Quantcast

Downhillers VS Roadies

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Yup 15 pound race weight.... also not uncommon to see guys with bikes like this adding ice tubes into the seat tube to make weight and let it melt off post inspection...

For the most part guys building bikes like this are not racing them.... they just want to have the best of the best for themselves.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Sounds like some of the IF Custom steel frames we have built up, full DA or hi end campy....... Ending in the 13.5 to 14 pound range on some of the 58cm range builds.......
Sounds like it's time for a new scale. None of the 13K bikes I've had on the scale come close to 13.5lbs, especially steel IF's.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'd like to be seen right before it pogo-sticks up my ass.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
• Cannondale SuperSix Evo Ultimate: US$12,100
• Felt DA1 Di2: US$12,999
• Giant TCR Advanced SL: US$10,300
• Trek Madone 6.9 SSL Leopard/Schleck Edition: US$11,623.47
• Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL4 Di2: US$11,000
• Cervélo R5ca: US$9,800 (frameset only)
• Specialized Venge: US$18,000

To add something to the topic, I'd say DHers spent most of their shuttle/lift waiting/parking test riding smoking pot, while roadies tend to use drugs that actually enhance something. As a side note, Dhers do it in public, while roadies tend to do it in their privacy and, actually, pretend to get upset when asked about them.

Regarding light bikes, I've always wondered if beyond a certain limit you get to ride the bike at all, or just hang it on the wall and brag about it on forums. When the mods you do on the bike reach a certain stupidness threshold (=drill holes all along brake levers), I guess that means the reason for your pleasure (and the money spent) is in the single digit scale reading. :think:

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
&#8226; Cannondale SuperSix Evo Ultimate: US$12,100
&#8226; Felt DA1 Di2: US$12,999
&#8226; Giant TCR Advanced SL: US$10,300
&#8226; Trek Madone 6.9 SSL Leopard/Schleck Edition: US$11,623.47
&#8226; Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL4 Di2: US$11,000
&#8226; Cervélo R5ca: US$9,800 (frameset only)
&#8226; Specialized Venge: US$18,000
Take a look at any complete with Di2 or super record

http://www.wrenchscience.com/road/Frames/

There are like 6 there that are 10K + we also have to remember that there are probably 10 more only available as frames that build up well over 10K without even trying

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Regarding light bikes, I've always wondered if beyond a certain limit you get to ride the bike at all, or just hang it on the wall and brag about it on forums. When the mods you do on the bike reach a certain stupidness threshold (=drill holes all along brake levers), I guess that means the reason for your pleasure (and the money spent) is in the single digit scale reading. :think:
I spend some time over at the weightweenies forum, mostly just to see pics of some nice road bikes and some interesting tech stuff. But there are a good amount of impractical/ridiculous bikes that get posted up (and if you want to hear some bike setup snobbery, it's the best place to go). Seems like below 15 lbs is not too hard with regular light stuff. Basically just takes some money. Below 13 you start seeing things like all carbon seats, aluminum cassettes, carbon chainrings, cut handlebars, super thin tubes for clinchers, the occasional downtube shifter...on mtbs you see that plus foam grips and super skinny tires, sometimes combined with rigid forks. I wouldn't say those guys don't ride their bikes...but I can't imagine that riding a rigid carbon mtb with 1.8" tires is particularly fun.