Quantcast

Downhill riser bar for XC question.

RideFour15

Chimp
Apr 4, 2005
East Taunton, MA
My girlfriend's cousin does DH riding; he bought a set of bars off eBay, but they were cut down when he received them so he gave them to me, knowing that I did XC riding.

The width of them is fine for me (within a 1/2" of my current flat bars), but they have a bolt-on crossbar. The rise is only about 1" or so, nothing extreme. The bars, aside from scratches and whatnot, seem to be in fine condition, even though I'm sure they had some DH use.

So do these bars need the bolt on cross-bar? I don't want to use it because it leaves me almost no room to mount a light and computer, and would sure save me money on buying new bars.

I can post a picture if needed, or get hte brand name. But I do know they are 7005 Al bars.

Thanks!

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Ha ha ha ha no, you'd definitely do NOT need to leave the bolt on brace on, I don't even know why those things found their way from motocross to MTBs. Don't sweat it.

RideFour15

Chimp
Apr 4, 2005
East Taunton, MA
I didn't think so, but I figured I'd ask anyways. He apparantly told my girlfriend (I haven't met him personally) that it was needed to prevent them from snapping.

So I thought to myself: huuuuuuge DH drops..yeah it could snap. Local XC trails...I doubt it.

Now I need to find some paint for the mofos and they'll be on my bike soon!