Quantcast

Downhiller buying an all mountain bike

cowman

Monkey
Oct 17, 2004
Seattle, WA
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting an all mountain bike. I can get decent deals on specialized so I was thinking about the 2010 EnduroSL expert. It seems to have a very good build on it while having a decently slack headangle for a bike in that category (66.5). Does anyone have experience with this bike? Do you recommend it? Thanks for your help!

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting an all mountain bike. I can get decent deals on specialized so I was thinking about the 2010 EnduroSL expert. It seems to have a very good build on it while having a decently slack headangle for a bike in that category (66.5). Does anyone have experience with this bike? Do you recommend it? Thanks for your help!
There was a very positive review in Dirt Mag a while ago. Anyway you'd better to wait for responses of someone here who's ridden it and has some extensive stable to compare to..

toothpick

Chimp
Jul 25, 2007
I was just looking into the same thing - I think if you want a value for money bike it would be a Specialized Pitch Pro or a Giant Trance X2 is my 2 cents.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
here's the dirt mag test.. http://dirt.mpora.com/news/dirttvbike-test-2010-specialized-enduro-pro.html only issue they had was with the specialized branded fork, but sounds super solid!

EDIT: the Enduro Pro comes with the specialized fork, Enduro SL comes with the Lyrik, so sounds like the SL is the way to go. quoted from the comments section:

"Hey Steve
great review – video clip!
a heads up on the 2010 Specialized Enduro SL..
the hot tip?
buy the Enduro SL Comp at £1999.99
send the Lyric fork and Fox shock to TF Tuning, and have them install a Mission Control damper and aftermarket rebound damper, plus work their magic on the bushings and seals, and get the Fox shock PUSH’d
this completely *transforms* the bike and should not cost more than about £250
you can then spent money tweaking things like the cockpit (stem, bars, etc.) and converting to single ring chain device at the front (perhaps with SLX HT2 cranks) and even a Command Post adjustable seatpost
I’ve done this for several customers, it still came in cheaper than the next model up in the range, and really opens up the potential of the chassis and FSR suspension!"

Last edited:

swan3609

Chimp
Mar 18, 2008
not to diss on the enduro, but I work in a specialized shop and I havnt spent a lot of time on the enduro, but my manager, who I hold his opinion very highly, spent a bit of time on a enduro and he was not really overly thrilled on it.. probably works very well just they weren't overly excited about it..

I currently own a Mongoose Khyber Super and I took to this bike very very quickly from my downhill bike.. It has a similar HA as the Enduro (66.5) and 165m of travel. I have more fun on this bike then any other bike I have ever owned.. Its gets the job done on the climbs, but when it is pointed downhill it descends almost like my full 8 inch bike.. and its insanely fun.

lots of people have issues with the mongoose name but if your capable of looking past that name, it is worth looking at.. here are some teasers of me riding it when I didnt have my DH bike for a month.. I rode it in the same specs a day later up a 3,000 ft climb.. its very muli purpose

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I have not ridden one, but I have heard nothing but rave reviews for the Mongoose. The Khyber is a VERY capable bike and well worth a closer look.

You could also look at maybe the Transition Double as well. Or a Sinister Gruitr. Or one of the new Santa Cruz bikes. Tons to choose from. I don't know if the Enduros are still having the chainstay issues they had a couple of seasons back.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I liked the Enduro a lot. It certainly handles the nasty better than a lot of other bikes in the same category. Here's what I though about it.
I'm surprised I missed that review. definitely agree with the comments. this bike is probably more capable than a lot of people that will be riding it. I'm used to a slackish bike as my HA is 66.5 too so didn't really notice any horrible wandering, but I think that's because as you mentioned, the steeper seat angle just puts you more over the bars on climbs and it requires less attention, definitely compared to my hustler.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
I have had the 2010 SL Expert since November and LOVE it.

I kept mine totally stock, with the exception of some Sunline v1 bars, 50mm stem, XT cassette and converted the wheels to tubeless with some Stans tape.

The bike is great for long fireroad grinds, which is what most of the local rides are here. It descends like a DH bike, its scary how well it tracks through rough terrain, way better than I anticipated. I started off riding it like I was riding an XC bike and liked it, but didn't love it. I got lazy one day and rode it like I was on a DH bike and it came alive. Felt like the harder I smashed it into corners and rocks the better it performed. If it weren't for the super lightweight wheelset, I would have no problems riding our rougher DH trails with it. I've done a day of shuttling on it while my DH bike was out of comission and the bike performed flawlessley. The new boost valve shock feels great, more like a coil than any air shock I have used.

Although if you do more singletrack climbs a Stumpjumper or equivalent might be a better choice. I find the Enduro to be a bit cumbersome on tight/technical singletrack climbs. It's a tradeoff for me though as I dont mind the challenge on the climbs, when I can haul ass on the way down.

As far as components go;
-Lyric feels fine, Sram warrantied my 2-step unit when it failed. And I think I am going to replace compression damper with the Mission Control unit as the Motion Control IS is pretty rudementary.
-Rear shock is great, the best feeling air shock I have used.
-Wheels are light, but NOT stiff. I figured I would kill them within a few weeks but they seem to be holding up. I am NOT a smooth rider and have killed Mavic 729s on the DH bike, so the fact they are still straight surprises me.
-Brakes are fine, they are Elixirs which I am not a huge fan of, but they have been trouble free so far.
-Cranks are last version of the XTs, so they are light, and I dont notice them flexing on this bike like I have on others.

Done again I wish I would have saved up a bit more and got the Carbon frame and built it up with other parts. 36 Talas, better wheels, Saint drivetrain (versus the x9/x0), better brakes. But by no means is the build on the SL Expert bad. For the price it's hard to beat.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I have a Intense SS (last years) and it is pretty damn good going up and down.
Rides like a DH bike going down and feels like cheating on twisty singletrack.
Only downside is low BB, but that is a handling trade-off. And it's a bit heavy.

xdoktor

Chimp
Mar 20, 2010
I recently upgraded from a 2008 Enduro to the 2010 Enduro SL and I love it. I'd say do for it, you wont regret it.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Another vote for the Enduro. Loose the bull**** 2-Step (you don't need fork travel adjust with a 75 deg seat angle) and put in a Solo Air cart. The bike absolutely rips like nothing else at 30lbs/160mm.

BTW head angle is 65.4 with a Lyrik...