riders its overkill. if you like the bike to be really nibble and get off the ground stay away from the v10, and if you are a finese rider deffinatly stay away from it cause that bike is ment to plow threw any rock garden you put it up against. hope that helps man. :cheers:

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
aha wtf?
did you do some identity, research?
aha yea 2 house's, one in winston and a condo on lake norman

but $? aha none for me, I pay for all my bikes in full
aha working for 6.05 takes a while to pay for an expensive hobby :/

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Scott...

Get the Judge. 8.5" staged rear travel, floating brake to kill brake jack, lower standover height, slightly longer wheelbase helps stability, and slacker headtube angle. IMO, 10" is excessive for anywhere in the South, 8" is plenty for most anything anywhere. I got a chance to ride both at Snowshoe this past May and the Judge was just unreal. It's so fast.

Your best bet, if you can, is to ride both of them, then decide on which one you like one more, because I doubt you'll ever get a definite answer on which is "Better".

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Scott...

Get the Judge. 8.5" staged rear travel, floating brake to kill brake jack, lower standover height, slightly longer wheelbase helps stability, and slacker headtube angle. IMO, 10" is excessive for anywhere in the South, 8" is plenty for most anything anywhere. I got a chance to ride both at Snowshoe this past May and the Judge was just unreal. It's so fast.

Your best bet, if you can, is to ride both of them, then decide on which one you like one more, because I doubt you'll ever get a definite answer on which is "Better".
hah hah.
I'm puttting you on my "Lopes list"....(see DH forum for meaning):brows:

srphillips89

Monkey
Jan 29, 2006
Boone NC
Yes, but I think he still works at a shop that carries the v10 and judge...
Moto is right. I basically have to chose between Santa Cruz and Cannondale

I think I'm going to go with the Judge. Everything you guys are saying about lighter riders and the V10 sounds like it wouldn't be the best bike for me. I really appreciate all the help guys.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
hah hah.
I'm puttting you on my "Lopes list"....(see DH forum for meaning):brows:
My bad if I sounded cocky. I just happened to like the Judge better. Both are winning bikes, and quite frankly I think either one of them would be badass.

Scott, as you know, I ride a Gemini so I'm kinda biased towards the Judge to begin with.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
My bad if I sounded cocky. I just happened to like the Judge better. Both are winning bikes, and quite frankly I think either one of them would be badass.

Scott, as you know, I ride a Gemini so I'm kinda biased towards the Judge to begin with.
oh no. Just a joke brother. I'm just a kiddin':brows: mahn!!

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
oh no. Just a joke brother. I'm just a kiddin':brows: mahn!!
haha that's cool man. Just trying to make sure no more bitch-fights make it into the Threads, thats all.

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you are still retarded.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
What's wrong with just using the Nomad?

Vories had no problems riding his at windrock so you should be just fine with that.
:biggrin:
i love it when folks come up here on something less than a full d.h.sled.

they quickly have there @$$ handed to em.
and their bikes spend more time upsidedown in the parking lot than rubberside down on the trails.

take a real close look at him coming through the waterfall.
superior skill got him through it.
because that bike wasn't diggin' any of it.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
JeffKill has a thread going here in the south forum with the N.W.D. clip in it.

check it out.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
haha that's cool man. Just trying to make sure no more bitch-fights make it into the Threads, thats all.

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you are still retarded.
FYI...I got hate mail from someone with a mentally impaired child on here posting that same comment.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I rode (and raced a little) a V10 in the south for 3 seasons. I liked it. I improved greatly over the time I had it. Never once did I have a problem w/ it. I wish I still had it. Honestly........it rode pretty damn similar to the Glory I rode up in Snowshoe for a weekend. I'd really like to rip up a new gen version.

Both will work and either will be fun bikes. Try to ride before you buy. But don't get hung up on people who base everything on personal bias or internet propaganda.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I rode (and raced a little) a V10 in the south for 3 seasons. I liked it. I improved greatly over the time I had it. Never once did I have a problem w/ it. I wish I still had it. Honestly........it rode pretty damn similar to the Glory I rode up in Snowshoe for a weekend. I'd really like to rip up a new gen version.

Both will work and either will be fun bikes. Try to ride before you buy. But don't get hung up on people who base everything on personal bias or internet propaganda.
I think I ran into you when you where there with your friends Glory. Thanks for letting me try it out. I now have one on order. :cheers: